Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH exped.Asym/ WBBB / DD-travel
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Suspension
    truckers-hitch

webbing and susp.line of the WBBB

had just the initial impressions of my new Blackbird .

first was amazed by its weight and volume when I had it in my hand, but yes it was really a double layer..
    Also the bishopsack is great ! Hanging the hammock is now done in a few seconds. Hammock is in it and only the 2 carabiners are outside of it.
    Like it even more than the snakeskins!
    The hammock is big and has some more sag than the HH, feels like drowning almost but it's comfortably. I'm sized 6'03" but also comfortable in the HH-exped.

Okay, what about the webbing?!

The webbing-suspension looks strong enough but when I take a look at the loop- line ( the one between the hammock and the buckle) ..it's only 3mm!!! Will it be strong enough? It loops through the buckle with the same sharp edges designed to have a better bite in the webbing...
    The suspensionline of the HH is 7mm!
    Of course twice 3mm is already 6mm but it will have only to cut through 1 line to get me down!

I also made a half hitch to secure it close to the buckle but it looks like this makes it easier for the webbing to get twisted in my buckle..(see attach.) The thin 3mm line shifts a bit and the buckle is not optimal in line with the suspension.
    Someone else experience with this?

Finally, I find it less comfortable to sleep with the head to the right. In the HH my face will be close to the netting but in the BB the fabric chokes a bit, fabric goes straight up on the right side..This is not on the left side..Is it the price for the shelf feature? I sleep well with face to the left and at that side enough fabric, so no problem to me, but sometimes it's nice to change sides in the hammock . No problem in the HH but I don't think I will do this in the BB.. Also tried to change to the other end of the hammock, so head at the footend. At that side I can sleep with the head to the right but I don't think I will do that during the night.. and I guess I will have a issue with my 3/4 UQ then...

But, I'm happy with the hammock, so hopefully the forum members have some good tips...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happiness aint at the end of the road, Happiness IS the road !

www.anorak84.wordpress.com

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The 3 mm cord is amsteel and is rated to 1600 pounds, far stronger thanthe 7 mm line that the HH uses. Is is more wear resistant and will hold up to lots of use. With the Webbing and buckles do NOT use a back up knot. It will cause the buckles to mis-alighn creating a potential failure point.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anorak84 View Post
    Also the bishopsack is great !
    That's a double-opening stuffsack, but not a bishop bag.

A bishop-bag has only one draw opening, and a small non-draw opening on the other end. It might seem like a small difference, but in practice one always knows which end is which on a Bishop Bag...but not on a double-opening sack.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Suspension
    truckers-hitch
    thanks for your reply !

So the buckle with its sharp edges will not cut the amsteel?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Anorak84 View Post
    thanks for your reply !

So the buckle with its sharp edges will not cut the amsteel?
    Nope...should last you a lifetime
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    I am a BB newb as well, it will take some getting used to. Watch WB set up videos repeatedly. I have feeling your hang angles are off and your RL is too tight. Until I figured this out I had undo calf and foot pressure in the foot box area.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Images
    yeah, don't need a backup knot, i've had 900# on them with no slipping.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Amsteel is pretty tough, you should have no issues. As I'm sure you already know, you should still always check for wear periodically especially before a trip.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Suspension
    truckers-hitch

first night report out

Slept in it last night and it works fine without a backup knot. And no twisting of the webbing anymore.
    Even slept on my right shoulder..used a pillow and that keeps the fabric out of my face well.
    Only still got to get used to the more sag of this hammock (HH and DD setups are both pretty tightened by me, but that's a personal thing) Slept in it in a diagonal with the recommended 30Deg angle and tested it this morning more tightened (as well instructed not to do so! Bit strange , but that seems more comfortable to me. Maybe because I’m pretty tall or again just need to get used to it..

Thx for making this great product for me Brandon!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    My husband and I both just got blackbirds (me the 1.0 and him the 1.7, both are doubles). Neither of us use a backup knot. I've found that because I'm 5' tall, I sometimes need to use a stick to get my strap higher up on the tree so that I can have more of a 30degree angle to the hammock. Sometimes I've found that because it was pouring rain or night was falling fast, I didn't get my set-up quite right. My hammock was a bit tighter feeling but not enough for me not to sleep comfortably through the night. Maybe taller people have more of this issue than short people and they need to be more aware of the 30degree angle to sleep without problems??
    I've also found that between my 3 main hammocks, the Clark, Hennessy and Warbonnet, that I have to attach to the tree at different relative spaces to have each hammock hanging at a 30 degree angle. With my HH, I can attach it lower on the tree and tighten it up a lot more than either of my other two and still sleep in it with a lot of comfort. My BB and Clark, at least for me, need to be set up much closer to the 30 degree mark.
    A lot of this is found out by trial and error. I know about what 30 degrees looks like and will try to get that as I hang my hammock. As you get more used to your hammock, you'll also get more used to what the hammock should "look" like when it's hanging "right" for YOU.
    One more thing... always after you hang your blackbird up, go back and make positively absolutely sure that your webbing straps are flat and centered in the buckle and that the amsteel is at the back point of the buckle, that the buckle is straight and not slipped sideways or anything like that. Then, you can get in your hammock and test it.

TinaLouise

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast