Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    I am thinking about adding a reflective space blanket cut & darted to nest above my IX UQ. Have you done that and what do you think that would add to the temperature range of my 4 layer IX UQ?
    Next week I am going to make a PEF Baby Orca with a space blanket layer built in, for TZBrown to experiment with... I have no idea how much the reflective layer will add to the temp rating, but it ought to be significant, like at least 5*F and maybe more.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY ultralight gathered end
    Tarp
    WB big mambajamba
    Insulation
    stoic somnus bag
    Suspension
    7/64" DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Next week I am going to make a PEF Baby Orca with a space blanket layer built in, for TZBrown to experiment with... I have no idea how much the reflective layer will add to the temp rating, but it ought to be significant, like at least 5*F and maybe more.
    well, it will act as a moisture barrier, but IX basically does that already...great idea whoever thought of this!
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Even fools are thought wise if they keep silent, and discerning if they hold their tongues. Proverbs 17:28

Custom hammocks...cottage industry...endless options
    http://www.wix.com/dandeman94/dandemanhammocks
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dandem...10535562357869

Action sport photography.http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trik-M...39451409426834

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I couldn't sleep last night, so I started my IX UQ.
    Really wasn't ready, as I was still kicking around a few design ideas.
    However, I figured I'd just jump in with the plans from this thread and see how it turns out.
    Being 6'4" I wanted to do something longer than 60", but with only 4 yards of IX I figured this was probably about the most efficient thing I could do with it.

What I did differently:
    -I made 1 inch pleats instead of darts.
    48" layer has 6 x 1" pleats at each end. I did not space them evenly. I was thinking that since my shoulders are sort of flat, I'd leave the very middle section flat, and added the pleats out towards the edges a bit.

46" layer has 4 x 1" pleats at each end.

44" layer has 2 x 1" pleats at each end.

I used a 65" x 65" piece of 1.1 oz RS for the bottom cover.
    Folded all edges over to make a channel for the suspension bungees.
    Also made a wider flap/channel on the long sides to act as a seal. I may put some rolled up IX in them ala draft tubes, or may try something else to give them some volume. Not sure yet.

Still have to sort out all of the suspension details.

Likely to use very limited grosgrain on the suspension points instead of running full gg channels for the suspension.
    Also likely to leave the top side of the UQ uncovered.

I thought sil was hard to work with, but found IX to be far more challenging to keep lined up properly. The darned scrim wants to slide all over the place! I HATE to pin, but ended up doing lots of pinning (well, lots for me) and still have some of the worst looking seams I've ever sewn.

More pics:
    IX UQ vs KAQ shaped fleece & nylon UQ

IX UQ bottom side up. No suspension yet.

IX UQ side draft tube rough-in

IX UQ top side. 2 x 1" pleats visibile at each end. Pre-suspension.

Pinning the whole mess together to sew.

Sewing the pleats in the IX

IX on marked and ready to sew pleats

Don't expect to have time to finish it for a couple of days.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I installed the first version of suspension on my IX UQ last night, and have some tweaking to do.
    Wanted to share something I learned, as it may benefit others here.

My FrankenBird hammock body is Polyester.
    I did not cover the top of my UQ, only the bottom.
    I found that when I got in the hammock and reached out to adjust the UQ, it wouldn't budge.
    That darn scrim that was so slick and sliding all over the place when I was trying to sew the RS nylon cover to the bottom is definitely NOT slick up against the Polyester hammock. It grabs like crazy.

I'm inclined to think that this is a good thing, or at least a mostly good thing.
    If the UQ is in the right position relative to the hammock body when I get in the hammock, then the UQ is very unlikely to shift around as I move.
    However, if it is not in the perfect position, then I've pretty much get not choice but to get out to make adjustments.

I have not yet finished tweaking my suspension setup, and am optimistic that I'll get the suspension dialed in so that adjustments won't be needed. If I can't get it dialed in, then I'll likely ad a layer of nylon to the top of the UQ to make adjustment from withing the hammock easier.

Hoping to talk pics of the whole setup this weekend.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Silnylon
    Insulation
    DYI Quilt & Foam
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Here is a quick and easy pattern to build your own a 3-Layer Insultex Underquilt. I wish I had dejoha's illustration skills, but I don't. You'll have to settle for this.

Insultex (IX) requires that the layers not be "squished", but rather hang loosely. The small gap between layers (and it can be very very small and work effectively) minimizes the heat transfer, allowing the Insultex to perform at it's best. The differential cuts on this quilt design force those gaps, so no matter how tight you pull the quilt up under you, the layers will not compress.

I have put this together as an average size - modify to your needs, longer or shorter, increase or decrease the width. The picture is a general guideline, but I have found this particular design to fit very well under a hammock and work effectively.

Attachment 14902

Materials:
    4yds Insultex
    3yds Shell material (unnecessary, but I prefer 1.1oz ripstop to add durability)
    20ft 1.5" Gross Grain (channels)
    24ft 1/8" shock cord (suspension)
    3 cordlocks (suspension adjustment)

Attachment 14903

Directions:
    1. Cut out the (3) raw sized panels of Insultex, as seen in the drawing.

2. Mark your V-cut-outs (aka-pleats). A sharpie works well.

3. For each V-pleat, fold in half the long way, and sew your lines together (you can cut the flap out or leave it, doesn't matter much either way). When you're done, all three layer pieces will have equal lengths and widths - 42" wide and 60" long - by these specs offered.

4. Shell Material Sub-Directions: Shell material is useful for adding durability to the Insultex, but it also adds weight. One good option is to add shell material only to the outside, as the inside will be against your hammock and be protected.
    --4.a. Cut and sew to the same pattern as the corresponding IX layer.
    --4.b. Fold V-pleat over after sewing and sew flat to fabric (similar look to a flat felled seam).
    --4.c. When sandwiching layers together, be sure the proper side of your shell piece will be facing out.

5. Sandwich all layers together in order. Use lots of pins here, as the differentially sized layers will fight each other.
    --Bottom Shell--
    --Bottom IX--
    --Middle IX--
    --Top IX--
    --Top Shell--

6. Sew the perimeter of your quilt, approx. 1/2-5/8" in from the edge. If you sew too close, you may find you don't get through all layers as some shifting may occur. If you've sewn too far from the edge so that the gross grain will not cover your thread, feel free to trim to approx. 1/2" from your sew line.

7. Cut (4)1.5" Gross Grain lengths to the height (2 pieces) and width (2 pieces), plus 2 inches. For example, the width is 42", so cut (2) 44" long pieces of gross grain. For a finished edge, fold the ends in, or heat seal with a candle or lighter.

8. Fold Gross Grain in half (long ways, so the 1.5" gg is now 3/4" wide), pin pieces to corresponding perimeter edges of your quilt, and sew in place, being sure you are sewing through all layers. Sew two parallel lines for added durability.

9. Use 36" of shock cord running through each of the short edges of your quilt channels. Sew one end of shock cord to the end of your channel, and use a cord lock at the other end for adjustment (Be sure to use a good knot on the end of the shock cord so it doesn't slip out of the cord lock). Alternately, you could put a cord lock on either end if you don't want to sew the shock cord in place. This will require two extra cord locks.

10. Run the remainder of your shock cord through one long channel, and back through the other long channel. Slip the two loose ends through your last cordlock and tie a knot. (Heat seal your shock cord with a candle or lighter to keep the sheath from fraying.)

11. Place the shock cord over the end knots of your hammock and use the cord lock to adjust. The under quilt will be able to slide back and forth along the channels for easy positioning.

Notes: Insultex does not stuff well, but it does roll well. Fold and roll your quilt, rather than attempt to stuff it into a sack. This will save a lot of space.

Currently, IX can be purchased here: TreeToTree Trail Gear
    How cool is that thanks...

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    My first test of the 3 layer IX UQ was a success.
    I'll post full details later this week, but here's the key points.

Low temp: 24* F, wind was light and variable
    Was 36*F when I entered the hammock. Everything warmed quickly and I shed my fleece pull-over and wool socks so I wouldn't sweat.
    Woke up a few times overnight and checked temp. Bottomed at 24* and was that temp for about 8 hours.
    Above freezing my back was about the perfect temp. Below freezing my back was a touch cool. Not cold, not even chilly... just a bit below perfect. I was never cold and always able to fall back asleep very quickly.
    Next test will be with the UQs switched. ie. IX on the inside, fleece on the outside.

other gear:
    My DIY Frankenbird hammock
    DIY triangle thingies
    DIY Ogee tarp pitched low over hammock, but not too close to the ground

Top:
    1988 vintage kelty ridgeway 15* mummy bag on top as a TQ
    single layer fleece TQ
    small fleece blanket as a pillow

Bottom:
    closest to hammock: Fleece DIY UQ (single layer fleece with nylon shell on both sides. KAQ dimensions and cut)
    outside layer: 3 layer IX UQ with pleats instead of darts and 1.1oz RS shell on bottom only

Me:
    knit cap
    long sleeve single layer UnderArmor type shirt
    "performance fleece" long pants
    no gloves
    I removed my fleece pullover and wool socks pretty quickly as I was too warm.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil-nylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I would think that the IX would be better on the outside. You don't have to worry about compressing 1 layer of fleece as much as 3 layers of IX. You also don't have to worry about moisture compromising the warmth of fleece as the IX is almost a vapor barrier.

Are you a warm or cold sleeper? How well to you think the IX underquilt will perform by itself?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie Hanger View Post
    I would think that the IX would be better on the outside. ... You also don't have to worry about moisture compromising the warmth of fleece as the IX is almost a vapor barrier.
    It works well on the outside, but you do have to worry about condensation in your insulation. You are the source of the moisture, not the outside air.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil-nylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I was just thinking that any moisture shouldn't affect the warmth of synthetic fleece. I wasn't trying to say which side the moisture was coming from.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokie Hanger View Post
    I would think that the IX would be better on the outside. You don't have to worry about compressing 1 layer of fleece as much as 3 layers of IX. You also don't have to worry about moisture compromising the warmth of fleece as the IX is almost a vapor barrier.

Are you a warm or cold sleeper? How well to you think the IX underquilt will perform by itself?

I can rationalize either way. So, the next try will be with IX on the inside to see if there is a noticeable difference.

I tend to be a fairly cold sleeper. VERY sensitive to not having any air gaps.
    No issues with air gaps with the first setup, and I suspect the inverse to be the same.
    I'll add full details of my suspension system when I have time... hopefully this week.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast