Tarp
    WB big mambajamba
    Insulation
    stoic somnus bag
    Suspension
    7/64" DIY whoopies
    Images

Can't decide on which leki's to get.

Hey guys, so i am in the market for some trekking poles and am completely convinced that leki corklite AERGON speed locks are absolutely fantastic. However, they cost $120. Another pair of leki's is the leki khumu AERGON speed lock, and it seems to be a just "toned down version" of the corklites. The khumbu's only cost around$75. Do any of you guys( or galls) have any first-hand experience on either of these leki poles??? any tidd-bit of insight would be very appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Dan

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Cant speak for the leki's but I have these which are pretty much the same thing (but made by black diamond) and their $20 cheaper.

http://www.rei.com/product/782129

I had a pair of leki's twist lock which continuely failed on me untill one day my pole bent when it got stuck. So I decided to go a different route. I love my black diamond poles (thanks Cranky for the recomendation), swing easily, a really comfy starp and will be even cheaper if your an rei member and wait for the 20% discount coupoun to come out.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Leki vs Black Diamond

I have an older set of Lekis (Makalus) that I really like. Mostly. The adjustment collars need to be kept clean and periodically have worn parts replaced. And I am dubious over the benefit of the shock absorber feature.

I bought a set of BDs on sale because I liked the flick-lock adjustment. Very quick and positive. But these poles have rubber grips as opposed to the Leki cork ones. I find that when sweat is soaking my hands the rubber actually starts to abrade my callouses (and I paddle canoes and kayaks without gloves, so my hands are not dainty).

I guess I will stick with Lekis.

Jim

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Cant speak for the leki's but I have these which are pretty much the same thing (but made by black diamond) and their $20 cheaper.

http://www.rei.com/product/782129

I had a pair of leki's twist lock which continuely failed on me untill one day my pole bent when it got stuck. So I decided to go a different route. I love my black diamond poles (thanks Cranky for the recomendation), swing easily, a really comfy starp and will be even cheaper if your an rei member and wait for the 20% discount coupoun to come out.
    These are the ones I have been eyeing. I checked them out in both the Las Vegas and Santa Monica stores two weeks ago when I was out west. I have some cheap poles now, but I am looking to upgrade. I am a big fan of the cork grips.

How well do these work as tarp poles? I did not think to extend them all the way and put them upside-down.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    I have an older set of Lekis (Makalus) that I really like. Mostly. The adjustment collars need to be kept clean and periodically have worn parts replaced. And I am dubious over the benefit of the shock absorber feature.

I bought a set of BDs on sale because I liked the flick-lock adjustment. Very quick and positive. But these poles have rubber grips as opposed to the Leki cork ones. I find that when sweat is soaking my hands the rubber actually starts to abrade my callouses (and I paddle canoes and kayaks without gloves, so my hands are not dainty).

I guess I will stick with Lekis.

Jim
    That's strange, my Makalus have rubber handles. They act just as you say, they're rough on my hands.

I liked my friends black diamond quite a bit, they were just nice. They had cork handles.
    If there's two ways to take my comments, assume it's the lighter and funnier of the two.

Hammock
    DIY ultralight gathered end
    Tarp
    WB big mambajamba
    Insulation
    stoic somnus bag
    Suspension
    7/64" DIY whoopies
    Images
    thanks guys, but can anyone tell me what is better/worse about the two poles??
    Thanks,
    Dan

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    From the REI review section on the page for these poles.

Comments about Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles:

These are an instant addition to my list of essential gear. I've never used poles before buying these and now I'm fully hooked. Let me talk about these in specific though: the quick lock mechanism is great, set it and forget it, the cork handles I think are the way to go, comfortable and no blisters at all. I just took them up Mt. Diablo for a good 3k ft elevation gain and they performed. Strong, sturdy but light. The lower set of grips are great to quickly accommodate for sudden increases in steepness. The hand straps are great and can be adjusted via a tensioner strap. What else to say? They even come w/ the snow baskets that some poles come as an extra buy.
    I have a pair of the Leki Malaku poles and if they have a weak point it would probably be the locking system. Though they have been no problem for me. The Black Diamond TEC poles offer angled grips (good ergonomics) and a textured section below the grips for climbing grip adjustment. I'm not sure if the shock function is a plus or a minus but I would lean toward the plus side...the BD does not have them.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I have a set of the BD Ergo Corks and love them. The angled handles really help when going uphill and the locking mechanism is lights out. Throw in that they are cheaper than the Leki's and it's a no brainer. There are several other options you can get as well like the shock system (which is no help in my opinion) and compact versions.

Ryan

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie

Trekking poles

A buddy of mine went to an ultralight set of trekking poles by Leki and he loves them. They cost somewhere in the $120 range but were a father's day gift to him, so direct cash outlay (at least until the credit card bill arrived).

I liked the lightweight factor of the poles, but I am a DIY guy and a bit on the frugal side so I took a couple of old golf clubs with graphite shafts, cut the heads off them, trimmed down the grips and tied a knot in a loop of mason line for the tether. They hold up to my heavy butt all over the JMT here in California with no problem and come within 1.5 oz. of the Leki set. The golf clubs were collecting dust any so I just changed their use (rather green, yes?). Those golf clubs are dirt cheap these days and at a garage sale or flea market they are readily available.

I had been using a set of ski poles I bought when a local sporting goods store closed about 10 years ago. They never failed me, but they weighed about 9 oz. total so I went with the trimmed down golf clubs.

I also affixed a couple of eyes to one of the poles to use as a fishing pole when trekking. The only additional weight to carry for that is the reel and tackle. Every dual purpose item carried saves in the long run.

Happy Trails,

Mike

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post

How well do these work as tarp poles? I did not think to extend them all the way and put them upside-down.
    I havent used them as tarp poles yet but see no reason why flipping them upside down wouldent work.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast