Clark CAMO North American
    Tarp
    Clark Camo rainfly
    Insulation
    Clark z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Backyard for testing equipment? Good idea. I've just always slept out there for the fun of it...
    That's fun, too, but I get to do that even less often than the testing.

--Kat
    I tweet.
    I travel.
    I blog.
    I Live.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    I plan on being out in the backyard tonight. However, I might not stay.
    Not because of the rain, not because of the wind, not because I might get cold, but because I've tweaked my neck/back and might not be comfortable enough to get to sleep. Sigh.

I'm trying out a thin pad between the layers of my WBBB and a 40 degree quilt. Supposed to get only down to 50 tonight, but I might switch out the pad for the crowsnest. I have never managed to figure out how low I can take that pad. I'm suspecting that 50 might be the limit.

The tarp is higher above the hammock than I'd like (on a hammock stand, so oh well) and I'm sort of expecting the balmy breezes to steal my toasty away.

I did go out and hang the Grizz Beaks on the south end of my tarp a few minutes ago (20mph max se to sw winds tonight).
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Greetings,

I often camp in the back yard or on my porch for gear testing.

Once, back in the days of Minnesota suburbs, I camped in my back yard on my aluminum tube hammock stand, testing some new gear. My neighbor, a lovely woman from Sri Lanka, came out as I was crawling out of my hammock, looked me dead in the eye and said "What's wrong with you? You have a perfectly good house!"

One of my finer moments . . . .

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images

Fail!

ha ha ha. epic fail!

The only place to put tent stakes is where there are plants planted through the landscape fabric. Or tied to various shrubs. Although I did go out and tighten up all the lines earlier this evening, the wind came up and agitated my tarp enough to pull the leeward stakes out, pull out one of the stakes on the grizz beak, and generally wreak havoc on my plans.
    The stakes were skittering around on the concrete pad, still tightly attached to the guylines.
    So, instead of hanging tonight, thumbing my nose at the weather, I have redecorated the bathroom with drippy gear. Phhhhht.

Oh well, there will be other nights! I need to use different stakes for soggy loose garden soil.

Quote Originally Posted by E.A.Y. View Post
    I plan on being out in the backyard tonight. However, I might not stay.
    Not because of the rain, not because of the wind, not because I might get cold, but because I've tweaked my neck/back and might not be comfortable enough to get to sleep. Sigh.

I'm trying out a thin pad between the layers of my WBBB and a 40 degree quilt. Supposed to get only down to 50 tonight, but I might switch out the pad for the crowsnest. I have never managed to figure out how low I can take that pad. I'm suspecting that 50 might be the limit.

The tarp is higher above the hammock than I'd like (on a hammock stand, so oh well) and I'm sort of expecting the balmy breezes to steal my toasty away.

I did go out and hang the Grizz Beaks on the south end of my tarp a few minutes ago (20mph max se to sw winds tonight).
    -Liz -

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    I tested out my set-up in the backyard on two different nights with different types of insulation. BUT... I got wet on my first hammock outing because I didn't water-test my trusty old Kelty Noah's Tarp 9 (which had been in storage for few years).

Be sure to test everything, even if it means dragging out the hose! :-)

Happy napping,
    desmobob

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I hang alot at my Hammock test range/SkunkWorks in the back yard
    all my gear gets tested here befor i take it out on the trail
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E.A.Y. View Post
    ha ha ha. epic fail!

Oh well, there will be other nights! I need to use different stakes for soggy loose garden soil.
    Ground-hog, or the three sided kind, or maybe the big nail spikes from the hardware store? possibly might need to go so far as the snow stakes..depending on how loose the soil is-maybe not so much of a problem after the rain?
    KM (who has 50 huge blacksmithed stakes bought at Pennsic, but sooo not lightweight!)

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I just added an 8' post to my deck last night for hanging. Unfortunately, the deck railing isn't up to the (long term) task of my big arse hanging in my WBBB; I'm going to have to reinforce my deck railing so the new post doesn't fold in on my head!

I do have trees on the side of my house, but they are less than optimum due to being 26' apart, and in clear view of the relatively busy street. I've already had one neighbor ask "what's the big red tent thing on the side of your house for!" (Big Red Winter Tarp). And of course "what did you do that you have to sleep outside!?", and as mentioned above "you have a perfectly good house, why aren't you sleeping in there!"

So yeah, the deck would be more discrete.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    I had to modify a hammock stand for a net-hammock to be able to be in the backyard. It wasn't wide enough, so I extended to risers using aluminum poles. Looks kind of funny to the neighbors, but I don't care, I get outside. In fact, I'm on my way out there right now...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I set up my WBBB at a local park yesterday for a test hang and glad I did. There is no place to set up (yet) in my yard but I had zero intention to spend the night at the park (dozing off to Hip Hop). An untested camping trip would have probably been a disaster.Tarp line turned out to be a bit short. Mini 'biner failure on the tarp attachments (put the good ones on the WB adjustable webbing)...there is a reason cheap 'biners are called "cheap". The set up process needs some fine tuning, obviously. Insulation will be needed though I was a bit warm at 72 degrees with only the hammock (could have been from the exertion of set up and adjustments). Good advice here...now to get a hammock stand for a lab set up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast