Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    Looking forward to meeting you in Nebraska.
    I will keep an eye out for a hang at Hawn State Park next spring. My wife could visit her brother or friends while I hang out.
    looks like we will meet up at the Northern Hang at some point, i am looking forward to meeting you, and we can discuss it more then
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygzr View Post
    looks like we will meet up at the Northern Hang at some point, i am looking forward to meeting you, and we can discuss it more then
    After I last posted here, I saw you were on the list for the Northern hang also. Looking forward to both.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Hey all, had a great report from a friend about Indian Cave State Park. He was there about 10 days ago and said the roads down by the river are all open and things are looking good. I know the water, even at its worst, only really impacted a couple short trails but it was great to hear things are returning to normal down there.

Hope to see some of you there.

huauqui

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I will be leaving on Thursday of this week heading to Kansas City for the Nascar races. After that I will be heading north to Minnesota. I plan to catch the hang there as well as lots of other touring. I hope all of the fall color is not on the ground when we get there.

My Internet connections will be limited during the trip. I will check in where possible but do not know how often that will be.

The plan is to catch Indian Cave Park on the return trip for the hang and for some family time also. I may need to do some come and go during the hang. I'm running low on hall passes now. I should not look at the Iowa Red River Hang, that may get me in serious trouble.

Remember that you will need a park permit for the park. You can get daily or yearly permits. Yearly is only good to December 31. I'm not sure how they collect camping fees for the back country sites. Burning Cedar and others have hung there and maybe can provide information on that.

We will plan on the starting hang site as identified by Burning Cedar on post #37. Remember that it is a dry site, so pack water to the site.
    I'm sure that Burning Cedar can answer any questions also.

Looking forward to the first Nebraska hang.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Remember that you will need a park permit for the park. You can get daily or yearly permits.
    I think the backcountry camping fee is $12 (but don't hold me to that exact figure). You pay it at the staffed fee station at the park entrance. They will give you a dated permit to be displayed on your dashboard.

It looks like all of the areas except the boat ramp have now reopened since the heavy spring floods. However many highways crossing the Missouri River are still closed (including the route I usually take). So make sure to check before you depart. I usually go here to check.

Water WILL be needed. Don't count on the local supplies (I know its odd; but being right by a large river during floods doesn't mean there's abundant safe and tasty water available).

For those who are interested, I'll probably do some day hiking on at least Saturday.

Since its about a half-mile uphill hike to the campsite, I'd recommend everyone bring their own food. Bless you if you bring a Dutch Oven and share the goodness -- but I won't on this trip
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Since its about a half-mile uphill hike to the campsite, I'd recommend everyone bring their own food. Bless you if you bring a Dutch Oven and share the goodness -- but I won't on this trip
    If I remember correctly you can park at trail head #7 and walk in on that trail and it is much flatter and don't have the hill to climb up onto the bluff.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    If I remember correctly you can park at trail head #7 and walk in on that trail and it is much flatter and don't have the hill to climb up onto the bluff.
    Doh! You are absolutely correct. I've never tried trailhead 7 simply because I like to make it a longer loop overall; but yes, the elevation gain and slope should be much easier going that route.

I've attached the corrected trail map. Sorry about that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    OK...change of plans.

I've healed much better than thought. Also...wife found out about this hang listening to my son and I talk about this...and demonstrating what a lucky man I am...she had an impromptue meeting with my son and has insisted that my son and I attend. Yep...she's insisting that we go...it's part of my anniversary present from her.

So...wanted to know if there's a spreadsheet/sign up sheet, make sure it is the weekend of the 22nd/23rd, make sure I knew exactly where to meet up, what the costs were, and to make sure that Weasel and I were on the list of new hangers attending our first ever group hang.

Can I get a summary of the trip plan, location of a sign up sheet, costs, and even a general idea on how many folks are attending?

Thanks guys...looks like a chance for me to get some learnin' on!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    OK...change of plans.

So...wanted to know if there's a spreadsheet/sign up sheet, make sure it is the weekend of the 22nd/23rd, make sure I knew exactly where to meet up, what the costs were, and to make sure that Weasel and I were on the list of new hangers attending our first ever group hang.

Can I get a summary of the trip plan, location of a sign up sheet, costs, and even a general idea on how many folks are attending?
    Glad to hear you'll make it. Walking Bear is traveling with limited access to the internet; so I'm taking the liberty of posting the current planned list of attendees. Keep in mind that some of these folks responded a long time ago -- and plans do change. So let us know your current plans!!! Here's the list as I know it:

YES, I'LL BE THERE:
    Walking Bear
    AtomicLlama
    BurningCedar
    cfi on the fly
    Dudorino
    Owl (+1)
    Skygzr

MAYBE:
    DigitalApollo
    FORMERLAWDOG
    Hangin'Yankee
    huauqui
    Major94
    OrionFyre
    SmokeBait

I think costs, maps, etc. are all discussed in earlier posts. But if not feel free to PM me with whatever you need.
    David

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Hey all,
    Are we going down the 21st or does this start saturday the 22nd? In post 36 Walking Bear sounded like he would be there the 21st. Just wondering. Trying to find someone to take over a couple responsibilities I have in the AM on the 22nd so 3D (my son) and I can make it down for Friday night. I am unable to be there the night of the 22nd as I am on at work early the 23rd.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast