Snipe
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow/Greylock3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

small annoyance

Hey all, I have been hanging for a short time and have to say I enjoy my hammocks a lot. One thing that has always bothered me though, is a slight crease in the fabric that forms just under my knees and makes my feet 'dangle' or hang from it, causing them to fall asleep. This happens in my HH hyperlite as well as my Blackbird 1.1 single. From what I can tell, all my angles are where they should be, and my ridgeline seems fine as well. Does anyone else have this problem? any advise on how to correct it? thanks in advance!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Billybob58 has been our resident expert on this phenomena, it seems. (my apologies, maybe he's the most vocal?)

Either way, do a search on "calf Pressure". This seems to be a common issue with gathered end hammocks.

Here's one thread...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=calf+pressure
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Alot of people use a pillow under their knees, you can also adjust angle and where your upper body is at. Just remember that one person's ideal angle isn't everyone's ideal angle for their diagonal lay.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have yet to have said problem while sleeping in any of my hammocks, just lucky so far I guess. But now I will be watching for it to happen
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbound View Post
    Hey all, I have been hanging for a short time and have to say I enjoy my hammocks a lot. One thing that has always bothered me though, is a slight crease in the fabric that forms just under my knees and makes my feet 'dangle' or hang from it, causing them to fall asleep. This happens in my HH hyperlite as well as my Blackbird 1.1 single. From what I can tell, all my angles are where they should be, and my ridgeline seems fine as well. Does anyone else have this problem? any advise on how to correct it? thanks in advance!
    The sure fire cure is a JRB BMBH. But really, as they have said, lots of threads on how to deal with this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Billybob58 has been our resident expert on this phenomena, it seems. (my apologies, maybe he's the most vocal?)

Either way, do a search on "calf Pressure". This seems to be a common issue with gathered end hammocks.

Here's one thread...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=calf+pressure
    Thanks for the credit, but maybe not expert so much as just victim. I do seem to have more consistent trouble than many with this problem, but not enough to keep me from using my HH/BB/Speer or Claytor hammocks. But it does almost always require corrective action be taken by finding something to place under my knees.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Sometimes I get that when I first get in my BB but I can usually get rid of it by shuffling myself about a bit. For me I think it's the way I've sat into it and maybe pulled it to one side slightly.
    I've definitely found it happens less if I have a bit more sag in the setup.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    I had this problem when I first purchased my BB. It was bad enough to consider.... the ground. But I found the problem was that I had too much slack in my suspension. I had hung the BB to Brandon's exact description and the problem never got better until I got so frustrated I pulled the hammock suspension as tight as it would go. With the hammock now Four feet off the ground I climbed in, for the one zillionth time, expecting to feel the same uncomfortable ridge under my left calf. To my surprise it was significantly better than before, though with a slight ridge, and I was able to tolerate it for at least a few hours. I realize that this is in direct conflict with what others have experienced and I think your weight, size of hammock, and number of layers create differences for every person.

Around this same time I was at REI, purchasing a new pack, when I found this pillow. At a mere 2oz I had to try it. This is the single greatest pillow I have ever tried for a bunch of reasons. It's nearly weightless, takes up about as much room as a pair of socks, is adjustable, and feels great under my knees as well as my head or neck. I take it everywhere as it can fit in your pocket. I'm not sure though why the manufacturer added any insulation inside as adds nothing to it. You may have to order this online as I've been back to REI several times and they've been backordered since the week I bought mine, and they sellout as soon as they arrive at the store.

The combination of the two has allowed me to get great sleep in the BB - eliminating the calf pressure. The hardest thing now is deciding when to roll out of the hammock.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Banned
    Images
    This was the #1 reason why I stopped using a gathered end hammock and went to a bridge hammock. Opie has one for sale at this very moment. One heck of a hammock by one of our own, Grizz, for one sweet price.

Reason #2 was that I am a side sleeper

Reason #3 was because I wanted to play around with something different, and than fell in love with bridge hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by gRaFFiX View Post
    But I found the problem was that I had too much slack in my suspension. I had hung the BB to Brandon's exact description and the problem never got better until I got so frustrated I pulled the hammock suspension as tight as it would go. With the hammock now Four feet off the ground I climbed in, for the one zillionth time, expecting to feel the same uncomfortable ridge under my left calf. To my surprise it was significantly better than before, though with a slight ridge, and I was able to tolerate it for at least a few hours. I realize that this is in direct conflict with what others have experienced and I think your weight, size of hammock, and number of layers create differences for every person.
    The easier way is to adjust your SRL. If you want it "tighter" like you do make the SRL longer, will let you be closer to the ground with the main suspension at a normal angle.

• + New Posts