Hammock
    Clark NX150
    Tarp
    OES 12x15, SF
    Insulation
    MW4, NO Snivler
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    I got the sil rectangle one $200. I have only set it up a couple of times, and have not had enough time to play with it. I want to fine tune my set up, and then send it back to Brian to add some tie outs. I got the rectangle because I think you would be able to set it up with out using all the tie outs. 16 is alot of guy lines.

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KayakCarl View Post
    Just to get things strait I have no problem waiting. I point is I asked before I ordered the wait time, and I told him I was going on a trip at the end of the next month. I was told two weeks. No problem plenty of time. Two weeks after I place my order I e-mailed him for an ETA, and I was told that they had shipped. I wait a week, and a half listening for the delivery man. You know how that is. All that anticipation is today the day. I e-mail him for tracking info. His reply was sorry itdidn't ship yet. Three days before my trip we where left hung out to dry. I was told next week. It came and is now gone. Three times so far. A man is only as good as his word. If I was told three months for my order that would of been ok. I could have made my choice from there. I'm sure he makes a great product, and will be happy with them when they get here. But you must be honest with your customers, and not lead them along.
    Yeah, totally 100% understand. I have had to put $700 worth of equipment purchases on hold because of 2-week delay in getting some of my gear. I tend to buy the near-same product from different sources and than the one I like the best I keep and the rest I sell. This time around, I had something very specific I am planning to buy (no competition) and two different items from two different places have been delayed, and thus messed up my largest purchase this year.

Hammock
    Clark NX150
    Tarp
    OES 12x15, SF
    Insulation
    MW4, NO Snivler
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Yeah, totally 100% understand. I have had to put $700 worth of equipment purchases on hold because of 2-week delay in getting some of my gear. I tend to buy the near-same product from different sources and than the one I like the best I keep and the rest I sell. This time around, I had something very specific I am planning to buy (no competition) and two different items from two different places have been delayed, and thus messed up my largest purchase this year.
    There is plenty of competition for tarps though, and if he was honest with me. I'm sure I could have gotten tarps for our trip.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Tarp I have been using with the WBBB has been the OES DeLux Spinn version. Properly pitched it has kept me dry in windy downpours. For comparison enclosed is a photo of a WB Mamajamba Spinn and the OES tarp. Weight & pack volume difference is minimal. Haven't used the WB tarp yet except in the backyard test hangs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Noel V.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks for that comparison pic koaloha05, that gives me a good idea of the difference between the two.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Hi JCK

I'm another Aussie that had the same questions a few months ago. I ended up buying an OES Standard in SpinnUL and love it.

It packs up tiny and is very light, Durability looks really good and the quality is top notch.

If yourafter more coverage the Deluxe would be the way to go. The micro is just too little in my opinion and Brian actually advised me on the standard.

I just figured our weather isn't as cold here and in the area's I camp in it doesn't snow etc.

In bad weather it's easy to tie the standard down close to the hammock and the pitch angle tight to stop water getting under the edge.
    Mine still ties out fine off tree's horizontal or on my walking poles for a little veranda to cook under etc.

If the extra 10" of width is worth it, that's something that you need to answer yourself.

Either way you will be happy.

I have no experience with sil but from what I have done with mine so far the SpinnUL is quite good. Long term will tell though.....

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    TerraRosaGear Adv
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 900-fill
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Hi JCK,

I too was looking at tarps a few weeks ago, and was also considering the OES.

But then Evan (aka HitchHiking) launched Terra Rosa Gear. I bought an Adventuring and RATE IT!

Before you buy, check out his website (www.terrarosagear.com). My biggest concern with buying from OS cottage guys is the lack of support. e.g, if my WBBB breaks, I've got to pay $50 to send it back, then another $50 to have it returned.

TRG is local. HitchHiking, Lepmeister and I are going for a hike this weekend. Hopefully Hitch takes a different tarp and we'll be able to post a comparison. I'm also working on a formal review, just need to do the field test section this weekend.

Cheers,
    Russ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've already told JCK about Terra Rosa and he has e-mailed them. Its good to have your experience to share with him.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodTalkRuss View Post
    Hi JCK,

I too was looking at tarps a few weeks ago, and was also considering the OES.

But then Evan (aka HitchHiking) launched Terra Rosa Gear. I bought an Adventuring and RATE IT!

Before you buy, check out his website (www.terrarosagear.com). My biggest concern with buying from OS cottage guys is the lack of support. e.g, if my WBBB breaks, I've got to pay $50 to send it back, then another $50 to have it returned.

TRG is local. HitchHiking, Lepmeister and I are going for a hike this weekend. Hopefully Hitch takes a different tarp and we'll be able to post a comparison. I'm also working on a formal review, just need to do the field test section this weekend.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks for the suggestion, Russ but like odds said, I emailed TRG and Evan was very helpful, I may still order their adventurer tarp, but at this point in time, I'm thinking of getting the OES MacCat deluxe in silnylon, for hammock use, and getting a "wandering" tarp for tarp camping, or day hikes/overnighters, where I don't have my hammock (which I'm almost ready to order).

Not sure if I want to go down the spinnUL route, as I don't mind the extra weight and "robustness" that silnylon has over spinn. But I might change my mind.

Rikall offered to meetup with me, and show me his WBB and his deluxe tarp, as we don't live too far away, so when we meet up for that, that will give me a pretty good comparison and give me a good idea of what I like and don't like.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    TerraRosaGear Adv
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 900-fill
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by JCK View Post
    Rikall offered to meetup with me, and show me his WBB and his deluxe tarp, as we don't live too far away, so when we meet up for that, that will give me a pretty good comparison and give me a good idea of what I like and don't like.
    Awesome. It'd be great to actually see it in the field first. That's one of my biggest concerns with buying gear from O/S site unseen.

However, everything I've bought (pack, clothes, WBBB) has been top notch and much cheaper than local, even with shipping.

Good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast