TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB

Lusting for a WBBB

So.... I had knee replacement surgery recently, and since I'm laid up it's given me way too much time to read the HF and lust after new stuff. I currently use a Trek Light Double hammock (very similar to ENO double), and have a KAQ Lost River UQ, and a MaCat Deluxe tarp. I just received some new suspension straps and the Triangle Thingies from Paul at AHE. But now I'm lusting after a WBBB hammock. I'm a river rafter, not a backpacker, so weight isn't an issue, but packability & function are important. The things I like about the WBBB are the bug net and the footbox. On most of my river trips in Utah & Idaho, mosquitos aren't a problem, but there are some early summer trips were they are really awful. Also, I like to read in my hammock at night before bed and the bugs can be annoying. Having an attached net would be nice. The footbox looks like it would make for a comfortable lie in the hammock.
    My biggest drawback to buying a new hammock is that I sometimes don't have trees available in some river camps and I have to resort to my roll-a-cot & thermarest combo. I'd really like to ditch my tent, so I 'm hoping that when I have to ground dwell, I can rig my tarp up as an A-frame over me if needed. However, this doesn't give me any bug protection. I could buy a bug net to use with my current hammock set-up, but that WBBB sure looks sweet.
    Decisions...... Decisions ??????
    KJ

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I have the Blackbird and it's a great hammock! My favorite feature is the wing pocket for all my stuff.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Have you looked at the JRB bridge? It looks like it is built for both of the situations you are frequently in. It also has the built in bug netting. Just a thought. I want to give one a test drive very soon.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    It's my favorite too. Way good. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    All I can say is: "The Bird is the Word!!!!!!"..........cheesy but it is so true! I have a BB, bought from another member, and I am finding that I like it more and more everytime I am out in it. It has taken me experimenting with it to get just the right spot, but when I did it was all over and out like a light I was. If you can get one I suggest it highly, I want sell my Clark Jungle Hammock but I will sing the praise of the WBBB.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I'd really like to ditch my tent, so I 'm hoping that when I have to ground dwell, I can rig my tarp up as an A-frame over me if needed. However, this doesn't give me any bug protection. I could buy a bug net to use with my current hammock set-up, but that WBBB sure looks sweet.
    Most of the mosquito hammocks - the WBBB included - can be pitched on the ground as a bivy. You need a groundcloth to protect the fabric and the tarp will need to go over it of course but I've seen a bunch of pics of folks who have set up their hammock as a makeshift bivy. In fact, here's a blurb from the Warbonnet website's Blackbird page:

It can be used as a chair, as well as can be set up on the ground and used as a bug bivy. (note) The fabric is not waterproof/coated because you wouldn’t want a mosquito hammock with a waterproof/coated body. (think buggy, hot, humid) You want as much breathability as possible in these conditions especially. So you’ll want a groundcloth for 2 important reasons if you use the hammock on the ground: one, because the hammock fabric isn’t coated, but it’s also important to protect the hammock fabric from abrasion. Remember, this fabric is holding your bodyweight, so you’ll want to avoid any damage to the fabric. A piece of tyvek makes a good groundcloth.

I could buy a bug net to use with my current hammock set-up
    make a bug-sock

or buy a military pup-tent bugnet.....like me.....and rjcress

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23915
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=24127

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    So.... I had knee replacement surgery recently, and since I'm laid up it's given me way too much time to read the HF and lust after new stuff.
    Your singing my song here...second knee replacement (in two years) this June and both gave me blood clots in the lungs. So too much time on my hands and planning ways to get outside that will work with knees that don't. Ended up with the WBBB and a Kelty 12 but the HF sickness has set in. Let's see..the UQ must be decided on and purchased then Brandon puts an improved TQ on sale and Mac announces he is designing a hammock sock that will operate sans a tarp in wet. Let's see, might still need a smaller high speed low drag tarp from AHE since Paul just launched tham. Before all that a Byer hammock stand is "needed" because the trees in our yard will not work. But since I am really bored maybe I could make my own experimental hammock...never ending.

My advice? Go ahead and buy it while you can write it off as physical/mental therapy.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Law Dawg - Physical & Mental therapy..... hmmmmm. I like your thinking. I have a river buddy who lives vicariously through my river gear purchases. He keeps finding things that I need to buy so that WE can use them on our river trips.
    I suppose the cheaper alternative would be to buy or make a bug net. I saw a video where a guy set up his tarp on the ground A-frame style with a single ridgeline, and slid an ENO bug net over the ridgeline (under the tarp), then just put his sleeping gear inside the net. I could probably make that work with my cot. I can't sleep directly on the ground anymore (hence the cot & the hammock).
    But........ the WBBB is so cool.
    Probably a 1.1 or 1.7 single, since I already have an UQ. Or would a double layer be better??????
    Guess I should rehab this knee first so I know if I'll be able to get in & out of a hammock again by next spring??????
    KJ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Probably a 1.1 or 1.7 single, since I already have an UQ. Or would a double layer be better??????
    Relevant to mosquito protection in a single vs. double layer, you can check out the thread I posted Mosquito protection with 1.1 Single?

Good luck with rehab and get well soon!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast