Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Tarp Question

Hello,

I'm eventually going to get around to ordering my self a WBBB Hammock, and obviously I need a tarp.

The tarps on the warbonnet outdoors site are out of stock, so I've decided I'll get one from OES, as I've heard really good things about Mac Cat tarps.

But I was a little unsure of which size to get.

The ultra is too big, but I wanted a tarp that would comfortably cover the hammock, yet still give me space, so that I could sit in my hammock if its raining, and not get wet/too wet from the rain.

Also maybe give enough cover to use a small stove on the edge to boil some water or cook a meal.

I was looking at the deluxe, or standard, as I think the micro would be too small for what I want to tarp for.

As another indication of size, I was going to order the big mambajamba from warbonnet, so something around that size would be good.

Also, as the standard and deluxe dont come with side pullouts on them, could I get them sewn on for my as a bit of a custom request?

EDIT: forgot to add, I'm looking at the silnylon tarps, not the spinnul, not that makes much of a difference

Thanks everyone

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The deluxe has great cover for a reasonable weight. Side pull-outs can be added for $4 each. As for the sil vs spinn there is a difference. Weight may not matter enough for the cost, but I just want to share an experience I had. I was camping with Kayaknut and we were hanging from the same center tree. I had the MacCat sil and he the spinn. Both tarps were set-up equally from the hammocks. In the morning mine was extremely wet from condensation on the top and bottom and his was a little wet on top from dew. Wasn't even close. Not sure about any other issues with the spinn like durability or resistance to punctures. My next tarp will be spinn because I like the idea of packing a much drier tarp and not carrying the extra water weight, not that it's too much. The other issue is when you get in and out of the hammock on a night run and rub your back on a damp tarp. Just throwing it out there so you can weigh the options (no pun intended).

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    I use the sil Deluxe with my WBBB set up. It does the job well. Ive been lucky enough to find 2 second hand. In fact there might be a spinn For Sale on the forums. happy hanging. Brian makes great tarps, although he is still a one man band. Be patient if you are getting it new.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Looks like the spinn deluxe sold already.
    I also have the MacCat Deluxe in sil. Very nice tarp, well made. Nice size. I have used it with a Trek Light double hammock, and I have a WBBB winging it's way to me via the USPS as we speak. Both are 10 ft. hammocks and coverage is good.
    I just started hammock hanging this summer, and the first time I used this tarp was on a Middle Fork Salmon river trip in September. I've had problems in the past with dew on my sleeping bag on this trip, but this year with the tarp I had none. I was very pleased. Haven't used it in a rain storm yet, so I don't know about sagging. I'm going to make some tarp tensioners for next summer. My purchase experience with Brian at OES was really great. I needed a tarp quickly for the trip and he overnighted it to me.
    KJ
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 11-13-2010 at 10:41. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Even though the spinn Deluxe is sold, look at the pictures in the ad and you'll see what a deluxe looks like with added side pull outs. For Sale forum, first page.
    KJ

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks for the input everyone, and those pics cataraftgirl.

When I said not much of a difference, I should have added, "IMO" as I am aware of the "misting" differences between the two and some water getting through, I just didn't mind the fact that silnylon may let some rain through.

I may consider the SpinnUL instead of the silnylon, as its only an extra 50 bucks or so, but apart from the water thing and less weight, are there any other advantages to SpinnUL? I've heard that silnylon is a stronger material.

The Maccat deluxe with added pullouts in either silnylon or Spinn looks like what I'll be getting.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    All the research I did before I got mine pointed to the Deluxe.

Since you're down under check out you fellow Aussie at www.terrarosagear.com.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JCK View Post
    but apart from the water thing and less weight, are there any other advantages to SpinnUL?
    Sil steaches a fair amount when wet, but the Spinn shouldn't. So you can also skip the tarp tensioners too.

I just ordered a MacCat Deluxe SpinnUL to cover my WBBB.
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Is there a difference between Sil & Spinn with regards to durability? I'm thinking of a 12 X 15 OES tarp as a river kitchen tarp. Our main "go to" tarp is a 16 X 18 MSR Outfitter Wing. It's good coverage for the kitchen & 6-8 people (plus camp chairs & the canasta table). It weighs at least 10 lbs. On trips with 2-4 people I bring my Kelty Noah 12X12 which is ok, but a little tight for the kitchen, 4 humans, and 1 dog. I love my MacCat Deluxe, and would like the extra room of the 12X15 cat cut OES tarp, but I need a durable tarp for river use.
    KJ

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    Is there a difference between Sil & Spinn with regards to durability? I'm thinking of a 12 X 15 OES tarp as a river kitchen tarp. Our main "go to" tarp is a 16 X 18 MSR Outfitter Wing. It's good coverage for the kitchen & 6-8 people (plus camp chairs & the canasta table). It weighs at least 10 lbs. On trips with 2-4 people I bring my Kelty Noah 12X12 which is ok, but a little tight for the kitchen, 4 humans, and 1 dog. I love my MacCat Deluxe, and would like the extra room of the 12X15 cat cut OES tarp, but I need a durable tarp for river use.
    KJ
    I have spinn and silnylon tarps......
    I trust the silnylon's durability more. When I bought my spinn tarp from Warbonnet ... he mentioned that I should be a bit more careful with the spinn.
    That is what I know so far.......
    Shug of Spinn and Sil
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast