Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images

Shamu IX UQ Tryout

It's been a few weeks since I've received my Shamu IX UQ and I finally had a chance to try it out this weekend. Night temps here in ABQ have finally dropped into the 40's and high 30's *F so I decided to test the Shamu plus one insert. Friday night the temps got down to 46*F, and with just the Shamu, I was comfortable. I wasn't "toasty" warm, but comfortable enough to sleep the night through. I'm an average to cool sleeper, so I reckoned 45*F or so is the limit I'd want to take the Shamu.

Saturday night the temps got down to 36*F and with the Shamu and an IX insert, I was comfortable and felt the same warmth as Friday night with just the Shamu. So, for me, I can go down to 45*F with the Shamu and down to 36*F with the Shamu + insert.

On both nights I slept with my WM MegaLite used as a TQ, and dressed in poly bottoms, mid-weight wool socks, and a light-weight fleece long-sleeved shirt. My goal is to get down to the teens, 15*F or so, so my next test will be a down UQ, alone and combined with the Shamu. I just have to save up for that one.... Here are a few pics:

Shamu with insert:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...bb-shamu-1.jpg

Shamu packed (10 oz.):
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...x_2_layers.jpg

Shamu + insert packed (12 oz.):
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...x_3_layers.jpg
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Good information. Thanks a bunch. I hope to hear more on these products as the seasonal weather approaches and they are used more often.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Images
    Thanks for the report. Please clear up something for me: How many layers of IX are in the basic Shamu? You have the nylon outer shelln then obviously at least one layer of IX. Then is there an additional layer of IX, plus an small area of IX called an "Insultube"? So, if it does, the Shamu has 2 full layers of IX plus the small butt/torso area IX?

So when you say "PLUS insert", are we talking total 3 layers of IX plus the small "insultube?

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes on all counts BillyBob58... The Shamu comes with two layers of IX plus a small piece of IX sandwiched in between the 2 layers in the back area, and a ripstop nylon outer cover. I also added a separate IX insert to bring the total to 3 layers of IX.

Further observations: the Shamu, and insert, comes with grosgrain loops sewn in each corner and shock cord as suspension. The Shamu fit very well along the sides of my WBBB, but the head and foot ends gapped down. To snug up the head and foot ends, I was faced with tightening the suspension so much that I lost a lot of the air gap underneath because it was snugged too tight. The alternative was to loosen the suspension so that the differential cut could work, but that would leave gaps at the ends. I think an improvement to the design would be to add channels, or at least a few loops, along the ends for shock cord to be threaded through and easily snugged up without having to overtighten the whole UQ. My sewing skills are modest, as in none, or I'd make that mod and try it out myself. I think I could have gone down to the mid-30s*F with just the Shamu if I could have gotten the suspension just right. Testing continues....
    Last edited by KefWalker; 11-02-2010 at 13:51.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    One of the mods I'm going to make on my IX UQ is to add shock cord and channels on the ends so I can get a better seal on the head/foot sections.

I like the sil cover -- is that now standard? Mine doesn't have it. What does that add to the qualities of the UQ?

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes--that's what I think the Shamu needs to help snug up the ends while allowing the bottom to hang without undue pressure. The sides seem to hug the hammock just fine. TTTGear sells a 2-layer IX UQ with a nylon cover (Shamu) and a 2-layer IX UQ without nylon cover. The nylon cover keeps the outside of the UQ clean of twigs, leaves and debris, although it's probably not a major issue without it I imagine. It also adds a bit of wind and rain resistance and maybe ups the insulation value a smidgen.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edbeteze View Post
    Yes on all counts BillyBob58... The Shamu comes with two layers of IX plus a small piece of IX sandwiched in between the 2 layers in the back area, and a ripstop nylon outer cover. I also added a separate IX insert to bring the total to 3 layers of IX.

Further observations: the Shamu, and insert, comes with grosgrain loops sewn in each corner and shock cord as suspension. The Shamu fit very well along the sides of my WBBB, but the head and foot ends gapped down. To snug up the head and foot ends, I was faced with tightening the suspension so much that I lost a lot of the air gap underneath because it was snugged too tight. The alternative was to loosen the suspension so that the differential cut could work, but that would leave gaps at the ends. I think an improvement to the design would be to add channels, or at least a few loops, along the ends for shock cord to be threaded through and easily snugged up without having to overtighten the whole UQ. My sewing skills are modest, as in none, or I'd make that mod and try it out myself. I think I could have gone down to the mid-30s*F with just the Shamu if I could have gotten the suspension just right. Testing continues....
    OK, Ed, thanks for the info. It sounds like your experience so far has been exactly the same as mine. When I first got mine last spring ( not a Shamu, but the very 1st model Mac made which was cut to exactly mimic a HHSS pad), even with 2 layers I was struggling to stay warm into the 50s( NO shell at all, just 2 layers of IX). Then Mac added Insultubes, I could tell an improvement, but I still wasn't going much below mid 50s. But with use, I guess I figured out how to better hang it so that I had it as loose as possible but not so loose as to have any gaps. So now I have successfully been just barely warm enough into the mid-40s once ( added a torso pad about 0400 when the wind really picked up just to get some luxury warmth). I think if I had adequate wind block from a big tarp I would have slept right through. At 39*F and no wind, again at about 0400 I was not really quite warm enough. Once again added the pad. So looks like about mid 40s for me, so far. But those last two times are a whole lot better than I did at first. The learning curve continues! ( Even though I have not been able to get to freezing, I really like these quilts when you consider weight)

(BTW, it is always my back that gives out first, my butt and legs are always fine- kind of reverse CBS)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-02-2010 at 15:31.

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes--a mirror image of my experience--back cool, butt and legs fine. I really think the key is the fit at the ends. The stock suspension of shockcord tied at the corners just doesn't do the IX UQ justice. There needs to be a better method of snugging up the ends.

Dejoha plans to add a channel mod to the ends so I'm very interested to see if that makes a difference. I think there's a trade-off between getting the suspension right and the amount of time it takes to get it right. I think channel mods to the ends will speed up hang time and improve the UQ's cold weather performance--at least that's my theory anyway...;-).

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thank you very much, Ed, for your valuable insites. This being a new revelation in insulation, all the feedback is we can get is particularly valuable.

I'm sitting on some IX and comments like yours has me planning on sewing about an 8" strip of nylon to the ends with channels in that for the shock cord. I think the nylon wil cinch up better than the IX and therefore create a beter seal.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Thank you very much, Ed, for your valuable insites. This being a new revelation in insulation, all the feedback is we can get is particularly valuable.

I'm sitting on some IX and comments like yours has me planning on sewing about an 8" strip of nylon to the ends with channels in that for the shock cord. I think the nylon wil cinch up better than the IX and therefore create a beter seal.
    I think if I had some raw IX and had a sewing machine and skill to run it, I would have take an INNER layer of nylon of a certain size, and sew to it an outer layer of IX which is a bit bigger. Then maybe sew another somewhat larger layer of IX to that, and so on for however many layers desired. That is just something I would love to try. Then maybe add an even larger outer layer of DWR/wind resistant nylon, or not. But I just "feel" like this would be a good way to maintain a small gap even after cinching up the ends and edges nice and tight, and I'd like to to try it out.

Or I might do it like I do my WB Climashield "Yeti". An inner layer of nylon with a ~ sq.yd ( torso size ) of Climashield sewn somewhat loosely to it. Then I drape it (inside out) over several pillows to simulate the shape it assumes when I am using it. Then I add a piece of same size CS draping it loosely over the first layer, and sew it on. Or, I just do as WBG recommended and sew the edges of the 2nd layer ~ 3/4-1" form the edges of the 1st layer. This prevents compression of the layers, even though all layers are the same size.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-02-2010 at 22:14.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast