WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Potential Hang, QLD/NSW, Australia

Well with the thread on the potential group hang for Sydney/NSW memebrs, I thought I'd create a thread to gauge interest for all the QLD (mainly brisbane/goldcoast and outlying areas), and perhaps some nothern NSW members.

I'm in Brisbane, and I don't really know any good areas. I've only been hiking a few times, but I can't remember where I went. One area was around some mountain range, that eventaully dissected the great dividing range, about a 3 hours bus trip out of brisbane. I'll call myself a hiking newb, who is totally new to hammock camping.

Not too sure of a time frame, I am rather busy most of the year, would have to be during the christmas hoiday time period so probably mid November to mid/late January. Or around early - mid July, I should get a couple of weeks off there as well. But please post when you think you might be free, as I figure if alot of people can go then, but I can't go, thats better than only a few people going when I can go, and everyone missing out.

Also, I don't own much hiking gear, and I still need to buy a decent pack, and all the other stuff, and I am saving up for; and will be ordering ASAP, a WBBB hammock and tarp, who knows I may get it for myself for christmas .
    So I've still got to sort myself out in that regards.

We could also discuss whether it would be a
    - hike in, set up camp, hike out sort of deal
    - drive to capsite, set up, drive out (no/little hiking involved)
    - multiday hike, making camp each night (this is what I've done before)

I know I'm thinking really far ahead, and probably overcomplicating things, but I've never done anything like this before.

As far as a location, I don't really know anywhere that would be a good place to hang, maybe a national park somewhere? But I'm not sure on the rules.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, just drop a reply through this thread if you may be interested, or PM/email me with any other ideas or info you wanted, and perhaps post some good hang/hike sites that you know of.

thanks

JCK

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Bump, anyone interested?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    TerraRosaGear Adv
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 900-fill
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by JCK View Post
    Bump, anyone interested?
    Give it time mate. I'm sure you'll get some interest.

Unfortunately I can't make QLD this year, much as I'd love to. If you can get a regular hang going, I'm sure some of my fellow cockroaches could make the trip from time to time. Not like we need to pay for accomodation.

If you're going to buy a tarp, have a look at Terra Rosa Gear (www.terrarosagear.com). Made here in Sydney by HitchHiking. I received my Adventuring in black Sil-Nylon this week and it's awesome. I'll hopefully be completing a review this weekend to post early next week.

Cheers,
    Russ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    TerraRosaGear Adv
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 900-fill
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by JCK View Post
    Also, I don't own much hiking gear, and I still need to buy a decent pack,
    Regarding packs, have a look at some of the lightweight pack makers out of the States. ULA Equipment, Gossamer Gear, Six Moon Designs, GoLite etc.

Most local packs are made of heavy duty canvas and weigh a tonne. Local manufacturers and retailers argue that anything less won't survive Australian conditions. I personally don't agree with this. They also seem to cost a fortune.

I've got a ULA Circuit and it's been fantastic. I've had no issues bushwacking through the scrub around here when we lose the trail or it becomes overgrown. I even took the Circuit on the Kokoda Track in July. In total, I've done maybe 400kms with this pack and it's still brand new. Cost me $250 AUD with shipping when the exchange rate was about 82c.

My 2 cents...for what it's worth.

Cheers,
    Russ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks for the advice Russ, I wasn't sure whether to let the thread just sit and wait for replys, or to keep it near the top of the forum. Its not like I don't have enough time to wait for replys though...its a long way off.

I'm definately been looking at buying gear from overseas, I just can't justify the price of buying gear locally, when I can get the same if not better quality gear at a cheaper price. The only thing I think I'll buy locally is boots.

I'll also check out the terra rosa gear tarps, they seem great. I'm probably going to get a tarp and hammock from warbonnet outdoors, just so they are together, but I'd like to get a good quality tarp for overnight trips or days where I don't take the hammock out with me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Count me in JCK. Propose some dates when you are ready. Happy to lend you some gear for the trip.

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    I would love to get up that way. When dates and locations come about Ill know if I can get there.
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Still looking at suitable dates, but I'd thougt I'd suggest a few places. I have never been to any of them, but know of them through mates.

I used google maps and set it as if you were driving from brisbane CBD, so postcode 4000. Depending on where you live this would be a longer (like myself) or shorter drive.

Lamington National Park - 1 hr 33 min

Border Track - 42km (could make this a 2 day hang)
    http://www.lamingtonnationalpark.net...Scene/bord.htm

Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk - 54km
    http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/gre...and/about.html

D’Aguilar
    National Park - <1hr
    http://www.aussiebushwalking.com/QLD...National_Park/
    Not sure of the bushwalks, but there appears to be several of them, as well as many campsites, with a short hike in.

here is a map of the southern part of the D'Aguilar National Park - http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/dag...-trail-map.pdf

Are there any other places that you've been to or heard of?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The first two look interesting. I haven't done a walk down that way for many years.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    just thougt I'd update this thread with some dates.

I'm free from the 16th to the 26 of Feburary. These are not set in stone yet, stil have to confirm them, but I will most likely have this time period off, and so this is when I would be available to do something.

I bought/got quite a bit of gear over the christmas break, hammock, tarp, boots, UQ. Still need to get a bit more, (stove, pack, stakes, clothes)

I was thinking of doing a 3 - 5 day hike, one that was at a medium - easy pace, to test all my new gear.

Looking at the Gold Coast hinterland great walk, or possibly the sunshine coast great walk. Both of these are about 100 km drive from brisbane south and north respectively.

Feel free to chime in with other locations.

I will ring/email the NP's and find about about fees and permits.

I am still all new to this, last hike I went on was about 4 years ago, so I don't know what it will be like with the school holidays, and with the recent rain thats been happening in QLD.

any thoughts/opinions appreciated, I'd like to do this, as I need to get out, had a rather busy and eventful 2010.

JCK

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast