currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by PRKy View Post

I think I should have time to get to the site by dark.
    If not, camp before dark and find us in the morning. This is not a good place to be walking in the dark.

We could catch some cold weather this time.
    I'm hoping for some cold. got to get ready for Mt Roger's and want to test gear and see how low I can go.

Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    so we'll all be in bed by 5:30
    That would make for a long nite!

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post

If there is a fire ban, I assume the bushbuddy is out also, but will alcohol stoves like the Trangia be allowed?
    The notice of the ban is not clear on alky stoves. It says that pressurised camping stoves are allowed. That said, I will likely bring my alky stove.
    Last edited by krugd; 11-11-2010 at 12:33.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    i'm willing to buy one of those nice amish fire places seen on TV if someone offers to pull their car battery

Hammock
    DD FrontLine
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Stock
    Doctari can carry the battery in for us.

No fire, and no alcohol......

Can we still bring coffee and chocolate?

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    OK,

So as of this morning, it seems that there are four people wanting to stay at Koomer camp ground with a fire pit, and Day Hikes, and three people wanting to go on a small backpacking trip with dayhikes and no camp fire.

Keep the discussions coming folks.. I want to change this soon if we need to.

"dirt"
    “Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns; but that is of interest only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.”

E. F. Schumacher

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Doctari can carry the battery in for us.

No fire, and no alcohol......

Can we still bring coffee and chocolate?
    Sure, if you don't mind setting up the fireplace at around 4:00 AM on Sat morning. Cause that is my probable ETA.

IF we really really need a fire, I bet one could be had down by Swift Camp Creek, as long as it is kept very small & there are NO sparks.
    Along the cliffs in the area, even if not against the rules, I think Alcohol consumption a BAD IDEA, even in small amounts. One stumble & fall,,,, well you get the idea.

Coffee & Hot Chocolate would be wonderful!! My favorite Hot Chocolate is Carnation Instant Breakfast (Chocolate flavored naturally)!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pak-Man View Post
    OK,

So as of this morning, it seems that there are four people wanting to stay at Koomer camp ground with a fire pit, and Day Hikes, and three people wanting to go on a small backpacking trip with dayhikes and no camp fire.

"dirt"
    does this have myself and dlbcorona down for the hike in? i know he wants to hike due to a new bag, i really don't care. fire is nice but as long as i can use a stove to boil water for food i don't care where we go.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Some road, trail sections reopen in Red River Gorge Fire ban remains in effect

WINCHESTER, Ky., Nov. 12, 2010 ? On Friday morning, U.S. Forest Service officials reopened a portion of Tunnel Ridge Road and some trails in the Red River Gorge. These areas were closed last month due to wildfires in the Grays Arch and Auxier Ridge areas, which were started from escaped campfires.

All trails in the Grays Arch area off Tunnel Ridge Road are open to hikers except for Rush Ridge Trail # 227. Tunnel Ridge Road remains closed past the Grays Arch Trailhead.

The Auxier Ridge area, including the trail system, will remain closed while the roads and trails are assessed for damages and potential safety hazards.

The extremely dry weather conditions caused the wildfires to burn unusually hot, causing trees to burn at the base and fall across the roads and trails. Along some trails, the trail tread is damaged where the fire burned tree roots underground, leaving large holes.

A fire ban remains in effect for the Red River Gorge. No campfires or other open flames are currently permitted.

The fine for having a fire on national forest lands during a declared fire ban is $500 minimum and a mandatory appearance in federal court. Up to six months imprisonment also may be incurred. Individuals who allow a campfire to escape and result in a wildfire may be required to pay restitution for suppression costs.

#
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pak-Man View Post
    OK,

"dirt"
    I vote for back-country. I like a camp fire as much as the next person, but I'll forgo one for a bit of extra peace & quiet. As I don't arrive till Sat AM, my vote for Friday don't count, but doing Koomer CG on Fri & Poochies Falls Sat night seems a good option.

I just talked to Firewalker: He & RJ (his son) will be riding down with me Friday PM / Sat AM.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

I hate to break any hearts but there is a red flag advisory in the gorge area. that means no open flames of any kind. They dont include cooking stoves in that ban. They were still fighting a very large forest (1000+acres) fire the last i checked but not near were we will be staying.

Despite all of that you can add my self and my son to your list. It is his second thrip as a hammocker to the gorge so he is excited!

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images

I'm in for the trip!

I've held off posting because I wasn't sure if I could make it. Woo Hoo, events have fallen into place and I will be there. I love back country camping and a fire, but since the rangers are giving everyone in the party around an illegal campfire a ticket I vote for no back country fire. I like the idea of KR campground with a campfire the first night and back country, no campfire, the second night. Will be happy with what ever the group decides and can't wait to spend more nights in the RRG.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast