Thread: Trip Report #2

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    [QUOTE=txulrich;2091]What park? I grew up in SE MI and have prolly been there!

It's part of the Pinckney Recreation Area. I'm sure you've been there...it's extremely popular for mountain bikers, so that's the only drawback of hiking out there...on nice days you're constantly having to step aside for them. Funny...didn't see a soul last Saturday in the cold windy wet weather....wimpy bikers!

As for fire, I actually carried in some of those firestarters you use in your fireplace. The problem was location. The wind was blowing so hard we wouldn't have been able to get anything started there....maybe could have if I were in a better area that was protected from the wind a bit. I agree...I think having a fire would have allowed us to stay outside for several more hours. I'm usually pretty good at making fires (sort of a pyro), but have yet to conquer the soaked wood issue. Thanks for the ideas.

I also think that camping in a more sheltered area would have been impossible for my ground dwelling friends due to the slopey uneven ground....God...I love my hammock!
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Stealthing ability would of course be vastly improved by having a Black Cat tarp.....too bad they're not available commercially
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    must have one empty head full of hot air, because I'd bet I lose 95% of my body heat through my head/ears.
    Yeah I can see that.

Some denatured alcohol works really well in a pinch to get a fire starter. I still joke around with my dad because he seems to need some on my overnights with him to get a fire going. The wood is usually wet through. Once the fire gets going, we set the wet wood next to the fire to dry out.

The park in Cincy Doctari and I went to only has 1-2 rangers on duty at a time. They are usually busy pulling over speeders or watching boaters on the lake.

Try a torso pad underneath if you can. I was amazed how much I get chilled when my back/butt gets chilled.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    If the wood is really drenched and/or you need a fire in a hurry, gather up some medium-sized tinder (~ 1/4" thick) and make a teepee over top of your stove. Light it and wait. You'll be amazed how well it works. Just make sure you remove your stove pretty quickly after the stuff catches!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Search for "split wood fire." It takes a while, but I've started fires in the rain before when all the normal wood was soaked through. Figure out how to identify pitch wood, too.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    If you like pitch wood, Jeff, you're gonna love Fayettenam. JimTanker and I ran into a guy in Uwharrie who told us that the woods around Fayetteville are full of pitch pines...

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I use cotton balls soaked in Vaseline for firestarters with maybe a shot of alcohol if needed. If I need dry tender to start a fire I will find a large stick and then use a knife to strip away the outer, wet wood to get to the inner, drier wood. Sometimes you can pull bark off of downed or dead trees and scrape the back, which is uually dry, to get tender.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Anyone heard of pine knots? Or is that just an Arkansas thing? Thats mostly what I use for fire starter.

toilet paper and olive oil is my preferred fire starter - I carry both anyways for other reasons so multiuse makes sense

wrt wet wood - 1.) try to find wood that is not in direct contact with the ground; 2.) split the wood to get to the dry center

Hammock
    HH ULBP with Mod#2
    Tarp
    8x10 Sil
    Insulation
    Nest or HHSS
    Michele, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed report . hope your next trip is even better. i know you want to hang your whole thru if you can but with the blue pad,nest and 20 degree bag you would be set up nice if you had to use the shelter or ground one night. its sounds like to cover every possible wheather system that "could" happen in the beginning of your hike you my carry too much bulk or weight.what your carrying now seems reasonable. i'm starting march 27th and will be hanging to 20 degrees after that i may, yes, go to the ground. i'm still working on a few kinks in my set up and will post as soon as the weather drops again

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast