Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

New Clark NA - first impressions

Well folks. Got delivery of my new NA yesterday and spent the entire evening messing with it.

First impressions: Dang this thing is warm! Four-season shelter per the Clark website? I have NO idea how people use these things year round. Okay, I'm in southeast Texas...but still. I hung it with the netting and weathershield tucked away, got in, and was way too hot. No way I could use this thing to just relax in the backyard during the warm Texas summers. ENO DoubleNest maybe?

It was fairly cool late yesterday evening and I was burning up in the hammock. When the sun went down and the temps dropped a few more degrees...it was AWESOME! The weather is expected to dip into the mid-50s during the day and mid 40s at night here in the next couple of days. I'll give the hammock a test during this next week and will report back.

Realistically, we only get nice weather like that a few days during the year. The normal weather pattern here in Houston for 99.99% of the year is hot, humid, hot, hot, and humid. Did I mention hot and humid? That being the case, I can probably only use this hammock a few days out of the year.

I like how it packs up into the built-in sack (haven't actually tried it), I like the insulation pockets below, I love the bug netting and Weathershield (if I could ever get it adjusted correctly so that I could zip the @$#% things up once I get in the hammock!), I love how I can basically sleep in it however I want and move around without fear of tipping over, but what's up with that XL rain fly? Give me a break! Glad I didn't get the standard fly, but sheesh! That's the XL? If I keep the hammock, I'll end up getting a Kelty Noah tarp that's 12' x 12' and dumping that XL fly or using them together.

I still need LOTS of practice with how to hang the hammock correctly and more quickly. I need to figure out the best height from the ground in which to hang. I may end up dumping the XL fly attached to the hammock and run one long ridgeline across the top from which to suspend the netting and Weathershield. I understand those little plastic snaps break easily.

Please keep in mind that I am as novice as novice can get with hammocks. These are just my newbie observations and in no way reflect those of experienced users or someone well-versed in the use of a hammock system. I would do well to spend an afternoon with an experienced hammocker so I could get tips from a pro to help bypass my mistakes or misconceptions.

In order to speed up my learning curve, I have ordered Ed Speer's book "Hammock Camping" and will digest it from cover to cover as soon as it arrives.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I love the bug netting and Weathershield (if I could ever get it adjusted correctly so that I could zip the @$#% things up once I get in the hammock!),
    Probably need more sag than you think, from my experience if the zippers are hard to zip it is hung too tight.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    Probably need more sag than you think, from my experience if the zippers are hard to zip it is hung too tight.
    I got to messing around with it a bit more last night and was able to get it just about right. My problem is going to be getting that adjusted the right way quickly and effeciently each time I hang it. Time and experience will help.

I also think running a separate ridgeline across the whole thing will help. I've got some experimenting to do this week.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    ENO DoubleNest maybe?
    Not when Trek Light is having the sale they're having! http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2375
    Same hammock as the ENO double.

I don't have any experience with a Clark...yet, but I do know I'm glad that I own several different types of hammocks. I get to deal with the same type of weather that you do and can't stand being in a hammock with a net during the summer; not a lot of air movement. Sometimes you just have to pick between sweating and bugs.

The learning curve is part of what makes it fun!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Not when Trek Light is having the sale they're having! http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2375
    Same hammock as the ENO double.

I don't have any experience with a Clark...yet, but I do know I'm glad that I own several different types of hammocks. I get to deal with the same type of weather that you do and can't stand being in a hammock with a net during the summer; not a lot of air movement. Sometimes you just have to pick between sweating and bugs.

The learning curve is part of what makes it fun!
    Thanks for the words of encouragement and it looks like I'll be buying a Trek Light on the 26th! Thanks for the link!!!

Why didn't you buy a Clark Tropical Jungle Hammock? If you camp in such warm temperatures, the Tropical is meant to keep you cooler. Then you retain the durability of the Clark instead of just going to cheaper stuff.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydawg View Post
    Why didn't you buy a Clark Tropical Jungle Hammock? If you camp in such warm temperatures, the Tropical is meant to keep you cooler. Then you retain the durability of the Clark instead of just going to cheaper stuff.
    Valid point, and I considered the Tropical, but in the end...I wanted all the features that the NA offered. I will use the NA during the colder months.

I heard through the grapevine here on this website about a really nice sale on another hammock. Think I'll pick it up and use it during the warm months.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Update:

What a difference a day and a little college ingenuity makes!

Had some time at work today to think about my issues and possible solutions. I came up with a couple and finally settled on the KISS solution.
    You know...keep it simple, stupid...

Last night I purchased some extra poly line, several carabiners, tent stakes, tie down straps, and several different bungie cords. Using the extra poly line and bungie cords, I fashioned my own ridgeline. I took off the XL fly and fashioned my new ridgeline in such a way that the NA is now easily configured more quickly into several different modes...with lots of headroom above me and I'll never have to worry about breaking those plastic clips by stretching the included bungies too much.

I ran out of daylight this afternoon after working on my solution so I'll have to hang everything up tomorrow and take pictures.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Pictures of my new ridgeline and setup

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Is the fly in the above pic the "XL"?

If so, I would be upset... So would my dog.
    ------- AKA "4D's" ----------------
    "Oh yeah, to keep it on topic. I sewed on my hammock today"

"A night above ground makes the next days ride even more enjoyable"

"As for his secret to staying married: "My wife tells me that if I ever decide to leave, she is coming with me." -- Jon BonJovi

Happy Wife = Happy Life" -- author unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast