Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Dyneema
    Insulation
    Renagade/Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutch Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I haven't posted anything yet, as I'm neck-deep in writing/updating my book to v2. As I work on the new illustrations, I'll post the result. I don't have a timeline yet, so I don't want to make any promises.
    Hello, Dejoha! Just curious if you've made any further progress on Ver.2, and I missed it. Summer it right around the corner, and I'm about to start my DIY Hug soon - just curious. Cheers.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images

FYI

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    They were in the store. I used tan, but black was available too.
    I made one using the $5 Walmart window sheer:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...colate/5996096
    I used the weights vs. shock cord and it seems to work - easy to tuck into UQ and it rolls up to the size of a baseball (very light too). No bugs here until April so testing will continue then. My only concern is how well it will breath to vent heat (or will the Wal-Mart window panel be to hot in the summer).
    Thank-you very much for posting these plans. A great bug net for under $5. This brings my DIY hammock system to the same capabilities as my HH.
    FYI - I ended up adding the shock cord - a much better hold in windy condition or if you move around. I'm still thinking this Walmart solution may be too hot in the summer.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge
    They were in the store. I used tan, but black was available too.
    I made one of these this morning using this:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...colate/5996096
    I used the weights vs. shock cord and it seems to work - easy to tuck into UQ and it rolls up to the size of a baseball (very light too). No bugs here until April so testing will continue then. My only concern is how well it will breath to vent heat (or will the Wal-Mart window panel be to hot in the summer).
    Thank-you very much for posting these plans. A great bug net for under $5. This brings my DIY hammock system to the same capabilities as my HH.

I might try this. Thanks for posting. Where did you end up putting your shock cord?

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naperica View Post
    I might try this. Thanks for posting. Where did you end up putting your shock cord?
    I tied a knot (half hitch) in the two window panel corners that are at the foot end.
    Then used a shock cord loop (6" to 8" or so) and use a Girth hitch (or cow hitch) to attach it above the knot on one side of the widow panel.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/girth/
    On the side of the window panel without the shock cord, double up the knot (to make it fatter on the 2nd side).
    After you get in (head end secured to hammock) and pull the foot end of the net over you, reach underneath and wrap the shock cord around the other side of the window panel (above the 2nd 'double' knot) so it is under your thigh/butt and holding the two ends of the window panel closed. I do 2 wraps - 2 wraps holds and is easy to unwrap when you want to get out. Using shock cord allows you to just pull the net up and over you head if you would need to get out in a hurry.
    The WalMart window panels add about 10F - I find it too warm/humid to use above 68F to 70F without a breeze. This is due to the very small holes in the window panel - no bugs get in but it doesn't breath as well as regular bug netting but it sure is nice on chilly nights.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 08-05-2014 at 10:06.
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    hodge-podge
    I tied a knot (half hitch) in the two window panel corners that are at the foot end.
    Then used a shock cord loop (6" to 8" or so) and use a Girth hitch (or cow hitch) to attach it above the knot on one side of the widow panel.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/girth/
    On the side of the window panel without the shock cord, double up the knot (to make it fatter on the 2nd side).
    After you get in (head end secured to hammock) and pull the foot end of the net over you, reach underneath and wrap the shock cord around the other side of the window panel (above the 2nd 'double' knot) so it is under your thigh/butt and holding the two ends of the window panel closed. I do 2 wraps - 2 wraps holds and is easy to unwrap when you want to get out. Using shock cord allows you to just pull the net up and over you head if you would need to get out in a hurry.
    The WalMart window panels add about 10F - I find it too warm/humid to use above 68F to 70F without a breeze. This is due to the very small holes in the window panel - no bugs get in but it doesn't breath as well as regular bug netting but it sure is nice on chilly nights.

Thanks. I picked up a window panel at a consignment store for $1, so I am going to try this soon.

Hammock
    DIY HH, DIY BB, DIY Stretchy side
    Tarp
    Any, keep you dry
    Insulation
    DIY IX + down UQs.
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hey Derek, how do you keep the shotchord behind your back from riding up? I have put little loops on my hammock and am going to test it out soon.

Ghillieshot

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    I just started making one of these bug nets tonight using the Walmart sheer panel. I am going to try to make a couple of pockets in the net and use a pole to spread the net open, similar to the tarp mod.

I hope to have it finished tomorrow and test it out. I hope that it is not going to be to hot when used in warm weather. I am hoping to use this in a couple of weeks for a week at the Boy Scout summer camp.

I borrowed an ENO bug net from a friend last weekend and did not like how it fully enclosed my hammock.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoutmaster1056 View Post
    I just started making one of these bug nets tonight using the Walmart sheer panel. I am going to try to make a couple of pockets in the net and use a pole to spread the net open, similar to the tarp mod.

I hope to have it finished tomorrow and test it out. I hope that it is not going to be to hot when used in warm weather. I am hoping to use this in a couple of weeks for a week at the Boy Scout summer camp.

I borrowed an ENO bug net from a friend last weekend and did not like how it fully enclosed my hammock.
    I find the window sheer too hot above 60F when there isn't a breeze, but maybe your pole mod will provide more ventilation.

If not, you will have learned/know how to make one out of no-see-um bug netting and the window sheer can be used in the winter (warms your head 10 degrees or so).
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Hexon halfwit
    Tarp
    Zpacks standard
    Insulation
    DIY apex quilts
    Suspension
    Whoooopeeeee
    I have 1 made out of the window sheer. It works very well and I was glad to have it. That said, at $6.50/yd, you cant go wrong with the ripstop by the roll .5 oz/yd netting. I now have a sewn on version that adds about 1.5ozs total to my hammock (same would be true if it were a hug). I have spent so much extra money trying to go cheaply first and then buying what I should have in the first place. I have yet to try it anywhere but the backyard, but I think it would breath better.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    gnomad : I'm at the start of the diy cheap route. bought some sheer curtains from Walmart the other day and wanted to try making my own bug net. I'm conflicted with not knowing if it's a great idea.. wasting $$ in the attempt to save $$ ... but spending $70 or so on a pre-made net is hard for me to swallow... in the mean time I'm still researching
    So much to explore, so little time!

Hogshop.ca

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast