Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

How to survive 32° with a 50° UQ

This weekend I will be out in my hammock. I have been following the extended forecast with the expectation of temps around 45°. This morning the forecast changed drastically, and temps will be right around 32°. I have a diy UQ made out of a cheap sleeping bag, and I expect I will be good to around 50°. For the extra 5°, I was not concerned, making up that should easily be done with a space blanket, but to extend that nearly 20° is something else entirely.

I am looking for any ideas of how to make my life comfortable down here. I have already ordered a 3 Season Incubator from Stormcrow, but as I did that on Friday, I have no expectation for it to be here by Friday. I have been looking for thin foam packing material to make a layer, but have had no luck.
    I do have a 25° down bag I am using as a TQ, so I am find on the top. I just need something more for the bottom. And this is car camping, so weight is not so much of an issue for me.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Custom Doublenest
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Black Mamba + DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    use a sleeping pad plus your UQ, should get you there.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    even something like a pool float/mattress (partially inflated) would add loft while it is inside the UQ..just a thought! (though I freely admit the thermarest does a great job of distributing the air, while the pool float may compress too much at the pressure points...since there is no foam inside)KM

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Simple blue wallypad will get you down to freezing by itself so if you have an UQ to boot you will be fine.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Trying to avoid the pad

Respectfully, I am trying to commit myself to doing this without a foam pad, as it takes away from the comfort of the hammock. To provide some other ideas, I typically sleep in a minimal amount of clothing (wicking shorts and t-shirt) even in low temps. As such, I am not familiar with clothing options to tide me over in lower temps.

I also made some Reflectix coozies for my Nalgene, so I can try that as well. I do have one 7' long piece of Refectix, but it is only 18" wide, so even if I were to cut it up and insert darts, it would not be enough to line the inside of the UQ (but I could buy more).

Too bad I didn't order the Incubator a month ago. This would have been a great time to test it out!
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I'd try a space blanket and poly-pro long underwear keeping a down or fleece jacket in reserve. Also, for me, a fleece cap is a must.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would supplement with a pad ....... at least you will be warm.
    I never found pads that bad .... of course straight UQ is the best.
    Don't risk being cold .... no fun.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Respectfully, I am trying to commit myself to doing this without a foam pad, as it takes away from the comfort of the hammock. To provide some other ideas, I typically sleep in a minimal amount of clothing (wicking shorts and t-shirt) even in low temps. As such, I am not familiar with clothing options to tide me over in lower temps.

I also made some Reflectix coozies for my Nalgene, so I can try that as well. I do have one 7' long piece of Refectix, but it is only 18" wide, so even if I were to cut it up and insert darts, it would not be enough to line the inside of the UQ (but I could buy more).

Too bad I didn't order the Incubator a month ago. This would have been a great time to test it out!
    throwing out the pad idea...you could try to lay ontop of anything that wont compress. Fleece would be the first thing that comes to my mind...any synthetic material should provide a measure of insulation even after compression...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    While we were at the Mid TN Hang this weekend we experienced temps in the upper 20's on friday night. My GF and I supplimented our DIY UQ rated at around 35 degrees with a small section of Wally World Blue CCF pad that allowed us to escape the Cold Butt Syndrome. I do not like the pads either but a section of pad that goes from one hipbone to the other across your backside is a wonderful way to get to below freezing. It was not uncomfortable in anyway and I will be trying a section of Reflectix soon to see it will conform more to my shape and still keep me as warm........
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

If weight isn't a issue I would take along a down jacket or vest (assuming you have a spare) and place it between your UQ and hammock and adjust your UQ as not to compress it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast