HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Cheap Hammock As Overcover

Can anyone who has experience with overcovers give me their thoughts on how this might work for me.

I was planning on putting my very light backyard hammock under my quilt to add some temp rating. Then it occurred to me to use it as a large overcover and let it hang low to cut the wind from getting to the quilt and me.

Then I removed the suspension line from the channel and clipped the sides closed. Seems to work better. It's attached to the main hammock suspension with prussics, and is slightly above the ridgeline of my HH Expedition.

I can still easily get into the side zip of the hammock. It should breath well, and will hopefully cut most of the wind. If wet snow or rain is in the forecast
    I plan to put a tarp over the whole thing. I hope to be able to go well below freezing with my new AHE Potomac underquilt and the overcover.

" I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    It's a good idea, but with a couple of downsides worth mentioning.

Most hammocks are made out of breathable material. Not a quality you want in an undercover/weathershield.

And it's bulky (compared to a couple of alternatives).

A very common multi-use item that is popular around here is the Poncho (Dri-ducks or US Military style). I prefer to use the stock Hennessy asym fly that came with my hammock. It works great as an undercover, and is camo to match my main tarp and hide the UQ.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think as a breathable top cover, it looks as though it will do a decent job. It may be a bit heavier than optimal and not so tailored a fit, but usable. Breathable is good to vent some of your exhaled moisture that will otherwise collect on the top cover (a problem with the BBO in sub-freezing temps). The BBO is DWR nylon and works well to add a few degrees of warmth and reduce wind, but it does constitute a place for exhalation moisture to collect (warm water vapor hitting cold, sub-freezing object).
    Last edited by beep; 11-03-2010 at 20:36.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I can attest to the BBO collecting moisture in subfreezing weather. I had this happen to me this past weekend. Not a real problem but it did lead to a wet back while I was getting out of the hammock. But the extra warmth far outweighed the inconvenience that I suffered............
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have a BBO and used it twice now down to 38*. I love it. It's tiny in its stuff sack, weights nothing, still lets through some light and definitely blocks the wind and holds in heat. I highly recommend it. Mine's camo.

I had condensation the first time where I was using a mylar sun screen under my feet. The second time, I didn't use the sun screen and had no moisture at all.

I'm hoping to get below freezing this weekend. If it does, I'll post what happened.
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    In those conditions you may want to undo the top tabs to create a vent at the top of the hammock or leave a small bit of zipper opened near your head.Though in the right conditions I have had condensation form on the bug netting alone. Sometimes it just can't be prevented.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    In those conditions you may want to undo the top tabs to create a vent at the top of the hammock or leave a small bit of zipper opened near your head.Though in the right conditions I have had condensation form on the bug netting alone. Sometimes it just can't be prevented.
    Good suggestions! I, too, have had condensation on the bug netting when not using the BBO, though never very much. If it's very still (no wind) and especially below freezing, condensation is a possibility.

This year, I'm planning to focus on using my WB Traveler in colder, non-buggy weather. The BBO doesn't fit the Traveler as well as it does the Blackbird.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

• + New Posts