Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

Shamu Vs Uni

OK I like the weights and prices (I am hesitant to buy syn for my own personal reasons) but what is the difference between the Shamu and the Universal (since there is no picture of the uni)? The Shamu weighs 10 oz and the Uni 8 oz...both full length which is what I am thinking of using whether it be down or syn.

Also will these work for my WBBB 1.0 Double. What is the temp rating of these. And why in this case does the syn weigh less then the down's do? Do these "hug" like down? OK enough questions.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I'm sure Mac will chime in in the morning, but I believe the difference is the Shamu has a layer of nylon on the outside.

Hope that helps,
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    OK I like the weights and prices (I am hesitant to buy syn for my own personal reasons) but what is the difference between the Shamu and the Universal (since there is no picture of the uni)? The Shamu weighs 10 oz and the Uni 8 oz...both full length which is what I am thinking of using whether it be down or syn.

Also will these work for my WBBB 1.0 Double. What is the temp rating of these. And why in this case does the syn weigh less then the down's do? Do these "hug" like down? OK enough questions.
    The Shamu has a 1.1 ripstop outer cover, the IXuq does not. Yes it will work with the WBBB. Temperature ratings are a very personal thing, but most people are able to get down to the mid thirties judging from the comments of our customers. Hope this helps, John
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear: Designer of the Switchback hammock, SB Light Hiker hammock, Light Hiker bedroll, Light Hiker diamond tarp http://stores.tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Bought the Shamu, hope it gets here before the 5th.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slings/Buckles

How about pack size?

I was wondering how much room in the pack the Shamu takes up? Seems like it would be very small compared to a down UQ.

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    When it gets here I'll let you know. Of course some pics will be involved as well.

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    I used the Shamu on my last section hike. I was on top of Walnut Mountain on the AT in one of the original shelters, read open to every wind that howled that night. The temps were hovering around 28 degrees. I was the only one there, so I hung in the shelter. I had a Blackbird, down bag rated to 25 degree, GG 1/4 pad and a 3/4 Shamu. I was warm and slept like a baby. I am female and I sleep cold, just for clarification. Mac has a great product for a good price.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs
    why in this case does the syn weigh less then the down's do?
    Using only two thin layers of IX, a Torso Heater, and one layer of nylon or none at all, is minimal material. Spreading a thin layer of down out in a similar manner doesn't work well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs
    Do these "hug" like down?
    You do need to make sure of the fit by eliminating edge gaps, and then it will feel warm and huggy like down. When you get inside an IX UQ, the warmth is immediate.
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterdogma View Post
    ...and a 3/4 Shamu.
    Not that it really matters, you can call it what you wish, but if it is 3/4 length, it is a Baby Orca!
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 11-01-2010 at 06:03.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

It arrived

Got the Shamu today. Looks good, I did a trial run/hang in my garage. The ambient temp was about 40*f. Once I got things cinched up , and figured out and played around with it till there was no air gaps I stayed comfortable, bot toasty but not cold either. I only had on jeans, socks, long sleeve shirt and a hoody, so keep that in mind. Tomorrow I am going my first initial outside hang (over nighter) car camping style. I will be giving a backpacking seminar to some boy scouts, but figured I could use the opportunity to test out my new gear as well. Will post with pics when I get back.

• + New Posts