Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images

FIRST ANNUAL FLORIDA HANG!!! Jan 21-24 2011 Ocala National Forest

Ladies and Gentlemen—It is with the greatest of pleasure that we invite you one and all to the FIRST ANNUAL FLORIDA HANG in the Buck Lake Campground, Ocala National Forest and January 21 – 24, 2011.

The site is located in the Ocala National Forest, a vast 607 square mile tract of land covered in palmetto hammock, Florida prairie, and pine uplands as well as springs, rivers and swampy lowlands. The orange-blazed Florida Trail, which runs over 300 miles up the state, runs right through the forest and numerous side trails cross the land. The Forest is near the city of Ocala in central Florida and not too far from Gainesville, Orlando, and Tampa (the later with a fine airport).

Our advance team has returned from the field with encouraging reports about the site, the presence of water, and most importantly, plenty of healthy trees from which to hang multiple hammocks. The entire campground is reserved for our use for the whole weekend. This means ample parking for as many as 25 cars (room elsewhere for more), ground space for groundling campers, and lots of trails for day hikes or overnight adventure. Add to that canoeing, kayaking, fishing, swimming, birding, and more.

Florida winters usually average in the 60s and low 70s during the day and drop to a bone chilling 50s at night. Obviously, we cannot control temperatures, but those of you seeking a break from winter’s chill could do a lot worse. Add to that the amusement of seeing us local swamp rats freak out when it drops below 50 and you have a very nice winter break.

We hope that all Florida hammock campers and also our friends, both met and as yet unmet, from every corner of the earth Hammock Forums reaches will consider coming on down to the Ocala NF and joining us for a grand show and tell of hiking and hanging gear and the chance to hike in the warm and see gators, sand hill cranes, armadillos, and even perhaps the enormous legendary Whoopie Sling Tree that ancient Tumucuan lore holds grows at the center of the forest.

Please private IM your interest, or just come on down unannounced. We are really looking forward to it!

Yours,
    Damifino, Islander, Edhess, and me, Flackfizer

Links:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...Forest-%20Home

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=15&iwloc=A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocala_National_Forest
    Last edited by Flackfizer; 10-25-2010 at 12:07.
    Hedgehogs! Why can't they just share the hedge?

FH3 REPORTS AND PICS http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66682
    FH4 In the Planning Now! Ask me for more......
    "Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Sounds like it's going to be a good time. Here's some pics of my last overnight trip to Ocala National Forest to perhaps spike the interest of those unsure if they would like to go or not.

Tons of wildlife, don't forget your binoculars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    DEERS! OMG I forgot to mention the deers! Tons of them! Bears too, but I have never seen one here (only on the AT). And was that a pileated woodpecker in that first pic?
    Hedgehogs! Why can't they just share the hedge?

FH3 REPORTS AND PICS http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66682
    FH4 In the Planning Now! Ask me for more......
    "Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    As a former Central Floridian (Casselberry), I was intrigued with the thought of making this event. However the confliction of dates warrant me to head north for the Annual Mt. Rogers Hang that will officially (in 5 days that is...) take place on the same weekend. As not to be completely shut-out of this event, I will let my brother know of this event as he is a new hanger and could possibly swing a weekend to hang with my long distance comrades.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    FF
    Insulation
    lost river
    Suspension
    whoopies
    ONF is the only place I have seen bears in the wild.
    I think me and the GF are planning on attending this event.
    I couldnt do the test hang up there cause I was participating in a charity fishing tournament down in South west florida this past weekend.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I can't wait for this event. I am going to have to request some time off of work for that weekend as soon as possible. Thanks to everyone who went and scouted out the site to make this event happen. I wish I could have gone with, but I figured that the actual event weekend would be a better weekend to ask off for.

Quote Originally Posted by Flackfizer View Post
    DEERS! OMG I forgot to mention the deers! Tons of them! Bears too, but I have never seen one here (only on the AT). And was that a pileated woodpecker in that first pic?
    It was definitely a woodpecker, but my eyes and mind aren't trained enough on the subject to know exactly which type of woodpecker it is. But that's the only bear I've seen in Florida, I've somehow stumbled across about 8 bears on the AT though. There's also an abundance of wild turkeys throughout ONF.

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    After minimal discussion and forethought:

For those travelling from out-of-state; we're happy to cover the cost of the camp. The camp will be reserved from Friday afternoon check-in through Monday AM checkout.

Many (like myself) cannot make it all days but try to make it for Saturday evening's dinner. We'll be hosting a low-country Florida (shrimp) boil Saturday night.

Any of the FL residents who wish to put a few bucks in the hat to help out is greatly appreciated (foreign donations will be noted as anonymous to circumvent Federal election laws). Any "local" who can donate their effort, supplies or food for Saturday's dinner would be a great help too. Just let us know so we don't end up with duplicates.

Ed, Islander and Flack are working on something additional but their program is currently classified... details to be released.

THE BIG! Attendee List:
    01 - Flackfizer
    02 - Islander
    03 - edhess
    04 - Damifino
    05 - dbriggs9
    06 - pabu boy
    07 - GF of pabu boy
    08 - cfisch9
    09 - zikiguy (+)
    10 - Giggity
    11 - Skeeter Magnet
    12 - Mad777
    13 - itsandy
    14 - Cookie (tenative)
    15 - Caveman85 (tenative)
    16 - WoodmanFla
    17 - Sandykayak

Thanks everyone! Let us know what we can do to make this better.
    Last edited by Damifino; 10-28-2010 at 17:22. Reason: Adding to the BIG! list

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Sweet,
    A big hanging event much closer to home (Brevard County, FL). I've got a couple of other hammock hanging buddies I can probably bring along if we can get some insulation rigged up.

See you there....

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Sweet,
    A big hanging event much closer to home (Brevard County, FL). I've got a couple of other hammock hanging buddies I can probably bring along if we can get some insulation rigged up.

See you there....
    You're in!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast