WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I just had an epiphany while setting up my hammock. I have tried many different suspensions but I favour webbing and cinch buckles. The only minor annoyance of using them is when the trees are close together I have to feed all the excess webbing through the buckles which in my case is 10 or 15 feet. I could always wrap the excess webbing around the tree but I found an easier way to deal with it.

Basically I discovered I can make a slipped cinch on the buckles. All I have to do is fold the webbing leaving the excess dangling. Then I feed the folded edge through the cinch buckles like normal. The beauty of this is I can fold the webbing wherever I want so I only ever need to feed a few inches through the buckles. Take down is easy. All I have to do is separate the two buckles and keep them apart with one hand and then pull the loose end of the webbing and the whole thing comes apart.

I'm probably not the first person to do this but I thought it might be useful to other webbing and cinch buckle users. Maybe others can try it and provide some feedback.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Odds
    I have done exactly what you describe with all of my hammocks. I have found that it is very useful at keeping the extra webbing on the tail end out of the dirt or mud. I did notice that there are some adverse affects to doing your webbing this way. While I was hanging about a month ago I noticed that there were several wear spots on the webbing (strapworks 1" polyester webbing) from the CB's (triangle type AHE sales). I got a BB (with Brandon's new CB's, very similar to AHE type) from another HF member and rigged the suspension just like before and noticed that there was a wear spot on this webbing as well. Mind you I am a larger variety hanger (big fella) and may have been placing to much stress on the webbing when it is in the CB. Last weekend at the MWL Hang in TN I went back to pulling the webbing single through the CB and had no noticeable wear on the webbing. I placed a half hitch in the tail end of the webbing to get the webbing off the ground.

I not saying not to do your webbing suspension this way but I would warn you to check the webbing for undo wear from this point on. The wear will be on the edge of the webbing not the flat face of the webbing. I hope this helps and have fun hanging in the trees!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep an eye on it to see if the same happens to me. I have the same gear as you and I'm a big fella as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Odds
    I have done exactly what you describe with all of my hammocks. I have found that it is very useful at keeping the extra webbing on the tail end out of the dirt or mud. I did notice that there are some adverse affects to doing your webbing this way. While I was hanging about a month ago I noticed that there were several wear spots on the webbing (strapworks 1" polyester webbing) from the CB's (triangle type AHE sales). I got a BB (with Brandon's new CB's, very similar to AHE type) from another HF member and rigged the suspension just like before and noticed that there was a wear spot on this webbing as well. Mind you I am a larger variety hanger (big fella) and may have been placing to much stress on the webbing when it is in the CB. Last weekend at the MWL Hang in TN I went back to pulling the webbing single through the CB and had no noticeable wear on the webbing. I placed a half hitch in the tail end of the webbing to get the webbing off the ground.

I not saying not to do your webbing suspension this way but I would warn you to check the webbing for undo wear from this point on. The wear will be on the edge of the webbing not the flat face of the webbing. I hope this helps and have fun hanging in the trees!!!!!!!!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 + 1.7DL, TRAV 1.7DL, HHEXPLR
    Tarp
    Superfly, HH Hex
    Insulation
    3S Incubator & CN
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutchies
    Where do Brandon's cinch buckles come from? I gave my stock webbing suspension from my BB to my brother, for is Big Agnes. Can't remember where they come from, and want to get them a hammock I keep in my car for relaxing and hikes. Anyone know?

Hammock
    BB 1.1 + 1.7DL, TRAV 1.7DL, HHEXPLR
    Tarp
    Superfly, HH Hex
    Insulation
    3S Incubator & CN
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutchies
    I found these. But they are steel, too big, and no where near as pretty as Brandon's.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    +1 on the AHE CB's. Very good kit. Check with Brandon he may sell you a set, also his CB's are very similar to Pauls at AHE.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Bump for more input.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I'm unclear as to why you want to remove the webbing from the buckles. Keeping everything in one sock, and ready to hang, is the beauty of a webbing/cinch buckle suspension.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I'm unclear as to why you want to remove the webbing from the buckles. Keeping everything in one sock, and ready to hang, is the beauty of a webbing/cinch buckle suspension.
    Just like to keep pine resin and other tree guck off the hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast