HH UL Backpacker Zip/ HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Expedition & Hex
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Soon to be Whoopie

About time it's cold!!!

Ok so the temps finally decide to drop to what some would consider cold. It should drop to 36 tonight the weather man and my phone are telling me. So after celebrating my grandfathers 97th birthday with dinner we get home and I rush to begin setup in my back yard.

Now I've gathered a crap load of gear to make/use as cold weather gear (UQ/TQ). I figure before cutting and sewing I could use rope and tie it up to my RL to get a feel and general idea of how I'd like to butcher this stuff with my thread injector. To be honest I've never sewed a stitch in my life and after practicing on an old tshirt I don't have much faith in myself. Making a seam that won't fray and isn't ugly is what's getting me. I got the injector and downloaded the manual and set everything up...got it working and tested out all the stitches. I may need to figure out how to adjust the thread tension...

Anywho...

I hope that someone else out there will enjoy this gorgeous and clear night like I will be here shortly. I have to say that with the rigged up cold gear my HHUL looks ghetto fabulous...if I don't figure out how to sew soon I'll be repping my hood at the fall hangout!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Expedition & Hex
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Soon to be Whoopie
    I forgot to mention that my grandfather told me I must be some kinda crazy to sleep outside in weather like this!!

His exact words " you ain't never gonna make it"

I slept outside last night, woke up this morning to 35 degree. I was very warm with my new DIY UQ and down mummy bag. I can't believe how comfortable hanging is and that I'm just now learning about it...

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Good for you SP!! Ain't it great. There is nothing more refreshing than a great hang and sleep. Keep at it, you will refine it, try new things, abandon old, continue to create. We hit 24 here last night, felt great.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I laugh at the thought that cold weather causes the majority of hammocks to get put into storage for 'when it warms up',
    but we get all excited about sleeping out in the yard..to properly test our gear, of course...
    KM

Hammock
    Tarp
    Expedition & Hex
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Soon to be Whoopie
    Well I made it up early for work. To be honest I have to say that the ONLY thing that woke me up was the urge to go pee. I woke up to the outside temp reading 35 degrees ( I want to get a portable thermometer for my RL to see the inside temp on my hammock).

I have to say that simply tying the 2 down throws I just got from Sports Authority on the corners and attatching them to the hammock worked like a champ!!! Inside I hade a cheapo blue Walmart pad with half a sleeping bag on top of that. I layed on that and pulled the other half the bag on top of me...which worked out really well since it had a little hood on it I used as a footbox. I had picked up a top cover from Hennessey when they had the demo sale so I slapped that over the netting. All in all I stayed as toasty as could be in 35 degrees.

As far as putting up gear for the summer??? That's when mine goes up!!! I cannot stand the heat.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    25 degrees out right now. The new Potomac UQ is going to get a test tonight!
    I rigged up a spare stock HH tarp to go under the quilt, and a second asym Hh tarp very low over the top. Down bag as a TQ so I should be toasty.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Camped out on friday. It hovered around 0C (32F) through the early hours, I had a great old time of it and slept comfortable enough. Used my 58 pattern poncho as a makeshift hammock sock to stop the wind chill. I realised I hadn't set up my UQ right in the middle of the night - I had set my sag to 83% to see what it was like (as so far I've been going for a straighter lay) but my UQ wasn't covering my lower side correctly, which was a bit annoying when my calves and feet started to chill. Lesson learned and I'm already scheming over my next upgrade to my setup (it's such fun fiddling with it LOL).

Hammock
    Tarp
    Expedition & Hex
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Soon to be Whoopie

Slept outside again last night. Heres my setup. Was a nice cool 40 degrees outside and I was really surprised at the temp inside. Am I the only one who has to pee more frequently in their hammock?

• + New Posts