Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I'm 75% alone/ 25% with others. When I go alone I can go when I want, where I want, how far I do or do not want, eat what I want, go as fast or slow as I want and don't need to bother consulting or reconciling schedules. Hiking with others is okay from time to time. I hike mostly to get away from people and cell phone signals.
    I started out hiking with others. Then it became a chore to pick a time and a place that worked for everyone. Once I started going solo, I discovered how great it can be to just grab a pack and head out on a Wednesday afternoon if my schedule had an opening.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 in camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex camo
    I have to agree with a lot of the folks who posted here. Once I confronted and overcame my fears of being alone in the woods I began to thoroughly enjoy time alone in the wilderness. By far the best times I ever had were when I was alone and put myself into challenging situations. Many people may call that irresponsible but I call it being free. One of the best outings I ever had was a spur of the moment trip in what was to be known as the storm of the century.
    I do enjoy the company (especially at night around the campfire) of like minded positive people. However, a single trip with even one negative whiny individual will make me crave my alone time in the woods even more.

Hammock
    Clark CAMO North American
    Tarp
    Clark Camo rainfly
    Insulation
    Clark z-Liner
    Suspension
    Clark tree straps
    I probably should have said this in my last post, but when I go with friends we never camp. My friends enjoy a good hike, but they don't like spending the night outdoors (they're a bunch of wusses imo) so the only time I get to camp is on my own (my parents don't like it, but I do at least tell friends where I'm going, how long I'm gonna be gone, and my expected itinerary, so I have people who will alert the right authorities if I don't re-emerge when I'm supposed to). I don't always camp when I hike, mostly because until recently I only new the joys(sarcasm) of tent camping. But then I don't get out very often anyway... or as often as I would like might be a better way of putting it.

--Kat
    I tweet.
    I travel.
    I blog.
    I Live.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AstrayKat View Post
    I probably should have said this in my last post, but when I go with friends we never camp. My friends enjoy a good hike, but they don't like spending the night outdoors (they're a bunch of wusses imo) so the only time I get to camp is on my own (my parents don't like it, but I do at least tell friends where I'm going, how long I'm gonna be gone, and my expected itinerary, so I have people who will alert the right authorities if I don't re-emerge when I'm supposed to). I don't always camp when I hike, mostly because until recently I only new the joys(sarcasm) of tent camping. But then I don't get out very often anyway... or as often as I would like might be a better way of putting it.

--Kat
    I know what you mean Astraykat, I have lots of friends that like to day hike but won't commit to staying overnight, only a few of us have that in us really. I only have one or two I could really count on and I have to "plan" it with them. So I just take off when I want to. And you're smart to let people know where you're going. I have one trusted buddy I call when I go it alone and if I went missing he knows these mountains here well enough to track me right to my location.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images
    I do a mix. My outdoors buddy is a quiet guy. That allows for plenty of enjoying whatever it is that we are doing.
    (WM)===:::

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I agree to the glacial speed. I'm not in great shape (unless you consider round a great shape), but I like to get out and enjoy nature. With job, 2 kids, etc. it seems only once or twice a year, though we go out in the RV far more often. That said it's been a year. Both kids have had casted feet for what seems like an eternity.

I'm looking for opportunities to go do an overnighter or two solo, but mostly hike with my buddy Joe, who always points out that anytime I plan a trip, we seem to have issues with water... (either none can be found, or I forgot the filter... hmm...). Love backpacking with the kids, but they're not into the trekking aspect. Maybe I need to find a 1/2 mile hike to basecamp...

I hope to meet up for an overnighter or weekend with some folks from here...

Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    Since there is safety in numbers I always hike in a group. However at the glacial speed I hike at the group lasts about ten minutes and I am hiking alone for most of the day. We meet at key trail crossings and at camp for the night, but I am humming to myself and enjoying nature most all of the day. The evening meal and maybe campfire (depending on elevation and such) means sharing stories, telling tales and enjoying one anothers company.
    Mike
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    i have the same problem with kids and trekking part one loves it one would rather be on the couch watching tv. So it short hikes with the kids and lots of breaks for smores and fun.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Not done a solo multiday hike since 1999 but getting ready to spend four or five days on the High Country Pathway... I'm nervous, worried, scared, but so so excited to be going...I hope it snows... My GF is the one who's really nervous, worried, scared....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    I would like to take my gf out with me BUT now I'm a hammock camper and only have gear for myself. So I would be in my hammock and the gf in a tent...not so sure that would fly.

And after working extra shifts to afford this new investment I'd be hard pressed to pay for it all over again...at least that's what I tell myself...in the end I still prefer going it solo, nothing like being out in the beautiful wilderness with man's best friend! It is a feeling I just can't put to words...

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I go alone every time, until my son is old enough. Nothing wrong with going alone. Im about to do 5.5 days 60-70 miles on the AT from erwin TN to Kincora hostel alone. Should be a blast.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast