Tarp
    Hilleberg
    Insulation
    evazote
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images

subzero hammocking tech support, omg my underwear and my throat

so for fun I try to see how cold of weather I can hammock in comfortably, coldest I've gotten this year is 15 degrees F 25mph winds

I've learned I have to keep my pillow inside my bag or it gets very wet from it hitting the dew point? and if I don't break camp in the morning I have to leave the bag unzipped or it will stay warm inside and get wet from condensation too...

I just switched to hammocks this year I'm using this gear for winter:

panda 8 degree bag / hammock, synthetic duraloft fill
    north face 40 degree bag, synthetic polarguard fill?
    thermarest full size pad
    thermarest pillow
    kelty noah 9 tarp
    eno slapstraps

it's working pretty well for me so far, I am very warm and comfy inside the pod, don't want to get out in the morning, I'm a bit cramped at times if it's so cold i have to zip it all down but when it's below zero I tend to tuck myself in anyway

so combining those bags, 70-40=15, 8-15=-7 so in theory the bags should survive -7 degrees F? we'll see...

I also usually wear 2 pairs of socks, a cap and coat/ski pants if the forcast is low till I know what I can survive

so I have 2 tech support questions:

occasionaly I wake up and my throat feels dry and swollen, I found some heat exchanging balaclavas that warm the air you breathe in, psolar makes one that I figure might prevent this, anyone else have this occur or tried these?

other question is I noticed there are heavy thermal undergarments like this one are those very effective or are they just for wicking sweat rather than insulating?

Images
    i bet your throat is from breathing dry cold air.

speaking of warming the air you breath, i've been thinking about trying a simple dust mask, i have noticed they do a great job of this, but have never slept with one.

just remember to brush your teeth

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    those pants would be insulating. just remember that wind cuts right through fleece when not in the hammock... unless you have a shell on the outside like hiking pants or rain pants.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snull View Post
    so for fun I try to see how cold of weather I can hammock in comfortably, coldest I've gotten this year is 15 degrees F 25mph winds

I've learned I have to keep my pillow inside my bag or it gets very wet from it hitting the dew point? and if I don't break camp in the morning I have to leave the bag unzipped or it will stay warm inside and get wet from condensation too...

I just switched to hammocks this year I'm using this gear for winter:

panda 8 degree bag / hammock, synthetic duraloft fill
    north face 40 degree bag, synthetic polarguard fill?
    thermarest full size pad
    thermarest pillow
    kelty noah 9 tarp
    eno slapstraps

it's working pretty well for me so far, I am very warm and comfy inside the pod, don't want to get out in the morning, I'm a bit cramped at times if it's so cold i have to zip it all down but when it's below zero I tend to tuck myself in anyway

so combining those bags, 70-40=15, 8-15=-7 so in theory the bags should survive -7 degrees F? we'll see...

I also usually wear 2 pairs of socks, a cap and coat/ski pants if the forcast is low till I know what I can survive

so I have 2 tech support questions:

occasionaly I wake up and my throat feels dry and swollen, I found some heat exchanging balaclavas that warm the air you breathe in, psolar makes one that I figure might prevent this, anyone else have this occur or tried these?

other question is I noticed there are heavy thermal undergarments like this one are those very effective or are they just for wicking sweat rather than insulating?
    the coldest i have hung so far is 8.6 degrees in a claytor jungle hammock
    with a 3/8 inch army closed cell pad and a 10 dergree military down bag,i was toasty neo
    the matrix has you

Images
    slept outside last night, 27* when i went to bed, 14* when my alarm clock woke me up. my back was a little cold when i woke up, but wasn't enough to wake me. had my 10 oz/yd xp uq.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    In my double hammock, no bug net (similar to an ENO or Treklite double), which I use for winter camping, as I lay diagonally there's a maybe 12" flap of material that's a bit loose by my head. I let this lay over on the hood of the bag (it doesn't lay against my face). This forms a little tunnel that warms enough from my breath to keep the exposed part of my face comfortable without things getting damp, and prewarms the air I breathe.

Those fleece thermals are quite warm (with something to break the wind on over them outside the bag). I wear them when riding my motorcycle in the winter.
    Last edited by Hector; 11-30-2007 at 11:22.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Hilleberg
    Insulation
    evazote
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Images
    k thermal undergarments going on the xmas wishlist

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've never used a heat exchanger, but I think Coy Boy on the Yahoo hammockcamping group has. IIRC, he said there is a bit of resistance when you breathe, and that they get really stinky overnight and you have to clean them. Fairly easy to clean, though.

I use a Serius neofleece face mask b/c it has breathing holes at the mouth and nose, but still keeps my face warm. It helps with the temp, but if the air is really dry you just need to find something to breathe into. That's something I have a hard time with...I always feel like I'm suffocating! A hammock sock keeps things warmer and a bit more humid inside...that's been enough for me on the nights I needed it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

I will sometimes tie a bandanna over my face in very cold weather, but you know how moist cotton gets in freezing air. I am recently looking at the surgical masks that came with our new first aid kit. Since I won't be doing any surgery, I wonder how one of those would be for keeping warm breath near my nose?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWhips View Post
    I am recently looking at the surgical masks that came with our new first aid kit. I wonder how one of those would be for keeping warm breath near my nose?
    Speaking for someone who has to wear surgical masks on a fairly regular basis, they hold warm air in like you wouldn't believe. Some of the nicer ones won't hold condensation like the cheaper ones do. My advice on them? Tie them loosely or choose the type with ear loops instead of ties if you can find them, they can get very uncomfortable if they're tied on too tight. They can be vented a little bit, just experiment with it and see what works for you.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast