Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I was asking about body heat. I know it would be hard to feel, but i was thinking scientifically one color may be better then another. fast drying won't be an issue if I have the outside be forest green, coyote brown, or other earthy tones (right).

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Conduction will be constant regardless of color...but we were discussing the effect of color on underquilts.

Reflective isn't only shiny stuff - white fabric reflects more than black fabric. Therefore, a white underquilt will reflect more heat than a black one.

Black absorbs AND radiates better than white. That's why, in the summer, you'll feel more heat if you hold your hand above a black object than a white one. You're feeling the radiation from it.

So take those two thing together, and a black underquilt will absorb your heat rather than reflect it back to your body so you can use it...meaning, you DON'T WANT your quilt to store heat. You want your body storing the heat. That's the theory, anyway - the best option we have right now is to let the quilt store the heat in the loft b/c there's no way to maintain 100% of the heat in your body or reflect it all back at you.

But like I said before, I don't think color makes a meaningful difference as far as heat goes, so this debate is all academic, IMO. I'd choose colors based on what I like or what's in the $1 bin. But like I said, I haven't tested this so this post is worth about $.02 more than you paid for it (but it's my $.02 ).
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i've wondered if same principals apply to colored fabrics when there is no light source involved to put off energy (like the sun)?
    would a black & a white fabric react different in relation to a person's body heat in the dark?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yes - energy is energy (there are different types of energy, obviously, but for this purpose it's the same), and light is only one form. It's just a very noticeable form b/c of the sun...makes a big difference on a sunny day, especially when there's no wind. AFAIK, at least - I'm sure there's a physicist on here who can pipe in with a more educated opinion...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    I don't think anything has color in the dark. Every living thing on this planet has evolved (or created) based on the natural light spectrum and human-made things have been picked out based on preferences and necessities.

I was thinking about this, and it got me to wondering. Most of the time, when it's cold out, underquilts are going to be shaded from the sun anyway. And if you have a winter tarptent thing going on, what is the best color for a tarp, to get maximum warmth on your side of the tarp? Any clear silnylon out there?

Images
    Interesting academic discussion.
    I can see both sides of the issue.
    In Ed Speers book he mentions that one should use light colors for interior linings b/c of the radiative heat properties of it. This may be the real reason that Polar Bears are white.

That said, I am making a peapod and using black on the inside for two major reasons...

1. It does not show dirt as bad as white or light colored.
    2. It is what I found in the $1 bin and WW.

JMO
    "Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured"

polar bears have black skin with white fur. I will try for a lighter color. why? because i'm me.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronjreed View Post
    This may be the real reason that Polar Bears are white.
    I really think he's kidding in that quote. Polar bears are white because they blend in with snow

You're probably kidding too! Oh well.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    I don't think anything has color in the dark.
    The truth exists regardless of our ability to perceive it.

If the physical properties of this material cause it to absorb/radiate energy, that happens whether or not one mode of our perceptors (in this case, eyes) are sensitive enough to notice. (That sounds smarter than I really am...just couldn't think of another way to say it...it's still early!) And light is only one form of energy...which easily converts to heat.

My thoughts on it, anyway - still waiting on a volunteer to test it!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I really think he's kidding in that quote. Polar bears are white because they blend in with snow

You're probably kidding too! Oh well.
    Actually neither are...

Polar bears have dark skin and actually CLEAR fur that simply appears white. This lets them blend in with the snow and collect heat from the sun at the same time....Its pretty darn amazing....
    So many projects, So little time....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast