Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Diy Winter UQ questions

Hey all,

I am going to be making a down under quilt for winter. I want to have 4" baffle to get me to 0-10 degree range (according to thru-hikers chart). The dimensions will be 42" wide by 48" long finished. I plan on adding 1" per baffle on the outside piece of fabric and plan on making 7-6" baffles length wise (6'' inside, 7" outside).

So now that you know all of that, I am curious if that is overkill for baffle size? What I mean is won't the inside and the outside of the fabric (ripstop) bulge making it even more than 4" or would it be better to make the baffle material (noseeum) only 3" and plan on the "puffed up" ripstop to get me to the 4" mark. I am trying to make it as light as possible but still being warm.
    I have 12 oz. of down (800+) coming from Stormcrow and curious if it should be overstuffed or can I get away with using less and have some left over for another project? I know I am asking a lot but any advice will help!
    Thanks
    Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    I made my first UQ short like you are planing. When done eather froze my feet or my sholders . I redid the quiilt 48X72 baffels are 2 1/2 inches. and it works great. No more cold feet. First quilt had 3 1/2 in baffels. The new one feels wormer even though it has less fill but it covers more. To fill 4 in baffels you would need about 4 more oz of down. If you do the 3 inch baffels and then over fill then 12 oz should be enough.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    Check out Shugs video he is an exert on cold weather hammocking. heres the site.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

Hammock
    DIY gathered end w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by traftonm View Post
    To fill 4 in baffels you would need about 4 more oz of down. If you do the 3 inch baffels and then over fill then 12 oz should be enough.
    My calculations came out too be a little more than 10 oz. or are you referring to the 72" size? What temps have you taken the 2 1/2 down to? I am hoping for 0-10 degree range because that is the temp rating on my bag. I may consider going a bit longer though...but I only have 12 oz. to work with for now..Might have to see what length I can get to before I run out of down!

I've watched most of his vids, they're great!
    Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    I have been down to 25* with 3 1/2 inches and except foot area i was comfortable, I have had 2 1/2 down to 35 and i was alot wormer the the 3 1/2. I think it was due to the extra covorage. Winter has not hit yet in NC but I will test when it gets colder.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    I'm making a 48x60 quilt 3" baffles and 12 oz of down includes an ounce + of overstuff. I'm planning on it getting me into the 'teens when necessary. - though I've been wrong before.

Jbo

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    There's a loft calculation spreadsheet that someone made a while back, that I modified a bit to figure overstuff and price.
    Sorry I don't have any experience with down to give ya.
    loft calculation.xls

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY gathered end w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the help and suggestions guys! I think I will make it a 42" X 50" X 4".. I only have 12 oz. of 800 fill. So my calculations figure about 10.5 oz. with about 15% over fill. This will hopefully get me to the 0-10 range. After reading traftonm reply I thought I should go longer on my UQ, but my calculations with the amount of down I have it won't work. I was originally planning on using a 1/2 body foam/ Reflectix mat to compensate anyway... So i am stuck with this, I think I should get a little more than 4" with this and hopefully keep me warm in the deep Minnesota cold!! Anymore suggestions advice are always welcome!

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcsandSparks View Post
    Thanks for the help and suggestions guys! I think I will make it a 42" X 50" X 4".. I only have 12 oz. of 800 fill. So my calculations figure about 10.5 oz. with about 15% over fill. This will hopefully get me to the 0-10 range. After reading traftonm reply I thought I should go longer on my UQ, but my calculations with the amount of down I have it won't work. I was originally planning on using a 1/2 body foam/ Reflectix mat to compensate anyway... So i am stuck with this, I think I should get a little more than 4" with this and hopefully keep me warm in the deep Minnesota cold!! Anymore suggestions advice are always welcome!
    Using that calculator posted above, your 12oz sounds about right for 42X50X4 with 15% overfill.

Arcsandsparks,

how did the uq come out?

• + New Posts