Near Perfect Storm Hang

I've been waiting for a good night to test out most of the equipment in a good rain storm. Well, Tuesday night they were calling for rain to start after 3am. Perfect I thought b/c if something happens I've already slept enough to go inside and not be too grumpy. As Tuesday night came closer the news changed the forecast. Now a tornado watch, wind gusts up to 30mph and rain at 1.5"/hr. Oh, well I'm doing this anyways b/c it's also supposed to be 70 overnight.

I setup up the Kelty 12 tarp, setup my Eno DN with my new DIY Down UQ (wanted to test it without a TQ at that temp). Then I also setup the GTUL b/c I wanted to see if I could keep both dry during a storm so I can convince wife or daughter to go hiking with me.

Once I got everything setup I went inside to rest, watch tv and wait for it to get dark. I started jokingly asking my daughter if she wanted to sleep outside with me, she said no. I then said it's going to rain and be stormy, she changed her mind and wanted to sleep out there with me!

So out we went, got cozy and went to sleep. I was woken up around 2am when something came loose in a gust of wind and my hammock dropped a good 6". It was just enough that now my butt was barely touching the ground. It's also now raining and I'm comfy so I leave it. Daughter slept well, I peaked in on her a couple times and she was out cold, nothing would wake her. Started getting some large gusts of winds again at 4am that woke me, then some lighting and thunder. Laid there enjoying the storm, daughter got up and hour later and we headed back inside.

Overall a good hang and glad my daughter joined me. Now to wait for a little colder night for further testing.

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Most excellent
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I bbet she will have a great story for school!
    and now, "Onward!"
    KM

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Sounds like some good testing!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Great story and time spent with your daughter.............I tried to convince the signifigant other that we needed to be out last night testing but then the tornado sirens went off and we both thought better of it!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

This morning news said more around 50mph gusts last night in my area. There were a few of those gusts that had me worried about the tarp holding. Although, I did prepair enough for it and double staked the tieouts.

It was a great hang and time together and she said she likes the hammock better then using the tent! She wants to do it again soon. So maybe this weekend for colder weather testing. I can see I'll have to end up buying another Eno DN soon so my wife and youngest daughter can tag along sooner or later. I've even got an idea on fitting 3 hammocks under the single tarp.

Also another note that got me sold on hammocking. The last 3 times we all went camping in the tent it rained. All 3 times there were puddles in the tent and someone or something got wet and misserable. Last nights adventure, even with my butt touching the ground, not a single drop. I was always worried about bad storms with the sides open on a tarp like they are. So if I didn't get wet during a tornado producing storm, I think I'm good.

• + New Posts