View Poll Results: How Well Does Your IX UQ Work?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • 60s °F

4 7.69%
  • 50s °F

7 13.46%
  • 40s °F

17 32.69%
  • 30s °F

12 23.08%
  • 20s °F

4 7.69%
  • Teens °F

6 11.54%
  • Didn't work for me at any temperature.

2 3.85%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Since my IX is just a rectangle, it won't seal up on its own, it needs to be used in conjunction with a standard UQ. Thus mine isn't a stand-alone IX UQ. I use mine to augment my down UQ by placing it between my hammock bottom and UQ. So far I haven't been able to determine how much extra warmth it provides. As a frame of reference, I used it with one of Leigh's 2/3 summer UQ to the mid twenties and was plenty warm

Images

re

Looks pretty conclusive IMHO that until the seal issue gets worked out its impossible to get a conclusive result or a consistent one for that matter.

Good info here. Looks like there's lots of progress to be made once some issues get worked out too.

Since it creates a vapor barrier anyway, has anyway sandwiched in a layer of space blanket?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Since it creates a vapor barrier anyway...
    Insultex is not a vapor barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    ...has anyway sandwiched in a layer of space blanket?
    I have, but I am waiting for colder weather to give it a try.

Re: fit

Sounds like some of you that are using Molly Mac Gear Universal IX UQs might benefit from a slightly shorter UQ. If you sew grosgrain loops on the edge about 10" to12" from the foot end corners, you can shift the suspension to those loops, and fold or roll the excess up as a draft dodger. If that works, I'll be glad to fix it up permanent for you.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OK, at least this response explains one of the "teens". TeeDee also went to 11 so far, I believe. So if mem serves, this "3 layer" quilt also consists of an inner shell, which is smaller than the 3 layers of IX and a final outer shell. Hence, the inner shell can be pulled tight without any compression of or maybe even contact with the IX. Obviously allows maximizing the capabilities of the IX. You appear to be getting 21*F worth of protection from each layer of IX, so far anyway.
    Yes - TeeDee has also been down to 11° F in the same gear. Don't know if I would compute so many degrees per layer or not??

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I suspect that( other than appearance and providing protection of the IX,) the inner shell is contributing much more to the outcome than the outer shell. You do pick up the weight of shells, but looks like it really gets the job done.
    The outer shell and inner shell are similar fabric - both are the lightest weight ripstops that TeeDee or I could find - I think they are both less than 1 oz/sq yard - very light weight stuff and neither is coated since the IX doesn't really need water protection. The outer shell is a digital marpat - neither one of us liked leaving the brilliant white exposed !!!

The inner shell is an exact duplicate of the Bridge hammock itself, so that keeps the top layer skin tight against the Bridge (except for the ends - more below). The design of the top shell then seals the sides of the uq to the hammock.

The 3 layers of IX and the outer shell material are then cut with a different arc depth and end widths to prevent the IX from being pulled tight against the underside.

TeeDee was having trouble for the longest time getting the ends of the under quilt sealed against the hammock. The source of the problem is that the ends of the hammock are not weighted by the occupant and hence the fabric is loose. This looseness allowed the ends of the hammock and the UQ to separate and allow air to enter. TeeDee tried a lot of methods to seal the uq ends and finally found a method that totally seals the ends to the end panels or the hammock, one or the other depending on what the user wants. Another part of his problem is that he wanted the end panels to be removable so that in good weather they can be totally removed to enhance the view and air circulation.

He finally found a method to make the end panels removable and still be able to seal the uq to the end panels when they are attached or to seal the uq to the hammock ends when the end panels are removed. The seal prevents any air from getting between the uq end and the hammock end even with loose fabric there. This prevents cold shoulders and cold feet.

He uses the seal for both the IX and the down UQs.

It is really nice under the right conditions (cold and calm or only a very light breeze) to remove one or both of the end panels for the night. That really opens up the Bridge and makes it very pleasant to be able to look all around.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Three layers get you into the teens? Really? I need to get some inserts pronto.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl w/DIY Risk style bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I voted 40's. Not much experience....using an early model IX with 2 layers and insultubes. One week canoe trip to Boundary waters. One night low was 41, slept well with the IX, light weight poly long john bottoms, dry wear hiking shirt, and inside a 40 degree mummy sleeping bag. Other nights were in the mid to upper 40s. Slept in tighty-whities inside sleeping bag.

Made a DIY baby-orca with 2 layers and insultubes. One night in low 50s, warm in 40 degree sleepingbag, TWs again, and hiking shirt. Need more testing on this one.
    The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why?
    Those gentle voices I hear, explain it all with a sigh.
    "Tuesday Afternoon" Moody Blues

Even duct-tape can't fix stupid.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Three layers get you into the teens? Really?
    In a bridge hammock with insulated ends. Because of the fit, that's more comparable to an insulated sock than an IX UQ.
    I need to get some inserts pronto.
    I've been toasty at 8*F with 5 layers of IX underneath, one of which was a sock. I believe 4 would have been sufficient.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    In a bridge hammock with insulated ends. Because of the fit, that's more comparable to an insulated sock than an IX UQ.

I've been toasty at 8*F with 5 layers of IX underneath, one of which was a sock. I believe 4 would have been sufficient.
    Mac, will the insets do this or do they need to be built into the quilt (the extra layers) so they are differentially layered?
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I voted 50's but in reality it could be more like upper 40's. I have one of the early Mac prototypes. I had a couple of cold nights in the lower 40's during my evaluation phase and needed to get up and put on my backup UQ to stay warm enough. For me they are just too finicky to adjust to keep that air pocket integrity and stay warm reliably at lower temps. But I'm loving it for my lightweight summer UQ.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Mac, will the insets do this or do they need to be built into the quilt (the extra layers) so they are differentially layered?
    No. The inserts are slightly smaller than the inner layer of the UQ, so they are inherently differentially layered when you put them inside the IX UQ. You adjust them using the cord that attaches them to the UQ corners. Just slack off your IX UQ suspension a little to give the insert some room. If you adjust them well, they will take the tension of the suspension, and the IX UQ will hang below that.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast