WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Mid-Winter hang in Central WA, USA

Anyone interested in a hang in Central WA state? I'm thinking January 8-9, 2010.

I know of an accessible, easy hike, and fun wilderness very near Ellensburg, with good parking and a great stand of Aspens. It's called the
    Umtanum Creek Recreation Area. It would be a great first winer outing, and a great opportunity for meeting some hangers in the area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...61798&t=h&z=15

Anyone interested?
    Last edited by Buenos; 10-30-2010 at 09:01. Reason: Not alders, but Aspens
    Jose Diaz

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Buenos View Post
    Anyone interested in a hang in Central WA state? I'm thinking January 8-9, 2010.

I know of an accessible, easy hike, and fun wilderness very near Ellensburg, with good parking and a great stand of Alders. It's called the
    Umtanum Creek Recreation Area. It would be a great first winer outing, and a great opportunity for meeting some hangers in the area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...61798&t=h&z=15

Anyone interested?
    Don't you mean Jan 8-9-2011? considering you posted today at 3:06 today (29 Oct 2010). I would be game. It is far enough ahead that I could work it into my schedule. E-burg is only 3 hours form me, and I have some suby friends there as well that I would like to visit.
    Thanks for the invite.
    Mugs
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Yes, January 8-9,2011.

I am having trouble giving up the year 2010.

Thanks for taking part.
    Jose Diaz

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Stopped in Ellensburg for lunch last weekend on our way home from Seattle. Had a great burger and brew at The Tav. I'm not geared up for winter hanging yet. I'd sure be up for a warmer weather group hang though maybe in the Goat Rocks or Alpine Lakes Wilderness.
    Dan

I might be interested. All schedule dependent for me. I love that area. Love the Potholes area as well for winter backpacking, but not many spots to hang. We did manage to hang between a couple rocks at one point, but it's not something I'd want to do overnight.

Are you talking more about car camping or packing in a ways into the canyon?

-Curt

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I might be interested. All schedule dependent for me. I love that area. Love the Potholes area as well for winter backpacking, but not many spots to hang. We did manage to hang between a couple rocks at one point, but it's not something I'd want to do overnight.

Are you talking more about car camping or packing in a ways into the canyon?

-Curt
    There is a grove of Aspens about a mile into the canyon. Easy, flat, and plenty of room. I've taken many beginner hikers and children on this hike.

Nice thing about this set-up is that town is nearby, and anyone who wants to bail can stay at my home, in Ellensburg, where it's warm and dry.
    Last edited by Buenos; 10-30-2010 at 09:02.
    Jose Diaz

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dand76 View Post
    Stopped in Ellensburg for lunch last weekend on our way home from Seattle. Had a great burger and brew at The Tav. I'm not geared up for winter hanging yet. I'd sure be up for a warmer weather group hang though maybe in the Goat Rocks or Alpine Lakes Wilderness.
    Dan
    I'll definitely be in for a summer hang in the Alpine Lakes wilderness. But winter's here and I like winter camping too.

My wife's a new hanger, and never, until now, has expressed interest in winter camping. I figure the more the merrier, make it a social event. Besides, it's a chance to learn from other winter campers.
    Jose Diaz

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Buenos View Post
    Nice thing about this set-up is that town is nearby, and anyone who wants to bail can stay at my home, in Ellensburg, where it's warm and dry.
    Is this a car/suv friendly road or is it a trail...That will dictate what I bring. Is it the road that looks like branches off across the bridge to the left?
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Banned
    Images
    Hey Guys.

I might be interested in this. Awfully close to Christmas. Could be good or bad.

My mother lives in Aberdeen, which looks to be about 3.5 hours away, so I could turn it into a Christmas & hang trip.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    Is this a car/suv friendly road or is it a trail...That will dictate what I bring. Is it the road that looks like branches off across the bridge to the left?
    The bridge your looking at is a foot suspension bridge, one of the coolest I've ever seen. There is a huge gravel parking lot just before the bridge. right after the bridge is a railroad track, then the trail. Then down a flat, well travelled desert canyon (there is even some tiny cacti). All a pretty easy walk.
    Jose Diaz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast