BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    what is the width of the IX sold on TTTG?
    ...in it for pics.

Images

re

A few thoughts and questions....

How much did the finished product weigh and how big is it rolled up and packed?

What if you build the shell sort of like a pad extender so that you can go 1-3 IX layers as the trip requires? Is this doable?

It sounds like those that already have a UQ, especially a summer or 3 season one may be able to slip in a layer or two of IX to make it a 4 season setup. For that purpose would you bother adding a shell to the IX or can we just slide it in between the UQ and the a hammock?

I have a 1/4" gossamer gear pad I use during summer trips mostly for the bug protection. Do you think a single layer would accomplish this?

The remarks about using packaging foam confuse me. If closed cell foam in general works this well then shouldn't the blue wally pads be good for arctic expeditions? My humble instinct is that either the marketing is over hyped or there has to be something else going on here other than just 'foam'
    It is interesting to see this develop though.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thekalimist View Post
    what is the width of the IX sold on TTTG?
    IX is 60 inches wide
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    IX is 60 inches wide
    thanks Mac!
    ...in it for pics.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    ...would you bother adding a shell to the IX or can we just slide it in between the UQ and the a hammock?
    With or without a shell, you can just lay IX inside your UQ... it works very well!

That is how the Molly Mac Gear nestable IX Inserts work. They are not covered, and just lay on top of the UQ, underneath the hammock.

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Remember that IX must have an air gap to be effective. Therefore, you wouldn't want to pull it up tight against the bottom of your hammock or underquilt. I think the most effective way to use it is to sling it under your underquilt, like a loose weathershield. But, seal up the both the side and end edges to eliminate drafts. This way, it will act as an insulator, windscreen and weathershield. In this configuration, even a single layer would be effective. More layers, with a gap between each, would multiply the affect.

Don't squish IX between your hammock and underquilt. It's nearly dead weight then.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    You're right, Mad777... but it only needs a tiny air gap, perhaps 1/16". If your slack off your UQ suspension just a wee bit, IX works great between the UQ and the hammock. It doesn't do well between the layers of a double layer hammock, though.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images

re

To create the air gap I'm pondering a layer to tulle between the IX layers if the gap can really be that small.

It also sounds like a very small draft tube might help get the fit right if trying to strap it up under the hammock, although it might making rolling it up a bit awkward too.

Or maybe it just needs a skirt around the IX with shock cord sewn into the edge to prevent any drafts so it acts like a giant upside down beanie on the bottom of the hammock. You'd still need tie outs to hold it on of course.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Or maybe it just needs a skirt around the IX with shock cord sewn into the edge to prevent any drafts so it acts like a giant upside down beanie on the bottom of the hammock. You'd still need tie outs to hold it on of course.
    That's exactly the idea that I was trying to describe! Excellent visual!

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    How much did the finished product weigh and how big is it rolled up and packed?
    16.4oz - that's with shell material on both sides and extra shock cord and cord locks.
    IX UQ 42x60 16oz.jpg

Here's a picture with it next to a Crowsnest and a Climashield UQ (46x60). The Down and Synthetic UQ's can squish down a bit more in your pack than the IX can.
    IX UQ 42x60 size.jpg

What if you build the shell sort of like a pad extender so that you can go 1-3 IX layers as the trip requires? Is this doable?
    Yes, this is doable. You'll want some system to keep the inserts in place, as they could easily bunch up - velcro tabs at the corners would be a simple solution.

It sounds like those that already have a UQ, especially a summer or 3 season one may be able to slip in a layer or two of IX to make it a 4 season setup. For that purpose would you bother adding a shell to the IX or can we just slide it in between the UQ and the a hammock?
    I have found IX to work best on the outside of your synthetic or down insulation - it will need to be sized and hung so that it does not 'squish' your other insulation. I think a layer or two if IX is an ideal way to push a 2 or 3 season quilt to a 3 or 4 season quilt.

I have a 1/4" gossamer gear pad I use during summer trips mostly for the bug protection. Do you think a single layer would accomplish this?
    I would choose 2 layers, but yes, sized and suspended properly, definitely.

The remarks about using packaging foam confuse me. If closed cell foam in general works this well then shouldn't the blue wally pads be good for arctic expeditions? My humble instinct is that either the marketing is over hyped or there has to be something else going on here other than just 'foam'
    Microfoam works well, perhaps just not as well. I think your humble instinct is right on the money. In my opinion, IX is both overhyped (read the advertized "one layer Insultex protects a person to -13F. I question that.) AND there is something going on that makes it perform better than simple micro-ccf.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast