Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Straps w/Tri-glide

Question Newb 'mocker Looking for Insight

I'm new to hammocks and I'm wanting to get one for camping/lounging. I didn't know it would be so complicated (and maybe it shouldn't be). I've browsed these forums and the rest of the interwebs for days trying to find the right mix of things. Here's what I've come down to...

Eno of Hennessy? Looking at it, it seems like an Eno would cost "around" the same as a HH after you get the bug net, tarp, etc. But is the HH better? Or would it be easier to lounge in an Eno and just get a bug net, etc to take camping. [Weight isn't an issue, btw]. Is the flatter lay in HH that much better than an Eno? Is it easier[/possible] to lay on my side in one over the other?

From what I've read, the bottom entry is a pain--but the new expedition has a zipping side entry, and a larger tarp. Eno looks really easy to hang with those straps (even though they're nylon... hopefully I could find some poly straps and figure out an easy way where I just clip a caribiner up to the straps from the hammock). It seems to come down to preference, which is more comfortable for each person.. but I have no way of trying a HH.

If Eno, SN or DN? I have wide shoulders, if that makes a difference. Also, would I need to do a lot of modding to the eno, or just get some poly straps?

I'm going to try a friends eno dn some time this week, but I still won't be able to compare it to a hh. I'm sure more questions will come (about suspension, tarps, etc). I've bounced back from Eno and HH for days, looked at others as well, but those seem to be the prominent ones.

Sorry for the long post.. feel free to reply to whatever your expertise/experience is in. Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Go ahead and get a Warbonnet Black Bird double. Built in bug net, rommy and very confortable. If you decide you do not like it you can list if for sell on the forum and it will sell in a few hours.

I have Eno DN that is my lounging hammock in non buggy areas.

just my 02 cents
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    As you will soon find out the reason there are so many different hammocks is because people are different. What is amazing for one person can be down right horrid for another. I've never used either an eno or a HH personally so I can't compare them well for you, but they will both have pros and cons. Ultimately you end up either A: going on out a limb and buying something getting it and trying it and reselling if you don't like it, or B: finding someone close to you that will let you see/test their gear so you know if you like it (option B is recommended if you can do it). Just remember that everyone can/will have a preference and the longer its been there the more set it will be and your "best" isn't going to be identical to theirs more often than not.

On a side note if you do buy blindly I'd almost say find an REI as they will always take it back if you decide you don't like it and they stock both of the 2 you are looking at.
    Last edited by tbctx; 10-25-2010 at 20:02. Reason: added a side note

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Straps w/Tri-glide
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Go ahead and get a Warbonnet Black Bird double. Built in bug net, rommy and very confortable. If you decide you do not like it you can list if for sell on the forum and it will sell in a few hours.

I have Eno DN that is my lounging hammock in non buggy areas.

just my 02 cents
    Those do look good... especially coming with the poly webbing suspension. It seems to be a bit expensive. Why this one over a HH that comes with the tarp and everything else (for ~$130)?

Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    As you will soon find out the reason there are so many different hammocks is because people are different. What is amazing for one person can be down right horrid for another. I've never used either an eno or a HH personally so I can't compare them well for you, but they will both have pros and cons. Ultimately you end up either A: going on out a limb and buying something getting it and trying it and reselling if you don't like it, or B: finding someone close to you that will let you see/test their gear so you know if you like it (option B is recommended if you can do it). Just remember that everyone can/will have a preference and the longer its been there the more set it will be and your "best" isn't going to be identical to theirs more often than not.

On a side note if you do buy blindly I'd almost say find an REI as they will always take it back if you decide you don't like it and they stock both of the 2 you are looking at.
    Yea, that's exactly where I'm at now. I think I just need to go with one. (I will try out the Eno DN sometime this week, and if it's comfortable I guess I'll get one and try it). I'm not familiar with REI but have visited the site after seeing it on here. I didn't know that take things back like that.. so that's really good to know.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    The HH is a mass produced item making its production slightly cheaper. the warbonnet stuff is all made by a single person (the maker is a "cottage industry" member of the forums). It is one of the more popular types of hammocks and does tend to sell rather quickly on the for sale boards if it turns out to not be your ideal hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You are going to find that a large majority of members have more than one hammock so it is hard to recommend just one IMO.
    For lounging the ENO double over the single for sure. The extra width allows for a more diagonal and thefore flatter lay. Stay away from the ENO straps and get polyester straps.
    The Warbonnet Blackbird is very popular and for good reason because it is a quality, comfortable piece of gear. Its well worth the money.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    You are going to find that a large majority of members have more than one hammock so it is hard to recommend just one IMO.
    For lounging the ENO double over the single for sure. The extra width allows for a more diagonal and thefore flatter lay. Stay away from the ENO straps and get polyester straps.
    I agree entirely with you on this. I have both an ENO Doublenest (and if you go with ENO definitely do the DN, I first got the SN and soon after gave it to my brother and bought myself the DN) and a HH Explorer Deluxe. I enjoy them both, but for two different purposes. For lounging and reading a book in a park or the backyard I use the ENO, but when I want to go camping the HH is just better suited for my needs. Also, if you buy the ENO, whatever you do, do not buy the slap straps, they stretch way too much.

You will definitely find out that every different hammock offers its own different features. Even though I have both the ENO and the HH, I still can't wait until I can afford to get the WBBB. I love the shelf concept!

One more thing to know that might have an impact on your choice, if you have not seen it yet you should check out 2q and zq's site to see the modifications they make to Hennessy Hammocks, it has definitely opened up a new world of possibilities to me once I found out about that on this site. Here is a link:

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/id2.html

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamba
    Insulation
    StormCrow UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    "Go ahead and get a Warbonnet Black Bird double. Built in bug net, rommy and very confortable. If you decide you do not like it you can list if for sell on the forum and it will sell in a few hours."+1

I bought the WBBB and a tarp from Brandon and I have no regrets.
    The only thing I have done is added whoopie slings, but the straps that came with the WBBB worked fine also.
    I also use a Big Agnes memory foam pillow, but not everyone needs a pillow.
    Hope this helps.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I own the ENO Double and the HH Expedition. The HH Exped has been modified; the bug net has been removed so it is a top loading hammock. However, for reasons I can't quite put my finger on, when I reach for a hammock I reach for the ENO. I can't tell you what the difference is because I have never had a bad night in the Hennessey; I just like the ENO better.

I don't use a bug net on any of my hammocks, I treat all gear with Permetherine to take care of the bugs, so a full bug net is not on my list of must have's. Also, the Hennessey tarp is small, go for the upgraded tarp if you like real weather protection or want a place to hang out in during rainy weather.

Both have a very good lay although the ENO takes more time initially to set up due to no structural ridgeline. Once you get the sag figured out, or add your own ridgeline, set up is about the same. You will proly want to change the Hennessey suspension (most do it seems) as well as the ENO so pretty even there. Both will allow you to lay asym, side sleep or anything in-between.

The Hennessey is grab and go kit, the ENO will take some further research to get the other components (bug net, tarp).

My advice, buy both...
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I like to recommend the grand trunk ultra light as a first hammock.
    its $20. and you can use it as a learning tool. put whoopieslings on it, add a ridge line. tinker around with it. I use it as a second layer for my HH sometimes. Then you will have a hammock for a friend once you decide you have to have a WBBB. and it makes a great lounge hammock for campsites. did I mention its only $20.
    Because you fall through the clouds if you try to lay on them, so the next best thing is a hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast