Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I agree with qpens. An underquilt is vastly more comfortable IMO. But, $7 or $8 for a walmart blue pad or $200+ for an underquilt could make a difference if you're on a budget. If you have the $$ by all means get a UQ!

As far as making them, well, maybe not a great first project. They aren't too terribly difficult; they just require something I'm still working on: patience. There are directions for the Potomac or KAQ here if you're feelin frisky.
    with a double bottom hammock you cant feel the pad,extremely comfy,warm,and cheap neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    with a double bottom hammock you cant feel the pad,extremely comfy,warm,and cheap neo

I know; I just can't make myself buy another hammock right now.

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post

Where do double bottom hammocks come from? This sounds like something that might be easy to make. Perhaps I could slip polyfill between the layers, or what are the things you might slip in there?

Jonathan

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    neo is a huge fan of the Claytor hammocks. In fact, I think he just ordered one without a net for $30; don't know if it was a double bottom or not. warbonnetguy also made a post a couple of weeks back about 2 double bottom hammocks he made for someone that backed-out when it came time to pay. He might still have those available.

Careful, you'll end-up having to build an addition to your house so you have more closet space for your hammocks.

neo is a huge fan of the Claytor hammocks. In fact, I think he just ordered one without a net for $30; don't know if it was a double bottom or not. warbonnetguy also made a post a couple of weeks back about 2 double bottom hammocks he made for someone that backed-out when it came time to pay. He might still have those available.

Careful, you'll end-up having to build an addition to your house so you have more closet space for your hammocks.
    i think you would need several thousand to need more than a single closet to hold the hammocks (unless you are including the underquilts or are hanging them up)

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    Where do double bottom hammocks come from? This sounds like something that might be easy to make. Perhaps I could slip polyfill between the layers, or what are the things you might slip in there?

Jonathan
    this here is what i use neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
    (unless you are including the underquilts or are hanging them up)
    Not yet.
    I'm going to need a much better job before I can start 'collecting' UQs.

Not yet.
    I'm going to need a much better job before I can start 'collecting' UQs.
    cheaper to "collect them" if you have time to make them

i have a feeling i'm going to try making a bridge hammock before an UQ incase i decide i like the bridge more.

I get it. Y'all sleep outside to make room for more hammocks in the house ... probably explains the origins of hammock camping ...

Jonathan

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    I slept out last night with a hammock for the very first time in my life, I suppose it hit 40 degrees or so. I was using a 20 degree sleeping bag, a space blanket, a wool blanket and a therm-a-rest, with rain pants, a shirt, and a fleece cap. And I wasn't cold, but I wasn't particularly warm either - on the ground, I would have been sweating.

So what do you use to stay warm at 40 degrees? 30 degrees? 20 degrees? What's the coldest you would go down to with a Hammock? At what point to you lower your hammock to near the ground and pack stuff around it?

Jonathan

P.S., Aside from the temperature, it was very comfortable. It did take a little while to get over a feeling of being vulnerable, but that didn't bother me by morning.
    The minority voice around here: I just use Hennessy's Super Shelter ( one HH OCF underpad and space blanket) and I'm usually fine between 30 and 40, assuming adequate bag on top. By adding various cheap light items underneath, I can do the high teens, lowest I've had a chance to test so far. I probably would have a JRB or KAQ or Speer under quilt, except I didn't know any better and got the SS when I made my first HH purchase. But on the plus side, it's a fair bit cheaper than a down UQ, maybe a bit lighter ( not much ) and maybe getting it wet is not quite as much of a worry. And for me, so far, it has gotten the job done. And I hear the SS over cover does wonders, though I have never used it. I might buy one for this winter.

Although, I now have a netless Safari plus a JRB Bridge hammock on order. Other than pads, I have no way to insulate them. If I'm really crazy about that Bridge hammock, it looks like I'm going to be out a few more hundreds for some kind of UQ. Either that, or put up with pads. At least the JRB has a pad pocket. Who knows, maybe that will work as well as Neo's does. He certainly has no problems with a pad in his Claytor with pad pocket.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-20-2007 at 16:44.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast