Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Webbing isn't really better or worse - just different. It's a bit heavier and bulkier than Spectra, but you can leave out the tree huggers so you have two fewer pieces to keep up with. You read about people changing to webbing b/c the HH comes with Spectra and it's something new to try - I don't think there many hammocks that come with webbing that people feel the need to try something new on. JMO. I use both, and usually don't decide which to take on a trip until I'm packing...just doesn't make much difference, really. But now I'm testing a new buckle system so I'll be using that one for a while.

If you're careful to always hang with lots of sag, you can get by with webbing rated to much less. But that webbing looks strong enough. I usually just get mine from Ed Speer's website.

I have removable straps just b/c I'm always making hammocks - that way I can have a few support sets and put them on whichever hammocks my kids and I are using that trip. I've never taken them off during a trip, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I have the cheap gearguide hammock and it came with ropes and a S hook. I gather from reading on here straps/webbing is better. Not sure why though

Would these straps work for securing the end of a hammock?
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1450.5

Also they have these Loop straps which I thought might work on the end of the hammock. No sewing to do Just run the loop in thru and pull tight (this would replace the rope in the end where the S hook attaches.
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1444
    Not sure they are long enough though.

This leads to another question should that be 2 different pcs of straps/webbing or is one pc ok.

Are these straps the same as what most people use? If not what is the differences?

Also Risk talks about straps/webbing he got a Wal Mart. Does that strap/webbing work as well as anything else. It may be a little a more expensive but you have it quickly.
    Those are the exact straps I'm using. I run it from the hammock, around the tree twice and back to the buckle. I'm only 185lbs but as of yet have had no problems. I'd like to see some mathematical proof regarding the breaking point. For one thing it's wrapped around the tree and doubled back so it seems that it would be distributing the weight even more than just a direct pull. I have total trust in them for this application unless someone can show me otherwise. I do usually throw in a half hitch right after the buckle just in case of buckle failure. The buckles make it sooo easy to set up and adjust.

Any opinions on this from the more mathematically gifted?

Miguel

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you have two layers of webbing running from your hammock to the tree, that halves the force on each one (assuming it's distributed equally). That webbing should be strong enough to handle it with just one layer - you should be good.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    If you have two layers of webbing running from your hammock to the tree, that halves the force on each one (assuming it's distributed equally). That webbing should be strong enough to handle it with just one layer - you should be good.
    Jeff

If you run it through around the hammock to form the loop wouldn't you still have just one layer? The backside of the loop is only crossing the hammock once. That one point is taking all of the force. Make sure that you loop it around the hammock more than once.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hrm...that's a good point. Guess it depends on how it's attached to the hammock. When I made a hammock with the channel like that, I was more concerned with the fabric failing than with the webbing failing. The Crazy Creeks are reinforced on the ends of the channel.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    The same could be said of the portion of the loop around the backside of the tree, but it doesn't work that way because you're spreading the load across a nonzero distance. It works that way on Jeff's CC hammock too; the reinforcements at his hammock ends serve to spread the force, too.

I wouldn't try to construct anything like this with webbing you KNEW was weak, though. No telling how the forces will play out in the actual physical situation - especially when you start moving around.

If you wanted to use weak webbing, I'd suggest sewing a double layer of it and treating that like you would a single strap.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Heh. I've got some no-name webbing, bought somewhere in the "cancha" (big semi open air market in Bolivia). It's an inch and a half wide, black, and looks a little different to the stuff on risk's site (harder, more plasticy) and hasn't failed me yet! There are no marks of wear on it.

(I'm also quite a bit smaller than some of you guys on this site... according to the weights and heights posted There are some advantages to being short!)

titanium_hiker
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I have the cheap gearguide hammock and it came with ropes and a S hook. I gather from reading on here straps/webbing is better. Not sure why though

Would these straps work for securing the end of a hammock?
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1450.5

Also they have these Loop straps which I thought might work on the end of the hammock. No sewing to do Just run the loop in thru and pull tight (this would replace the rope in the end where the S hook attaches.
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=1444
    Not sure they are long enough though.

This leads to another question should that be 2 different pcs of straps/webbing or is one pc ok.

Are these straps the same as what most people use? If not what is the differences?

Also Risk talks about straps/webbing he got a Wal Mart. Does that strap/webbing work as well as anything else. It may be a little a more expensive but you have it quickly.
    ed speer sells webbing on his website,i plann on buying some webbing from him. neo

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    ed speer sells webbing on his website,i plann on buying some webbing from him. neo

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm

the webbing from the kayak place looks to be stronger

Images
    The strengths that Ed gives is not the total breakage strength. It is the recommended weight of the user. But the NRS stuff may be stronger.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast