Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

Interested? Grand Canyon Arizona Annual Hang

In other areas of the country there is a lot of support for annual HF hangs. I wanted to find out if there is any interest in creating something similar in Arizona.

On a philosophical note, I was curious what makes for a good group hang: vistas or generic scenery; campground style or back-country; centrally located or location specific; plop-and-drop or hike in; open-forum or slightly programmed evening?

longbow gave me an idea for a "quintessential Arizona hang" -- something uniquely Arizona that could turn into an annual offering: The Grand Canyon.

I'm still new to Arizona so I'm open to ideas. I've only been to the Big Ditch once, and that was a few weeks ago. The south rim is actually very beautiful, thick with Ponderosa pine and other hammock-worthy trees. I think the North Rim is equally lush, but I haven't been there since I was young.

In my quick casual search, I found two possible scenarios: The Mather Campground, or dispersed camping in the national forest outside the park.

I chose Mather Campground because of its proximity to the canyon, its drive-in location, it is open year-round, has access to water, and because it has a group campground that would easily accommodate more people and vehicles. I think the best time would be when visitor traffic is low, which means the "winter season", mid-November through February. Another open question is whether the rangers will permit hammocks in the campground.

During the winter, the group site fee is lower: $30. Those who participate could pitch in when they arrive, perhaps.

The other option, which I need to do more research on, is dispersed camping in the national forest. I don't know how close we would be able to get to the canyon or if there is any access point where several vehicles can park together. There may be points along the Arizona Trail that would work, but I need more research time.

I don't know if "stealth hanging" is even an option, but I would love to set up a site along the rim.

Anyway, I'm reaching out to all Arizona hangers who have more knowledge of the area than I do. This is just an interest survey for now.

Was at mather cg last sept for my base camp, did a lot of day hikes plus an over night to phantom ranch. Mather is in a good location, short distance to shuttle that will take you almost anywhere in the park. Pay showers close by. Used a tent, did not know hammock rules. Saw a notice to take every thing down tied to trees including clothes lines during day so the elk would not get tangled.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hangs are usually either drive-up (like Hot Springs) or a short hike in (like Mt Rogers). Not too many have hikes longer than a mile or so.

Programmed events are usually just a Saturday evening pot luck, and then day hikes as people choose. And the Mt Rogers hang has the JRB-sponsored raffle to benefit HF during the pot luck.

Other than those, it's pretty much open.

Have you been to these campgrounds before? Need to make sure there are enough hammockable trees at the group sites. One organized event may be to schedule shuttle times to the park for the folks who are making a big trip to see it for the first time. Just a arrival and departure time and location...then let folks hike or sightsee as they choose.

I may be interested in this one, depending on timing.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Grand Canyon

Between Grandview Point and Buggein Hill Coconino Road leaves the National Park after about a half mile.

Transportation is a problem. Taxi fare from the Village is about $40 to Grandview.

Arizona Shuttles has shuttles from Flagstaff to the Canyon and also from Phoenix to Flagstaff.

There appears to be good hanging places around Tusayan, but no direct experience.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Winter Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    This sounds like a great idea. We'd have to move fast to get it set up before the snow falls.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I'd like to find out if any other Arizona natives have any first-person experience or suggestions. I sent off a message to the park to see if they have any regulations.

Using a park campground would make logistics a bit easier, especially for anyone traveling from out-of-state. I suppose it would be possible to do a backcountry permit too, but I'm not sure that lends itself to easy canyon access via the shuttle system.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I dont have any knowledge about the area but I would be highly interested in participating in a hang like this.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Well, maybe we just need to organize it and give it a trial run. I think it is too late in the season for 2010, but maybe spring 2011 or September 2011? I don't want to rush the planning and I'd like to give ample time for those interested to weigh in thoughts and make this happen.

Late September seems like a good time to visit the canyon, but we'll have to book the campground a little in advance and the cost is a bit higher. I think it will work out and be better than waiting into November when it gets colder and possibly worry about road closures due to snow.

Most definitely interested in this!

Hammock
    1.1 SL BB or 1.1 SL Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat dlx & std
    Insulation
    down UQs
    Suspension
    Whoopie+DB+hugger
    Images
    This sounds like a great idea if there are enough hangable trees! I agree that it might work better to be in a park campground at the top. There are many more trees at the top than in the canyon. I do know that you aren't allowed to hang anything from any form of vegetation at the Bright Angel Campground. Not sure if that rule is for the whole park or not.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast