Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Ok, now I have a problem. What should the measurements be? I figure 110" long. The width is a problem though. My material isn't very wide, and it looks like I will have to sew three pieces together lengthwise to be able to go around my underquilt and ridgeline. That's gonna make this thing really heavy. Might have to wait until I can hang my hammock and measure around everything to see the needed width.

Images
    so these hammock socks just hang loose? when the wind blows does it just get pushed up against the hammock? is it for keeping wind from penetrating the hammock fabric, or more for keeping it from coming in through the netting?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    Ok, now I have a problem. What should the measurements be? I figure 110" long. The width is a problem though. My material isn't very wide, and it looks like I will have to sew three pieces together lengthwise to be able to go around my underquilt and ridgeline. That's gonna make this thing really heavy. Might have to wait until I can hang my hammock and measure around everything to see the needed width.
    i like the idea of joining the pieces of fabric together & hanging them over the ridge line, w/ a pad & maybe some weight in the hammock & the under quilt on too.
    then pin it underneath, take it off & sew.
    this will give you a more realistic idea about what's needed for your hammock.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    so these hammock socks just hang loose? when the wind blows does it just get pushed up against the hammock? is it for keeping wind from penetrating the hammock fabric, or more for keeping it from coming in through the netting?
    i believe they can vary quite a bit in how they are put together but the basic idea is kinda like being inside a double wall tent... a separate, waterproof fly on top & a breathable, wind free environment inside the body, or in this case the sock.

but i think to much excess, loose fabric that blows in the wind is going to take some away from the sock because of the billows action.

that's why i'm working on a travel pod (which is basically a sock w/ a zipper) that will be held out a few inches by the spreader bars & weighted from below by a few gear items. this should create a more stable, breathable, shell.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    NCPatrick has made several socks so he may be able answer better than me, but the last one I made used 2 pieces of 50" 1.1oz fabric sewn together and tapered on the ends with zipper access. I thought that the 2 pieces of 50" fabric sewn together was no going to be enough but it ended up being a little more than needed. As far as weight, it ended up being about 10oz and was about 125" long when finished.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Thanks SlowHike and Headchange. I will sew two pieces together, and drape them over my hammock. Then maybe pin were I want the other seam to go.

Try and find a "Body double" for the pinning part! the hang of my hammock changes a lot between the occupied and empty states....
    HTH, Betsy

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beamarshall View Post
    Try and find a "Body double" for the pinning part! the hang of my hammock changes a lot between the occupied and empty states....
    HTH, Betsy
    good advice. & hang it basically the way you normally do.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are the pages where I made socks:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTravelPod.html
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockSock.html

One thing I've noticed is that having the zipper run right across the top of the hammock can stress it when you get in and out...so make sure the zipper is long enough that you'll have enough sag, and all of the force goes on the hammock and not the zipper. You can rotate the sock while you get in depending on how you make it...that'll help.

warbonnet - yes, they hang loose either over a fixed ridgeline or just around the hammock. It gives dead air space below and stops airflow above. In strong winds it can blow up against the hammock on the windward side but it still provides ~10F increase in temps. If it's big enough to go over the ridgeline, you can hang your pack from the ridgeline and over the windward side of the hammock, inside the sock, to keep the sock farther away from the hammock.

I can immediately tell a difference on my nose and toes when I use my sock...even a slight wind blowing over the hammock can chill my face and feet, but with the sock it's not an issue. Just the temps to deal with.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    When I made mine (based on Just Jeff's and blackbishop351's ideas as well as some others) I made the zipper really long. I use it more like a travel pod. There's NO pressure on the zipper on mine.

I used 1.9 DWR, and get lots of ventilation from the ends, which I don't cinch completely closed. It may be heavier than you need, or that you would make for yourself, although I do think the DWR can block more of the wind. I recently slept in the backyard at 28F with it, and it worked fine.

I made mine (thread is here) with
    2 sheets of 125" x 60" 1.9 oz. DWR ripstop sewn together to form a tube, with a 96'-ish #3 zipper (with 2 reversable pulls that close head-to-head) at one seam and paracord drawstrings at the ends.
    Last edited by NCPatrick; 11-26-2007 at 08:49.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast