Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

gnome's pics

I invited gnome to send me the pics and I'd post them. Here they are, with his captions....

cuben bridge Hammock, olive color.(.44?), with c end caps, modified to make a rather deep end pockets. Nanatuk down bag, modified for OQ, (with foot box), (blue) Nanatuk down bag modified for 3/4 UQ, with light (.33?) cuben sewed on bottom. Head end spreader about 4 inches longer than the foot spreader
    100_1897 - Copy.jpg

head end with spreader bar, Modified adjustable Ti goat hiking stick. (note custom canted grip), note short extension, removable (carbon fiber tube) on head of stick.
    100_1898 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Tip of hiking pole where it connects to (and in) the head end of the bridge. Fits into a small reinforced hole, (this is the simplest method I could think of) and the forces are diectlly in line with the hiking pole.
    100_1901 - Copy (2).jpg

Hiking pole tip end, top the grip end, blunted nail epoxied, (with string) into carbon fiber tube.
    100_1913.jpg

I will only add that if this is the same stuff I bought with gnome, the weight is closer to 0.6 oz/sq yd.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Great looking bridge! It looks like you used the cuben in the suspension triangles or is that cuben wrapped around the webbing?

Tip of hiking pole where it connects to (and in) the head end of the bridge. Fits into a small reinforced hole, (this is the simplest method I could think of) and the forces are diectlly in line with the hiking pole.
    I also use the Ti-goat poles on my bridge. I learned the hard way that the pole tips are made to flex when you are using for the intended purpose as hiking poles. I woke up to what I thought was a pole breaking and the hammock dropped due to the pole no longer in the spreader bar position. After I found the pole (a few feet away) I saw that the pole tip had bent starting right below the threads where the basket attaches. I was able to straighten due to the fact it is designed to give this way. I was using amsteel with a slightly different contact point that contributed to my failure but you may have the potential for the same issue. I now connect behind the threads for the basket.

I know that there are a lot of contributing factors to the pressure on the spreader bars but I found the combo that made for an interesting way to wake up
    Last edited by hangnout; 11-09-2010 at 02:17.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Very thought-provoking. Nice work, Gnome, and thanks to Griz for posting the pics. I knew they'd be worth waiting for. I will start a new thread to discuss trekking pole handle modifications.

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    re ti goat stix bending. If the poles are in direct line with the suspension, the force will be completely in compression, and carbon fiber is a bear in compression. Just dont try to make it bend. Note my stix are directly in line with the suspension. gnome

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    and mucho gracias, to Grizz not only is he the Hammock Dr. but he is also the computer guru, (and in addition he is saving the world from run-away electrons on a daily basis! )$%*%^&(_) gnome
    (I'll master the pics sequence sometime, but prob not in my life time!)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12