Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    finally got my IX UQ post finished.
    Includes a diagram of how I did the UQ suspension, pics of making the UQ, and pics of my first test hang a few days ago.

http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a...-camping-myog/

I know the rules around here... no pics = didn't happen.
    so, y'all asked for it...
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quick Update: Insultex will soon be available at Backwoods Daydreamer Gear as well as Tree to Tree Trail Gear.

HF Post
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Nice report on your IX UQ! Nice graphics and photos to help tell the story. I am glad to hear you were comfortable at 24*. I made a 4 layer IX UQ but have not yet had a test night below freezing. 70* this past Sunday in SC was nice but not conducive to testing cold weather gear...

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Quick Update: Insultex will soon be available at Backwoods Daydreamer Gear as well as Tree to Tree Trail Gear.

HF Post
    Woo Hoo! One stop shopping at BWDD - Wal Mart better watch out...

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    Nice report on your IX UQ! Nice graphics and photos to help tell the story. I am glad to hear you were comfortable at 24*. I made a 4 layer IX UQ but have not yet had a test night below freezing. 70* this past Sunday in SC was nice but not conducive to testing cold weather gear...
    Thanks Dave.
    Hehehe... I think you'll have plenty of cold for testing the next few nights.
    http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/USSC0140
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks

Three layer ¾ IX UQ with Silnylon 2nds for an outer shell, and triangle suspension ad

For my first attempt at a project of this size and scope I’m happy with how it turned out. No close-up’s because it looks better from this distance. For all you Christian brothers and sisters out there I think Gross Grain is a lot like Grace --- It covers a multitude of sins I’m heading out on an eight mile circuit hike here tomorrow in St. Anthony’s Wilderness Pa, and hope to get some pictures of it set up. I’m sure if I make a bag for it I can get it packed down to a smaller size, hopefully the width of a two liter bottle and no more than 12 inches high. My finished weight with the triangles and biners is 17 oz.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gris; 02-13-2011 at 15:08.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    For my first attempt at a project of this size and scope I’m happy with how it turned out. No close-up’s because it looks better from this distance. For all you Christian brothers and sisters out there I think Gross Grain is a lot like Grace --- It covers a multitude of sins I’m heading out on an eight mile circuit hike here tomorrow in St. Anthony’s Wilderness Pa, and hope to get some pictures of it set up. I’m sure if I make a bag for it I can get it packed down to a smaller size, hopefully the width of a one liter bottle and no more than 12 inches high. My finished weight with the triangles and binners is 17 oz.
    Wow Gris. Looks awesome.
    Are you sure that was your first big project?

I like the mid-adjustment cord lock configuration you used. Really lets you dial in the fit of the UQ on the hammock. I have mine adjusted so that my UQ is diagonal on my hammock to more closely match my diagonal lay... same concept as the HH asym tarp.
    I've put paper clips through the loop of shock cord at each cord lock so that the shock cord loop can't pull back through the cord lock.

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    JRB or DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    On my IX UQ i covered the outside face w/ a 1.9 oz ripstop and cut the ripstop 2 5/8" wider along the edges than the IX. This let me wrap the RS around the edges to form my channels. The only grossgrain I used was for small suspension loops at the four corners. Time will tell how well the RS channels hold up. Worst case if they start to wear I cut off the RS chanels and replace them with grossgrain then... I don't think that will happen though, 1.9 oz RS is pretty stout, but its what I had on hand (left overs!)

What I;ve done is sew a few small piece of grossgain to the RS at the shockcord exit before rolling over the channel. Then the shockcord rubs on the grossgain instead of the the RS. I do this on stuff sacks as well.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks

Set up my IX UQ

Here are the pictures of my first attempt at setting up the UQ. The hike we were supposed to go on got canceled because of snow and ice, so I went ahead and took the opportunity to pitch the hammock and fit the UQ while I was up in that region. I plan on using this UQ on my first section hike (Pa. 325 to Port Clinton) coming up in late March here on the AT in Pa. Hopefully before then I will get the hang of how to adjust it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Just wanted to report back on this again. Took this out again last weekend into low-mid teen temps and I was extremely cozy warm. I did make the change to attaching to my ridgeline using some prussik knots (similar attachment to using triangle thingies) which made a world of difference. That plus the added draft tubes made air gaps nearly impossible. I was able to go to my side and completely switch angles (feet hanging off to the right vs left) throughout the night and it required little more than a tug to ensure it was still wrapping my shoulders and legs properly.

Awesome, simple, effective design. Couldn't be happier. Thanks again for sharing scittlefield!

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast