Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
FB, that would make a lot more sense. I've been playing around with a down hood, coat and pants with just my 1/4" GG pad. I also used a BPL 13 oz PL TQ (mostly because I like to have something over me) and was good into the teens this past weekend at around 4500'. The Western Mountaineering pants weigh about 11 oz and the NF Nuptse is about 28 oz.

Still I believe wearing uninsulated hiking clothing while using a 1/4" pad will get you to about 57° F.
That may be right.

In a system, if you change one or more variables, you change the result, i.e., the low temp range. Or, if the low temp range is to remain constant, changing one variable requires change of one or more of the others.

My hammock system ended up the way it is because; 1) in my pre-hammock days I learned to really like sleeping in a bag with fresh, dry 'clothes' (base layer) and, 2) with our very cool to very cold western Montana nights I must carry the cold weather clothing. Since it's already in the pack I put it to dual use.

I confess to sometimes missing the psychological comfort having 'something over me' even if I don't need the added warmth. And when I do have a trail partner, he/she usually isn't a hanger and we share a tent. Given the added warmth of going to ground I usually can make do with just the sleeping clothes and a quilt. But most times that adds some pack weight, if even just a little, 'cause I still have to carry most of the cold weather clothing...just in case.

- E.A.Y. You're welcome...'hope it helps.

FB