ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing

FS: MSR Miox

I have an MSR Miox purifier that I'd like to sell.

I've owned the thing for years, but have only rarely used it. I just hike in areas with too much sediment and I need a pump filter to get that out reliably.

MSR Miox kit by mtbikernate, on Flickr

I'm selling this because I want to buy some more gear. Seems to go for $140 retail, but sometimes as low as $110 or so new elsewhere.

This one comes with a good supply of test strips. I used a few, but there are a good number left in here. The batteries are lightly used, but being that I bought this thing several years ago, I wouldn't rely on them in the backcountry. They'll probably be okay for practicing with the purifier at home prior to a trip, though. It uses two CR123 camera batteries.

The salt is just standard sea salt. I'm told you can swipe salt packets from restaurants to use, also...but you can buy coarse sea salt in big containers for cheap.

I'm asking $80 for the kit shipped. I prefer PayPal, since it makes things quick.

Yeah they will eat normal table salt as well. This is a steal on a nice piece of kit. Many people don't care for the MIOX due to the 4 hour wait for Cryptospridium, but after chatting with Katie Bolek, a rep for MSR, on another forum I only wait 30 minutes. Good luck with the sale.

"Inactivation of the more resistant Cryptosporidium parvum oocyst is NOT required in the EPA Purifier Protocol. However, MIOX Corporation and MSR went beyond the requirements of the protocol in order to address any organism that might be of concern to the public. In order to measure high levels of inactivation, a very high initial level of oocysts must be used. In independent testing on the MSR MIOX Purifier, BioVir Laboratories, a government-qualified laboratory employing “Good Laboratory Practices,” started with 100,000 Cryptosporidium oocysts. This excessive concentration of Cryptosporidium would be highly unlikely to occur in natural waters. A 3 log (99.9%) removal of 100,000 oocysts would reduce the viable organisms to 100 oocysts. The MSR MIOX Purifier actually achieved more than 10 times the standard for protozoan cysts, accomplishing a 4 log (99.99%) removal in 4 hours, which equated to less than 10 viable oocysts, even in the more challenging test water.

In earlier, non-related studies conducted by the University of North Carolina (which is not a government-qualified lab for purifier protocol testing), the MIOX solution achieved a 95% removal of Cryptosporidium in 30 minutes. Individual consumers can use their own judgment to determine how long to wait -- if their immune system is compromised, or they are camping at a site that is likely to be highly contaminated, they should wait the full 4 hours to ensure 99.9% removal of Cryptosporidium. Giardia, viruses, and bacteria will be removed after 30 minutes." - Katie Bolek from MSR

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    any interest at all? I will entertain offers.

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I want it, but can't throw down 80 bucks at the moment.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I want it, but can't throw down 80 bucks at the moment.
    Are you able to make an offer?

• + New Posts