Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Just for information...
    I called the first port-a-jon that came up on Google. They sell them for $495.00 but that company only rents in lower MI.
    I called that company just because they were the first one that popped up, & besides, they have "The only Folding Portable Toilet"

About freezing, he talked about a basic brine solution w/ something else added (sodium chloride?). He said at some point it would freeze but it wouldn't hurt the unit. He said it couldn't be serviced while it was froze but for our weekend use, it could just be serviced after they got it back & let it thaw

If the rangers were to let us use the campground, we would probably do well using who ever they use locally to bring in toilets that they have for special events.
    Or, Jeff suggested someone buy one of the "Camping Toilets" that uses bags & just depose of them later. Where to depose of them??? I don't know about that.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Grand Trunk & ENO doubles
    Suspension
    JRB straptriglide
    Images

Fyi

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post

Or, Jeff suggested someone buy one of the "Camping Toilets" that uses bags & just depose of them later. Where to depose of them??? I don't know about that.

I believe they use a powder that gels everything and then you can just toss them in the trash..not 100% sure though..here is a link to one for info..
    http://www.rei.com/product/662980?pr...:referralID=NA

Just noticed these after posting...
    http://www.rei.com/product/662978

could use these and a 5 Gal bucket????

Hope this is useful for ya'll
    Last edited by Gracadruid; 12-21-2010 at 13:09. Reason: Just found these
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
    George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracadruid View Post
    could use these and a 5 Gal bucket????
    I was thinking about a plastic, 55 gal drum for this group
    But we'd have to build steps

OK, just kidding But I think one of the small, simple chemical & bag systems might work just fine & might cost less that renting a port-a-toilet.
    It would be easy enough to provide privacy.
    I'm not familiar w/ them so I don't know if the bag would need to be changed after every use or if you can wait until it's half full to be more cost effective
    But putting a small frame w/ a toilet seat over a five gallon bucket & providing our own bags & chemicals might be cheaper.

Just thinking out loud & feeling a little... exposed Somebody help me out here

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Maybe we should see whether we need to rent one first? Depending on where we end up...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Maybe we should see whether we need to rent one first? Depending on where we end up...
    True. Just doing the research in advance
    There are plenty of options out there & some not very expensive. Some look more sturdy than the ol 5 gallon bucket. I've seen those plastic buckets crack, especially in cold weather.
    Here's one... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-P...older/10098758

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DOUBLE
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    IN SEARCH OF!
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    Hmmmm Does frozen waste stink? That is the question in my mind!
    I say we box it up and mail it to the .... better not finish that statement.
    I am I guess the closet person from the Hang, so if there is anything I can do let me know. Travis Haynes a friend of mine use to own the portajohn company in Galax. I can call and see if he still does or if he has a suggestion.
    T
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    OK, I herd back from Ranger Holland & all looks great if the majority of the group wants to use the campsite at GHSP.

Please look it over & lets hear your feed back. It would be good to make a commitment quickly so everyone can get on w/ their plans. After all, what are we waiting on... Christmas?

Personally, I think this might be the best deal we are going to find & the rangers at GHSP are going out of their way to help us. There will be a little more cash required than when we just paid the overnight parking fee & hiked in, but not a great amount more.
    Ranger Holland's email in bold.

Tim,

I heard back from the manager. He said that you will be able to use the group campsite and we will just charge you the same way that we normally charge for the primitive camping in the stable area instead of the regular group campsite fees. The primitive camping fees are $15.75 per night per site. A site holds 6 people, so we can just base the fees on 6 person increments. The manager and I discussed the possibility of opening up the stable area campground for you use, but decided against it as the road conditions to the stables are generally more hazardous in winter weather.

Normally, groups are confined to a smaller space due to other campers in the numbered sites, however, you will be able to spread out quite a bit. There is potable water available at the park office during regular business hours - generally 8-4:30 unless the ranger on duty is out on patrol or at lunch.

There are picnic tables at the group campsite and we will try to get them cleaned off before the event. Our forecast is calling for more snow over the weekend and into next week, so we will probably hit the tables closer to the middle of January. The amphitheater is available for your group to use for gathering out of the weather. We just ask that any cooking be done outside the covered area. I'll see if we can get some trash cans brought up for you to use. I believe the dumpster has been picked up for the season, but if not, please don't use it. It won't be emptied again until May and trash in it might attract wildlife in an area we would like to keep primarily for the humans.

The port-a-potty can easily be placed at the parking area for the store. I'll contact the office manager tomorrow and ask her to send me the contact information for the company that normally provides service for events held at the park. As for firewood, anything that is down is fair game, although with the snow that we have had so far, don't expect it to be dry. We do have firewood for sale if needed - it is $4 per bundle (normally 9-12 sticks of seasoned locust) and you are welcome to bring your own in as well.

The best site for a weather forecast for the park is Intellicast, using Whitetop, VA as the location. The elevations are similar and you can get a good idea of what to expect.

I believe that is as much thinking as I can do on a day off. If I missed something, I'll email you when it pops in my head. I am very happy that we were able to come to a positive outcome for everyone and I appreciate your efforts! By the way, my husband said you were very nice and he enjoyed talking with you. We will definitely plan on coming up to visit while you are here. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Marceia

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DOUBLE
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    IN SEARCH OF!
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    Thats awesome! I think it's the best plan!
    T
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Guys you are making this toilet thing too hard... Rent a porta John... Be protected from the wind and rain and snow while using it... Put it on a pick up, use it, return it... $50-75...no issue ...The JRB raffle will cover it and the one who uses their truck will get cash repayment at the raffle.

Real issue is... First... Does the head ranger support us in the group camp with the preveously assumed water and toilet caviats?

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I'm content. As much as I avoid the established campsites, I have had MANY good times at them.

Once again, the MT Rogers people have treated us like royalty, I am seriously impressed. Game on IMHO!!

I really want to meet these people!!!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast