So, if my wife had any questions about the extent of my OCD, she no longer has them. I went to Hancock Fabric Saturday with the goal of getting a yard or two of fabric to make the ... not sure what it is called... the horizontal "stripe" that joins the hammock body to the mosquito net on the WBBB so I could finish up hammock #4, the nylon/polyester blend WBBB clone that failed and was discussed in another thread.
While at the store I noticed that they were having a HUGE fleece sale and bought 13 yards of fleece @ $1.95/yard. Also found some relatively light desert camo polyester that felt pretty sturdy for $2.76/yard and bought 5 yards.
The camo became a new WBBB clone, with a couple of experiments/variations:
-Zipper on bug net will be above the stripe, not below. I think that this puts more stress on the side, when exiting and entering, but gets the zipper away from my shoulder.
-The stripe for each side terminate by crossing at a 90 degree angle at the ends, prior to the whip. The result is a short joined section on the hammock side of the whipping (as opposed to the tree side), somewhat like a Hennessy. I left one side of the intersection of the two stripes open at each end to make a pocket inside the hammock. Hard to explain, but visible in the pictures. I'm calling these "Jeff's Peak Pockets". Why? Because I can! You can call it something else if you like. I also call myself the King of Jefflandia, and my wife is the Queen. My kids are the Prince and Princesses of Jefflandia. But I digress...
-No fixed mosquito net yet. I'm using an adjustable ridge line and haven't settled on the final ridge line length yet. Don't have a zipper yet either. Also a bit anxious about how to determine the right dimensions for the mosquito net. I'm using an army cot mosquito net for now, draped over the whole hammock and hanging from the tarp ridge line. Works pretty well, so no rush on the mosquito net. I'll just keep my netting material it on the shelf until all other details are sorted out.
-Used all 5 yards of material. Have just 4 little pieces left, totaling less than 1 sq ft. Talk about cutting it close! Wish I'd bought more for a TC.
Initial thoughts from a couple of quick test micro-naps:
-Dang! this thing is comfortable! Loving the footbox to keep my feet from slipping out of the hammock overnight.
-Loving the extra width that the stripe provides. At 6'4", if I lay at much of a diagonal, I need the extra width to keep my shoulders and feet from slipping out of the hammock.
-Really diggin' the peak pockets for glasses, flashlight, etc. However, I need to reinforce the point that the two stripes overlap, as it looks like it is taking a lot of strain. May also add some elastic to the open edge of each pocket to help keep little stuff from falling out. The crossed stripes also change the way the pull-outs closest to the head whipping are pulled out. Instead of the traditional WBBB shelf, it keeps them from pulling out as far. Again, hard to explain. Might move the tie outs down the body a bit. Not sure yet.
-Can't wait to get all the other details sorted out and put the mosquito net on so I can use the side shelves. They don't really work as shelves without the netting.
I used 3 yards of fleece to make a light TQ that is wrapped around as a bag up to just below my waist. The upper torso section is open so I can wrap it around any way I want and can get in/out easy. Long enough that I can pull over my head to retain more heat, but thin enough that it breathes well. Really happy with that 20 min. project so far. Will see how it sleeps. I have a bit over 3 more yards of digital camo fleece that I may try a light UQ with. Haven't decided yet.
Pictures (R-L, top-bottom):
1) Whole setup in the back yard w/my DIY HH Hex tarp clone.
2) My hand holding open the footbox for the picture. Tempted to call it a hand box, in this instance.
3) Some homeless guy I found in the hammock this afternoon curled up in my new fleece TQ/bag thingy. (not really. Thats me. I only shave on Tuesdays... this aint Tuesday)
4) My lower body in the fleece bag, in the new hammock. Can I get a Whooooo Buddy? (sorry, do I need to put that in quotes and cite Shug when I say that?)
5) Hopefully this sheds light on how I crossed the "stripes" at the ends. Notice that the stitching forms a square where the two ends overlap at right angles... except one side is not stitched. I left that side open to be accessible from inside... "Jeff's Peak Pocket".
6) Me again. You can see how crossing the stripes at the peak causes pull/strain at the joint. Time will tell if this was a good experiment. Not sure yet. You can also see how the side shelf can't pull out like a WBBB normally would because of the stripes being pulled back to the centerline.
7) side view from the outside.
8) Looking up at Jeff's Peak Pocket with my glasses hanging out. Plenty of room for them to be in the pocket... hanging out for illustration. Yep, you caught me. I'm sufficiently vein that I removed my glasses for each photo.
9) Another look at the side pullout and the crossed stripes at the peak. It actually looks a touch tighter when the hammock is unoccupied.
10) Another shot looking in at the new fleece TQ/bag
11pm on Sunday and I'm gathering my stuff to go sleep in the new hammock in the back yard. Wish me luck. Still not sure why my wife thinks I'm "a bit odd".
Should only get down to the low 40s tonight.
I'll sleep on my z-lite pad with the new fleece and an old sleeping bag.