DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Jeff's latest... #5. Desert Camo WBBB clone.

So, if my wife had any questions about the extent of my OCD, she no longer has them. I went to Hancock Fabric Saturday with the goal of getting a yard or two of fabric to make the ... not sure what it is called... the horizontal "stripe" that joins the hammock body to the mosquito net on the WBBB so I could finish up hammock #4, the nylon/polyester blend WBBB clone that failed and was discussed in another thread.

While at the store I noticed that they were having a HUGE fleece sale and bought 13 yards of fleece @ $1.95/yard. Also found some relatively light desert camo polyester that felt pretty sturdy for $2.76/yard and bought 5 yards.

The camo became a new WBBB clone, with a couple of experiments/variations:
    -Zipper on bug net will be above the stripe, not below. I think that this puts more stress on the side, when exiting and entering, but gets the zipper away from my shoulder.
    -The stripe for each side terminate by crossing at a 90 degree angle at the ends, prior to the whip. The result is a short joined section on the hammock side of the whipping (as opposed to the tree side), somewhat like a Hennessy. I left one side of the intersection of the two stripes open at each end to make a pocket inside the hammock. Hard to explain, but visible in the pictures. I'm calling these "Jeff's Peak Pockets". Why? Because I can! You can call it something else if you like. I also call myself the King of Jefflandia, and my wife is the Queen. My kids are the Prince and Princesses of Jefflandia. But I digress...
    -No fixed mosquito net yet. I'm using an adjustable ridge line and haven't settled on the final ridge line length yet. Don't have a zipper yet either. Also a bit anxious about how to determine the right dimensions for the mosquito net. I'm using an army cot mosquito net for now, draped over the whole hammock and hanging from the tarp ridge line. Works pretty well, so no rush on the mosquito net. I'll just keep my netting material it on the shelf until all other details are sorted out.
    -Used all 5 yards of material. Have just 4 little pieces left, totaling less than 1 sq ft. Talk about cutting it close! Wish I'd bought more for a TC.

Initial thoughts from a couple of quick test micro-naps:
    -Dang! this thing is comfortable! Loving the footbox to keep my feet from slipping out of the hammock overnight.
    -Loving the extra width that the stripe provides. At 6'4", if I lay at much of a diagonal, I need the extra width to keep my shoulders and feet from slipping out of the hammock.
    -Really diggin' the peak pockets for glasses, flashlight, etc. However, I need to reinforce the point that the two stripes overlap, as it looks like it is taking a lot of strain. May also add some elastic to the open edge of each pocket to help keep little stuff from falling out. The crossed stripes also change the way the pull-outs closest to the head whipping are pulled out. Instead of the traditional WBBB shelf, it keeps them from pulling out as far. Again, hard to explain. Might move the tie outs down the body a bit. Not sure yet.
    -Can't wait to get all the other details sorted out and put the mosquito net on so I can use the side shelves. They don't really work as shelves without the netting.

I used 3 yards of fleece to make a light TQ that is wrapped around as a bag up to just below my waist. The upper torso section is open so I can wrap it around any way I want and can get in/out easy. Long enough that I can pull over my head to retain more heat, but thin enough that it breathes well. Really happy with that 20 min. project so far. Will see how it sleeps. I have a bit over 3 more yards of digital camo fleece that I may try a light UQ with. Haven't decided yet.

Pictures (R-L, top-bottom):
    1) Whole setup in the back yard w/my DIY HH Hex tarp clone.
    2) My hand holding open the footbox for the picture. Tempted to call it a hand box, in this instance.
    3) Some homeless guy I found in the hammock this afternoon curled up in my new fleece TQ/bag thingy. (not really. Thats me. I only shave on Tuesdays... this aint Tuesday)
    4) My lower body in the fleece bag, in the new hammock. Can I get a Whooooo Buddy? (sorry, do I need to put that in quotes and cite Shug when I say that?)
    5) Hopefully this sheds light on how I crossed the "stripes" at the ends. Notice that the stitching forms a square where the two ends overlap at right angles... except one side is not stitched. I left that side open to be accessible from inside... "Jeff's Peak Pocket".
    6) Me again. You can see how crossing the stripes at the peak causes pull/strain at the joint. Time will tell if this was a good experiment. Not sure yet. You can also see how the side shelf can't pull out like a WBBB normally would because of the stripes being pulled back to the centerline.
    7) side view from the outside.
    8) Looking up at Jeff's Peak Pocket with my glasses hanging out. Plenty of room for them to be in the pocket... hanging out for illustration. Yep, you caught me. I'm sufficiently vein that I removed my glasses for each photo.
    9) Another look at the side pullout and the crossed stripes at the peak. It actually looks a touch tighter when the hammock is unoccupied.
    10) Another shot looking in at the new fleece TQ/bag

11pm on Sunday and I'm gathering my stuff to go sleep in the new hammock in the back yard. Wish me luck. Still not sure why my wife thinks I'm "a bit odd".
    Should only get down to the low 40s tonight.
    I'll sleep on my z-lite pad with the new fleece and an old sleeping bag.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rjcress; 10-31-2010 at 22:12.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Very nice; love the pictures. What a project! Nice tarp too.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Great night in the new hammock.

Since I'm new at this, still amazed at how quickly any body part that slips off of the foam pad and touches the hammock body gets cold. Definitely looking at inexpensive DIY UQ options. Likely to start with a blue CCF pad in the hammock as I think they are wider than my z-lite pad.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Nice job on the construction! Looks pretty comfy.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Made a few modifications earlier this week, and will be making some more soon.

Already done:
    -reinforced the point that the "stripes" meet with a strip of webbing.
    -added a bigger shelf
    -reinforced the footbox to side section

The big problem that I have at the moment is that crossing the "stripes" at the head just isn't working. The side pullouts cause the crossed stripes to pull down towards the body under great strain, and make the shelf pullout roll on one edge.

So, Looks like I'll be ripping the seams and modifying the head end so that the stripes don't cross and pull against each other.
    I'll write this off as a failed experiment. The "peak pocket" that I was so pleased with at the head end will be no more. Oh well.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Hehehe
    Just been looking at WBBB pics on Flickr, and it appears that I totally botched the footbox side on my attempted clone.
    Thats what I get for trying to clone something that I've never actually seen first hand.

Looks from the pictures that what I'm calling the "stripes" is actually just one stripe on the zipper side. It appears that the footbox side is lacking this additional ~10" tall strip of extra cloth. This likely explains some of my difficulties.
    Also looks like the head end of the shelf and zipper side stripe extend up into the whipped area. I was ending both on mine prior to the whip.
    At least I think I'm getting a better understanding of what I'm doing, after trying a few things that didn't work out as I'd hoped.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Great night in the new hammock.

Since I'm new at this, still amazed at how quickly any body part that slips off of the foam pad and touches the hammock body gets cold. Definitely looking at inexpensive DIY UQ options. Likely to start with a blue CCF pad in the hammock as I think they are wider than my z-lite pad.
    Depending on your temp range, a $20 surplus poncho liner, shock cord and a couple of cordlocks make a decent UQ. I went down to 45 degrees with one recently, and it was very comfortable.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11777

Or you can sew it into a permanent UQ...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=18539

Given your skills, though, you could EASILY make a rectangular synthetic quilt or bite the bullet and go with down...

If you're planning to go with the pad, make a Segmented Pad Extender, but I like my UQ... I did spend one night on a Truck-sized reflective windshield shade, but it wasn't great. If I wanted to use that solution, I'd probably spray-glue a piece of fleece to it so it wouldn't get so damp...

I LOVE that desert camo!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    So, Looks like I'll be ripping the seams and modifying the head end so that the stripes don't cross and pull against each other.
    Ripped those seams yesterday and extended the sides into the whipping...like they should have been to begin with. Made a HUGE difference!
    The shelf pulls out nicely now.

I also figured out how to hang the hammock IN MY HOUSE for test fitting the Under UnQuilt, measuring for bug netting, etc. The indoor tie-points are too weak to support my body weight though.

I'll second what someone else said in a thread this weekend... MUCH respect to WarbonnetGuy. The WBBB is a LOT of very careful work. It would have been MUCH easier to buy one from him. Likely cheaper also.
    I'm doing it myself because I like to make my own stuff.
    If you aren't REALLY into making your own stuff, do yourself a favor and order one from Warbonnet.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    ... surplus poncho liner, shock cord and a couple of cordlocks make a decent UQ. I went down to 45 degrees with one recently, and it was very comfortable.
    Thanks. I've read those threads and may make one of these soon.

Given your skills, though, you could EASILY make a rectangular synthetic quilt or bite the bullet and go with down...
    The beautiful thing about posting pics online is that the little details aren't visible. My skills are getting better, but still highly suspect.
    I plan on using my gear while kayak and canoe camping, so down is out for me. I'm wrapping up a fleece UQ with a nylon shell now. Plan to try an insul-bright insert in that to see what temp range will work.

If you're planning to go with the pad, make a Segmented Pad Extender
    Excellent idea! Just added an SPE to the list. (dang that list is getting long)

I LOVE that desert camo!
    Yeah, Since I left the USAF over a decade ago, and don't hunt, I really have steered away from camo. Something about that desert pattern was calling to me though. Don't know what it was, I am diggin' the look.
    Kind of funny though, that i'll be stealthily snoozing in my camo hammock under a Lemon Yellow tarp.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    In case anyone was thinking of trying to build one the way I did, read this post first:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...008#post353008

I describe a bunch of things that I tried in an attempt to wing a copy of the WBBB, when I've yet to actually see a WBBB in person.
    Lets just say I did a few things that didn't end up working, but I've got it mostly sorted out now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast