Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prussik cordage

Prussik cordage

Just got back from a two-day camping trip. Spent two nights in my hammock, and, as usual, spent WAY too much time contemplating mods I needed to make.

First off is a new system for my tarp. I strung a line above my hammock, leaving the tail long enough to tie one corner grommet of my tarp, while using a carabiner to secure the diagonal opposite corner to the other hang point using a long loop from the ridge line. Second night, I adjusted the height of my tarp, which was not bad, but required more effort than I wanted it to. So...I plan to hang a taut ridge line, and secure the tarp to it via prussiks and carabiners, making adjustment and installation much simpler. I have probably a mile of rope and assorted cordage for work, but I don't like using my high-dollar stuff for non-life-support stuff. So, I'm looking for econo-cordage for prussiks. What are y'all using? I'm thinking 5mm would be plenty strong. All my prussic cordage is 3/8" for climbing....way too bulky for making 12" prussiks for a hammock tarp.

Secondly is a caddy for overhead storage. Wallet, headlamp, keys, pistol, etc. A friend mentioned he'd seen some folks were making "mini-hammocks" to suspend from the ridge line for a caddy. That might be doable. Anyone here do that?
    Last edited by born2climb; 10-01-2018 at 06:30.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    For what you are doing just about anything will do. I use 1/8" braided nylon rope I have lots of. You could also use 550 paracord or even dress shoe strings. Now really a big deal go with what you have.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by born2climb View Post
    Just got back from a two-day camping trip. Spent two nights in my hammock, and, as usual, spent WAY too much time contemplating mods I needed to make.

First off is a new system for my tarp. I strung a line above my hammock, leaving the tail long enough to tie one corner grommet of my tarp, while using a carabiner to secure the diagonal opposite corner to the other hang point using a long loop from the ridge line. Second night, I adjusted the height of my tarp, which was not bad, but required more effort than I wanted it to. So...I plan to hang a taut ridge line, and secure the tarp to it via prussiks and carabiners, making adjustment and installation much simpler. I have probably a mile of rope and assorted cordage for work, but I don't like using my high-dollar stuff for non-life-support stuff. So, I'm looking for econo-cordage for prussiks. What are y'all using? I'm thinking 5mm would be plenty strong. All my prussic cordage is 3/8" for climbing....way too bulky for making 12 prussiks for a hammock tarp.

Secondly is a caddy for overhead storage. Wallet, headlamp, keys, pistol, etc. A friend mentioned he'd seen some folks were making "mini-hammocks" to suspend from the ridge line for a caddy. That might be doable. Anyone here do that?
    I use a ridgeline mesh pouch that I made.
    But there are lil' ridge hammocks/slings.....https://www.dreamhammock.com/shop.ht...tegory=4019214

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    All my prussic cordage is 3/8" for climbing....way too bulky for making 12 prussiks for a hammock tarp.
    12 prusiks? What are you going to do with 12 prusiks? I have two soft shackle prusiks to attach my tarp to my ridgeline. I larkshead the guylines onto the tarp D-rings, then use a marlin spike hitch on the stakes. Prusiks would be just too slow and unwieldy on the guylines.

Also, you mention using grommets - probably a bad idea. They'll rip with the slightest breeze.

I use 1.75 mm Zing-It for my ridgeline and guylines. However, it's that's too expensive for your tastes, braided mason line will work just as well. 5 mm and 3/8" cordage is pretty heavy cordage for a tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    +1 on the DH Gear Sling.

Heck of a 5 dollar upgrade from the smaller mesh RL organizer.
    Signature suspended

Something I've just begun experimenting with on my last trip is an old fanny pack. It weighs nearly 8 ounces but serves a couple of purposes. I added two grosgrain loops and small carabiners, so it rides across my chest hooked across my shoulder straps and hanging right over my pack's sternum strap. This gives me some easily accessed space during the hike for camera, notepad, snacks or whatever, leaving my hip belt pockets free for compass, phone, GPSr, and other small stuff.

I can easily remove the fanny pack and wear it normally if I want to leave my pack somewhere at camp and recon for a bit. The grosgrain loops and carabiners also allow me to turn it into a hammock ridgeline organizer of sorts. So far I've only used it on one trip but found it very handy. I just wish it were lighter than it is. I could remove the hip belt from it, but then I couldn't wear it as a fanny pack to walk away from camp, though it would still function as a front pack during the day and ridgeline organizer at night.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    12 prusiks? What are you going to do with 12 prusiks? I have two soft shackle prusiks to attach my tarp to my ridgeline. I larkshead the guylines onto the tarp D-rings, then use a marlin spike hitch on the stakes. Prusiks would be just too slow and unwieldy on the guylines.

Also, you mention using grommets - probably a bad idea. They'll rip with the slightest breeze.

I use 1.75 mm Zing-It for my ridgeline and guylines. However, it's that's too expensive for your tastes, braided mason line will work just as well. 5 mm and 3/8" cordage is pretty heavy cordage for a tarp.
    Meant 12" prussiks....

Just want the prussiks to attach the tarp to the ridge, opposing diagonal corners (diamond-style), simple guys with tautline hitches to attach the other two corners to stakes.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Search this DIY forum for "gear hammock" "gear sling" "ridgeline organizer" .....

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    I use 1/16" spectra, orange...the old "Speer no tangle", for my Prusiks. It is grippy enough that it works even on ridgeline cordage that is nearly the same diameter. Also, nothing slow about using a Prusik on your guylines. I have them rigged on all my guylines and it is do fast, I can't imagine a better system. My guylines are larks headed to my tarp guy outs, and I simply drop the Prusik look over the stake, and pull the line to tension it. I also use about a 12" length of shock cord clove hitched between a section of guy line with a little slop in it, near the tarp. Simply tension the line until the shock cord is stretched out (and hence, the guy line is pulled taut), and done. I also use Prusiks on the tarp ridge lines...so easy to hang the tarp. Larks head the guy line to the tarp ridge ring, tie a Prusik loop on the guy line and attach a mini biner to the Prusik loop. Then, just slide the Prusik out far enough to wrap around the tree, clip the mini biner to the tarp ring, and pull the line through the Prusik not to tension.

Quote Originally Posted by 100 Ton View Post
    I use 1/16" spectra, orange...the old "Speer no tangle", for my Prusiks. It is grippy enough that it works even on ridgeline cordage that is nearly the same diameter. Also, nothing slow about using a Prusik on your guylines. I have them rigged on all my guylines and it is do fast, I can't imagine a better system. My guylines are larks headed to my tarp guy outs, and I simply drop the Prusik look over the stake, and pull the line to tension it. I also use about a 12" length of shock cord clove hitched between a section of guy line with a little slop in it, near the tarp. Simply tension the line until the shock cord is stretched out (and hence, the guy line is pulled taut), and done. I also use Prusiks on the tarp ridge lines...so easy to hang the tarp. Larks head the guy line to the tarp ridge ring, tie a Prusik loop on the guy line and attach a mini biner to the Prusik loop. Then, just slide the Prusik out far enough to wrap around the tree, clip the mini biner to the tarp ring, and pull the line through the Prusik not to tension.
    Could you post a pic or three of this setup? I'm having difficulty picturing it in my head.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast