Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Nice job, Scum, on the draft tubes -- looks great! I can't wait to hear how well it performs!

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    I still haven't been able to hang it an test the seal with the new draft tubes but wanted to throw out a fair warning about using a poncho liner for a shell. I weighed mine and it's 30oz almost exactly. The scale I used is questionable, but accurate enough I believe for a ball park. So, if your concerned about weight, keep it with only the ripstop nylon shell. Just a fair warning...

Hammock
    DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    I'd love to hear how the draft tubes work, when you get 'em tested. If I'm correct in my estimations, my UQ will come in around 9.5 - 11 oz, which is nearly half of what my CCF pad weighs. If your tubes work well, I would definitely try them on my UQ also, and I think I can afford a bit of weight. Now, to figure out how to sew!

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Tree to tree is offering IX for $6.50 a linear yard, but how wide is their roll of IX?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    IX is 60 inches wide
    This was mentioned earlier in this post.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images

Finally Tested

I tested this UQ last night. It performed well beyond my expectation. I started at 13*F temps. The draft tubes sealed things up perfectly. In order to be able to lay on my side without gaps, I strung up the feet end similar to how a 'triangle thingy' would. Worked perfectly. I plan to make/buy a couple to round this thing off and make it fool proof. The only issue I had was adjusting the UQ so it rested correctly at my shoulders. Once I got it setup, it kept me perfectly warm ... until I had to bail.

About 3am, I woke up cold - too cold. So I decided to bail to the nearby cabin. When I got out, I discovered why I was suddenly cold. My hammock suspension had stretched to the point that the bottom of my UQ was inside the snow! Considering my UQ was inside the snow, it was relatively warm.

The tree I had slung to on one side was too big for my tree straps so I had a makeshift strap made from a tow strap (which apparently stretched). The temp when I had to bail was ~8*. I think if I would have stayed out of the snow, I would have been fine through the night!

Final results for me, this will At Least get me through the teens and may handle the single digits.

The 'specs': I had a 0* bag as a TQ, a poncho liner as an overcover (worked great to create a micro climate but built up condensation and ice), thermals, wool socks, a heavy sweatshirt, a hat and a couple of strategically placed hand warmers. Basically, the usual hard winter setup. There was little to no wind and about 16" of snow

Hammock
    DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    this will At Least get me through the teens and may handle the single digits.
    Awesome test! That's incredible, this stuff is like miracle insulation.

I just finished my IX UQ, didn't have a chance to try it overnight yet, but I put it on my hammock and got in for about an hour or so, and it is awesome. I had no trouble cinching up the shoulders, and the foot-end seems okay, but I was kind of curled up and without a foot-pad, so I can't say for sure. Ambient temp was 29, I was in a down sweater with a t-shirt and Dickies, athletic socks and a fleece hat. I was totally comfortable, even without a TQ, for about an hour, and I only got up because I wanted to take some pics.

I have to re-sew a spot on the shell, because I trimmed too close and the stitches ripped out, but other than that I didn't run in to too many issues. Running the shock cord through the channels sucked, but it was my own fault for sewing the grosgrain so close to the edges. This was my first big DIY project, aside from a gathered end hammock I made, and I'm really happy with it. The thing ended up weighing 14.8oz, which is more than I wanted it to, but I think I'll live. Can't wait to try this thing out!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil-nylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Does anyone have any idea what a 2 layer UQ built like this might be good for temperature wise?

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Seems like I've read somewhere that the Molly Mac underquilts are 2 layers?? Might do a few searches and look at the results from his gear.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I have been comfy using a two layer IX UQ without a nylon cover, all the way to freezing on more than one occasion. I'm not a cold sleeper. Most folks will be able to get to 40*F.

I have a three layer 5-in-1 Jerry Chair UQ (3 layers of IX, nylon covered both sides) that easily takes me below freezing. I'll find out how far below freezing one day soon!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast