Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to Hammock Camping

I just purchased a HH and slept in it last night. I love the comfort that it provides. I had trouble getting into my bag and got a little chill about 4 am. My girlfriend wants a hammock also.......I am thinking of giving her my HH and purchasing a Clark Ultra-light. What are a few opinions of the 2?....If I said I would buy you one.....what would you get?

A Speer hammock

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    truthfully between the two I'd go for the hennesy if it were free... but in reality where you aren't going to give me one, I'd much rather spend the hour sewing my own... What is your time worth to you? I don't know if the hennesy hammock knock off plans are still posted on the DIY stuff, but I combined that and hammock engineers parallelogram idea (listed as trapezoid) and I like that much more than my buddy's asym... jmo
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

I (being the DIY) would want to make my own, but it would be most similar to a Speer style, so thats what I say. The Clark's are nice, especially the NA where it comes with the weather shield and everything. but sadly, everything is built in, so it cannot get much lighter without ruining it.

Thanks

She has decided on a ENO, but I am interested in building my own. I could not pass up a HH on Ebay for $70. Saved $50 bucks. Thanks for your help. I will look into the DIY for my next one.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i personally like the top entry (speer) type too.
    one question though. in you're post you didn't mention a pad or under quilt. did you have anything other than your sleeping bag under you?

for you & your girlfriend to really enjoy sleeping in cool weather, you'll need some kind of bottom insulation.

and welcome to HF. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

an ENO? so does that mean you will "accidentally" order the ENO double nest?

eh, eh? sorry, couldn't resist.

Tim, why does it seem like everyone loves the top entry? I have never used a bottom slit, but with the top loader, you have to hang it low enough to be able to get in, which after streching, is rather low.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pyr8fan View Post
    She has decided on a ENO, but I am interested in building my own. I could not pass up a HH on Ebay for $70. Saved $50 bucks. Thanks for your help. I will look into the DIY for my next one.
    I would suggest getting a Treklight instead. They are on sale for Monday only.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2375
    This hammock is virtually identical to the Eno. I would recommend getting the double. I have one and it is real nice.
    www.treklightonline.com
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

FF, I am short of money (can find the money to get a treklight tomorrow) or should I save up to buy better DIY materials such as epic, momentum90, spinntex, etc.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    Tim, why does it seem like everyone loves the top entry? I have never used a bottom slit, but with the top loader, you have to hang it low enough to be able to get in, which after streching, is rather low.
    with the top entry hammock, you can sit side ways in it like a chair to take off your shoes or change pants.
    you can also reach other clothes or gear while laying in the hammock or even reach out & heat a pot of water for coffee or what ever.

and there's no restriction of your view. i love to lay in the hammock & look around.

after you figure out the amount of sag that suits you, you can hang your hammock so that it's about chair height when you sit in it.
    that's also a pretty decent height for reaching stuff on the ground when you're laying down.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast