Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

What it was like...

First Hang in my newly purchased Blackbird 1.1 DL last night.

I was hoping to have done this before now, but wanted to wait for a night before a day that wasn's so gosh darn busy if the "sleep" did not go well. So this was my first hang in a BB, second hang in a hammock, the first being in an HH.

If everything was perfect, I would not have had my first hang in cold weather, ~ 38 last night, but it's what we had.

The tarp I used is a borrowed tarp from an HH expedition. I had an older Thermarest and put a new WM blue pad (the 24" version) on top of that. My top insulation is my wife's older Windypass bag that I think was rated to 15 degrees (at one time). A black mamba is in my future.

It was about 46 degrees when I hopped in last night and it sure felt comfortable. That said, even after reading a bit I had some trouble falling asleep. This had more to do with trying something new. Once I did fall asleep I did not wake up again until 6:30am. NICE!

It's amazing experiencing some of the situations I have read so often here. Specifically, it takes no more than being fractions of an inch off the pad to feel the cold. UQ's also in my future.

Next stop: Saturday night with the scouts on Mt. Pleasant. I'll also be probing my buddies to see about warmer gear for a possible jaunt to the Mt. Roger's hang in January.

Thanks so much for all of the great advice and experiences shared here. I'm 100% "in" on hanging.

PS. I thought I had my wife talked into letting me take our cat out to the hammock and test out if she would "make bisquits". She vetoed: "Mike, she'll tear that thing apart"

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    It's good you got a practice run before your night with the scouts. I'm glad this all worked out for you and it gives you some idea of what needs improvement.

Part of why I deal with the weight and bulk of a full sized under quilt is that I find myself off the quilt...I can't imagine making a pad work the way I toss and turn.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the review! Glad to hear of your success.

As far as sneaking the cat out there, you may have to just "grab and go" while your wife is looking the other way...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    DIY 120 x 80
    Insulation
    JRB UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by McSpartan View Post
    It's amazing experiencing some of the situations I have read so often here. Specifically, it takes no more than being fractions of an inch off the pad to feel the cold. UQ's also in my future.
    After five consecutive nights in my HH, I was tired of fussing with pads and really tired of the ever present cold spots. So, I purchased a Winter Nest UQ & Hudson River TQ from Jacks-R-Better (Perfect for my Hyperlite) and I'm much happier! Keeps me warmer and I shed a pound of additional pack weight.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Part of why I deal with the weight and bulk of a full sized under quilt is that I find myself off the quilt...I can't imagine making a pad work the way I toss and turn.
    Thanks Raven, I'm watching your posts closely as I may be making similar purchases: mambas and incubators (I don't like cold feet and I think a full quilt will be the only way).

Firm believer in trying stuff out. Scouts are ALWAYS watching!

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    As far as sneaking the cat out there, you may have to just "grab and go" while your wife is looking the other way...
    SSHHH, that' my plan...

Quote Originally Posted by daltontr View Post
    After five consecutive nights in my HH, I was tired of fussing with pads and really tired of the ever present cold spots. So, I purchased a Winter Nest UQ & Hudson River TQ from Jacks-R-Better (Perfect for my Hyperlite) and I'm much happier! Keeps me warmer and I shed a pound of additional pack weight.
    Daltontr, I hear ya. I just have space out the purchases and convince the Mrs. that the pads and bags are broken! Honestly, she's great about this stuff.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    What shape is the pad? I have one of those mummy shaped self-inflaters and slide it inside the sleeping bag. Since the cover is nylon then it feels like the inside of the sleeping bag. I did find I needed some shoulder insulation so I used a 1/8" 60x40 pad under the sleeping bag.

Since the Troop doesn't have another trip until January, I'm going to break out the machinery and see if I can mangle an underquilt together. I used Dejoha's poncho liner idea and it works well. I'll add a bit more insulation and turn it into a sewed up version.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Good little report

Glad it went well, I thought it was heading for bad news when you couldn't get off to sleep.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Glad it worked out for ya
    can't go wrong with a BB ..i love mine
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Good little report

Glad it went well, I thought it was heading for bad news when you couldn't get off to sleep.
    I have to share that some other experiences shared here with leg problems and the like had me slightly vexed (did I say vexed?).

Thanks Shewie and greenlespaul.

Walking Dead, my TR is about 20 years: no nonsense orange rectangle that needs my air to inflate.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Success

First backwoods outing with the scouts was successful. With ~38 degrees I stayed very warm with the WM blue pad, Thermarest and Old NF Snowshoe.

I'm not sure that this set-up will do me for the Mt. Rogers hang in January. May have to wait 'til 2012 while I accumulate some "quilts."

• + New Posts