Images

How to fix my old dutch army down sleeping bag

Ive had this old sleeping bag for more then 15 yrs. Its loft is gone want to refill down to it. want to know how any suggestens would be more appreciated.

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    I think it would be more time consuming than it's worth. sure you'll save a few bucks but your probably going to have a nice mess of down to clean up.
    but if you really want to do it, find a suitable place to unsew an opening to add the down, make sure it's only a small opening, tape it shut until your ready to fill, just be careful you don't move the bag too much.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Probably a dumb question but have you washed the bag lately? Dirt and body oil make the down clump so you lose loft. A gentle wash/dry/fluff cycle might bring it back to life.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Look for ReviveX Down cleaner. It cleans people oils without stripping the down of its loft-giving oils. Or something like that. Just don't use normal detergent.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    I think it would be more time consuming than it's worth. sure you'll save a few bucks but your probably going to have a nice mess of down to clean up.
    but if you really want to do it, find a suitable place to unsew an opening to add the down, make sure it's only a small opening, tape it shut until your ready to fill, just be careful you don't move the bag too much.
    A few months ago my zipper busted so i went to the dry cleaners to get my zipper fix so they fix it. They said Ill take 2 days but took one week to get it back. The reason was they wash it, so its clean and with new zipper. for years i wanted to refill my sleeping bag for years.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by LIBERATOR13 View Post
    A few months ago my zipper busted so i went to the dry cleaners to get my zipper fix so they fix it. They said Ill take 2 days but took one week to get it back. The reason was they wash it, so its clean and with new zipper. for years i wanted to refill my sleeping bag for years.
    Oh...you aren't supposed to dry clean down.

Though if it's mostly feathers rather than down, I guess it's less damaging. And maybe they used down detergents instead of petrochemicals....

You could try popping open the seam and physically checking the down yourself. See if it looks crushed or fluffed up. A proper down cluster looks like this:

Healthy feathers look like this:

I suppose if you want an adventure, you could open up a whole seam, vacuum out the old down, and re-stuff it with down from HamockGear.com
    I'm betting replacing the down with new, higher power down, will more than refresh this bag...it will improve it greatly.
    That said, it would have to be a pretty impressive sleeping bag for me to want to go to the effort. I'd much rather make or buy something lighter and more packable.
    Last edited by Lonely Raven; 11-04-2010 at 15:24.

Images
    [QUOTE=Lonely Raven;347309]Oh...you aren't supposed to dry clean down.

Though if it's mostly feathers rather than down, I guess it's less damaging. And maybe they used down detergents instead of petrochemicals....

You could try popping open the seam and physically checking the down yourself. See if it looks crushed or fluffed up. A proper down cluster looks like this:

Healthy feathers look like this:

I suppose if you want an adventure, you could open up a whole seam, vacuum out the old down, and re-stuff it with down from HamockGear.com
    I'm betting replacing the down with new, higher power down, will more than refresh this bag...it will improve it greatly.
    That said, it would have to be a pretty impressive sleeping bag for me to want to go to the effort. I'd much rather make or buy something lighter and more packable.[/QU

i wanted to buy some down pillow at wally world. to re stuff it. to make it work. but i dont think thats an option.

thanx for your info

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Down comforters, and pillows are mostly feathers. I had a comforter that somebody gave me, I thought I scored, but it was a mess... (not to mention the mice found it in their garage.)

I salvaged the non-mouse-poo'd on sections, but am unimpressed with the "down" quality. I have a bag of feathers/down I'm not sure what to do with now... (anybody want it?)

You could pull a seam and replace or supplement the existing down... Given the sentimental value, it might be worth it... If you're just car camping, maybe adding a few ounces of down would perk it back up...

Any pics?
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts