WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

Handy Hammock - Double Strut Kit

My Handy Hammock Stand Double Strut Kit (without hammock) arrived last month but today was the first day the ground was thawed. Test day at last.

The directions puzzled me at first, but it didn't take long to figure it out. The set-up will be quite easy the next time. Having done it once, I'll never need the directions again. (Edit: The instructions show two colors of lines while my kit only had one color which is what confused me.)

Since I didn't order the hammock, I tied a piece of shock cord between the strut tops to support them until I could set up my GT Ultralight with a suspension that would work.

Once it was ready to try, I pushed down on the hammock, nothing moved... gently sat down - the struts pressed 1/2" into the soft ground...bounced a couple of times, then bounced firmly and was pleased to see the struts and anchors held firm...swing legs in, lay back...NICE!

I weigh 185 lbs and I am very impressed with the solid secure feeling this stand has.

Next time I will lengthen the cord between the strut ground plates and play with a longer hammock.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmcttr; 03-08-2014 at 17:33.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Thanks for the review. I ordered one and I'm looking forward to trying it out. What length hammock did you use?
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    ...What length hammock did you use?
    That's a GT Ultralight which is only listed as 9.5' but is probably only 9' the way I larks headed continuous loops on to it as a quicky work around to the whoopie slings that were on it.

I intend to experiment with replacing the spacer rope between the two strut ground plates with one that is ~3.5' longer. It's a long shot but I want to see if I can fit a bridge hammock on it. Since I hang a bridge flatter than a gathered end, I'm hoping my butt won't be on the ground. I'm also hoping the stress doesn't blow up the whole thing. Opps...I think i just voided the warranty.

Did you get the long stakes for sand?

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Thanks. I'll be using a Trek Light double which is a 10 ft. hammock. I think the HHS website says it will work well on a hammock up to 10.5 ft. Good luck with the bridge.

One other question. How long did it take to get yours? I ordered about a month ago. I know the website site says up to 20 days outside europe.
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 03-09-2014 at 00:07.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    You should be able to use a 10 footer. You'll have to use a short suspension. In case you missed it, Derek did an in depth review and adapted it for a longer hammock... http://theultimatehang.com/2012/12/h...-stand-review/

I ordered mine on or about 2/9/14 during their sale and received it either 16 or 19 days later. I was thinking you ordered about the same time. If that's the case, it's probably time to contact them.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    You should be able to use a 10 footer. You'll have to use a short suspension. In case you missed it, Derek did an in depth review and adapted it for a longer hammock... http://theultimatehang.com/2012/12/h...-stand-review/

I ordered mine on or about 2/9/14 during their sale and received it either 16 or 19 days later. I was thinking you ordered about the same time. If that's the case, it's probably time to contact them.
    Thanks. I have sent an e-mail and a PM to Jason. I ordered 2/8 during the sale. I'm anxious to start using this stand.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

I heard from Jason today and he's checking on the problem with my order. Question.....what about a tarp. The reason I'm getting this stand is because I raft & paddle desert rivers with scarce trees. Now for the tarp??? Dejoha had one in his pictures, but he told me that the stand flexes just enough when you lay in it to keep the tarp from staying taut. I could have Marty at WL make me a mini Tadpole with a short ridgeline maybe? Or figure a way to make a tarp work with trekking poles? Any thoughts on this now that you've used the stand?
    Thanks
    Cat Girl

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I haven't tried a tarp with it yet. I'm thinking it would be very close (storm mode?) to the hammock if it was hung from/over the struts. I would lean toward trying hiking poles or even dedicated poles.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I got ahold of Jason. My stand got lost in the mail apparently, so we will try again. I'll be using my stand mostly on river trips where I'll have paddles or oars. I'm wondering about using my paddle & spare paddle to add some height for a tarp?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Using the paddles sounds like an excellent idea.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast