Several weeks ago I ordered two of the KAQ DIY kits from AHE. All items were shipped in a timely manner and it everything is included in the kit, including the thread!!!!!!!. I have been graced with a great partner in this endeavor, Mandydawn a fellow forum member and signifigant other. After laying one of the kits out and comparing it to my KAQ New River (see photo 1) we made a miraculous discovery!!!!!! We noticed that if we were to take the quilt and cut everything in half going down the long axis of the quilt we would have a full length quilt for her (she's only 5'2") and a 3/4 length quilt for me (I'm 6'1"). After much deliberation and many moments of second guessing we decided to make the Full Length UQ Kit into a customized full length and 3/4 length UQ's. Please Paul no nastygrams please!!!!!!!!!
Since this was a trial by fire on these quilts we did not make many photos of the process........more will follow as her quilt is built!!!!!!
After borrowing a thread injector from MOM and making many trial stuff sacks from Walmart drybags due to the fact that neither one of us had run a thread injector since 8th Grade Home Ec class, that would be about the time they cancelled Miami Vice from prime time. We also made many attempts to get the machine to run correctly but it took my Aunt, a 30 yr seamstress, to point out that we had the needle in backwards!!!!!!! This was causing numerous broken threads and moments of wanting to toss the machiine through the window while we were learning yet again how to inject thread.
After we get everythiing working we start the project.........It was a very thrilling, frustrating and enlightening experience to make our first DIY quilt. We both worked together, side by side and at times in unison with each other. After seeing how well the first quilt has turned out we look forward to completion of the second customized quilt out of this kit.
The second picture is one of the KAQ New River on a WBBB last weekend.
With no further ado we give you the fruits of our labors, the rest of the pictures will show the UQ at the starting stitch through to it hanging on the WBBB: