Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies

any suggestions for using a jrb nest and something else in 20* weather?

Hey everyone,

My son and I are going to the TN hang this weekend and temps are projected to be in the lower 20's at night. I was wanting to ask what everyone would suggest to use to help a little extra. Here is what I have:

jrb uq, 0* sleeping bag that I am planning on using for a tq. I also have (2) 40* bags. Should I try to put one of them in the bottom inside of the hammock to use for more insulation or put in between the UQ and hammock? I also am planning on carrying some heavy socks/insulated long johns. I really hate to buy anything at this point until I get to use it a little more but I do see a winter nest in my future and a couple different tq's.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i'm not giving advise directly towards the "nest" as i don't have any experience w/ that piece of gear, but i know many guys boil some water, pour it into a nalgene, put the nalgene in a sock and put that down near your feet in your hammock. some guys put it b/t their legs near the femoral artery.

i've been down into the single digits with 2 pads before. so perhaps a blue walmart $6 pad is worth trying out along witht he nest.

i do know this though. when "testing" new gear in cold temps, you must have a bail out plan in place (even better to do initial testing within walking distance of your house). i've gotten really close to hypothermic once, and it was scary and sucked really bad. be smart about it...

Hammock
    Mosquito Jungle
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10 w/Beaks
    Insulation
    DIY SPE w/ccf, etc
    Suspension
    JRB webbing
    The 0* sleeping bag as TQ should work well. Definitely bring your wooliest long-handles, warm socks, warm hat(s), etc.

To add insulation below, where you'll need it, you could put one of the 40* sleeping bags between the UQ and the hammock. This would increase loft and warmth IF the sleeping bag is not too heavy, which would cause the JRB bungie cords to stretch and allow the UQ's to fall away from the hammock. (I'll be at the hang-out on Saturday and will have some heavier bungie cord available, if you need it.) If you could rig a suspension system for the sleeping bag, you could put that under the Nest. It all depends on how the individual pieces work together.

Another approach would be to add a mylar space blanket (cheap) between the Nest and the hammock, with or without the additional sleeping bag, or get a Adventure Medical Systems mylar/space blanket bivy (about $30) to use inside the hammock as a vapor barrier.

As always, eat well before bedtime to stoke the internal fires. (not a problem at the hang-out, especially on Saturday night!)

Just remember, "experience is what you get by not having it when you need it".

See you on Saturday.
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll just bring everything we have and try to make something work from there. My boys have a couple of small sleeping bags as well that we will likely bring for my son to rig up somehow. Thanks again!!!!

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Wind Protection

Set the tarp as low to the ground as possible.

If you can rig the tarp with the ends closed or touching that helps, think of the old boy scout A-frame tents.

Emergency - if it gets too cold in the hammock, go to gorund and use the UQ as another layer on top. If no pad and going to ground, use backpack filled with leaves and/or and tree boughs as a pad.

Real emergency - make a campfire
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Wind Protection

Set the tarp as low to the ground as possible.

If you can rig the tarp with the ends closed or touching that helps, think of the old boy scout A-frame tents.

Emergency - if it gets too cold in the hammock, go to gorund and use the UQ as another layer on top. If no pad and going to ground, use backpack filled with leaves and/or and tree boughs as a pad.

Real emergency - make a campfire
    if it gets that bad I'll sleep in the car lol

Thanks again for the info. I'm sure we'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by leeinmemphis View Post
    if it gets that bad I'll sleep in the car lol

Thanks again for the info. I'm sure we'll be ok.
    just bring a tent and you will be fine
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

JRB Hood or similar. Space blanket between the UQ and hammock. Learn to reach down and adjust the velcro under your thighs if you feel a cold spot. 48in or so (I tend to use a Ridgerest often for this) foam pad, locate it from your kidneys down to your feet.

As posted above, gear and systems should be tested before hitting the trail or within a very close bail out.

The system above seems to me to be overkill (maybe 20° in TN is colder than 20° in MT ). None the less, overkill is one technique to avoid the need to test stuff before taking it on the trail.

FB

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    well we made it through but we were a little cold. I added a pad to it the second night that I bought in a army surplus store and it made a BIG difference the second night. It was about 10* warmer the second night and I was borderline too hot. I gotta say that I love this hammock stuff!

• + New Posts