TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB

Incubator question

I'm giving some thought to a full length UQ and like the looks of the Incubator. I currently use a KAQ Lost River (2/3) with my Trek Light double hammock. I have a WBBB heading my way via the USPS as we speak. I'm a moderate temp sleeper (not real cold or hot). I'm usually a bit of an active sleeper, although I don't toss & turn as much in the hammock. I'm a river runner not a backpacker, so the extra weight of a full UQ isn't an issue. I do trips from May - September in Utah/Idaho/Wyoming mostly. May & September temps can vary widely and can possibly dip into the upper 30s with rain or snow. The rest of the summer the overnight lows are 50s - 60s. I'm debating between a Summer Incubator & a Three Season. Any thoughts or experiences?
    I'm just considering right now and will probably continue with what I have. But you know how it is with gear..... always something new & fun lurking in the back of your mind.
    KJ

Banned
    Images
    Hello,

If weight is not an issue, and a few extra dollars is not an issue, go the warmer of the two.

It is always easy enough to loose up how close it is to your hammock and gear air-flow through and thus reduce the temp-rating for it.

I have the Winter version and very much love it and have no problems using it off-season when weight is not an issue.

Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Yeah go warmer becuase it is hard to have too much insulation on the bottom. Think about how much your mattress insulates and you are sleeping at 70 degrees.
    Last edited by Dutch; 11-14-2010 at 08:19.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Yeah go warmer becuase it is hard to have too much insulation on the bottom. Think about haw much you mattress insulates and you are sleeping at 70 degrees.
    Wisdom!!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Doesn't the KAQ work better for you on the river? If weight is not an issue, and you're not dipping below 30, the KAQ sounds like it handles the temps required and manages moisture better than an Incubator. The Incubator is an excellent piece of gear, but may not be as well suited to your environment as your existing KAQ.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Cataraftgirl- I have a new river that I would be willing to let you take for a test drive if you are interested. It is quite a bit larger than the lost river but it helps keep my feet a little warmer. I haven't tried a down UQ yet so I can't offer a comparison, sorry.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    I have a Lost River and a winter incubator. Both work very well in the temps its designed for. On one hand, there is something about the fluffy down warmth that nothing synthetic can beat. On the other hand, if you are going to be in a area where there is alot of moisture, dew, etc, the AHE quilt might be easier to deal with.

Like others have said, having more warmth under you cant hurt. if you get too hot, its more convenient to vent your top quilt or push it aside than adjusting your UQ

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Kathy, I use a 3 season incubator and my wife uses a winter incubator. It was perfect for her in June on the Middle Fork as was my 3 season for me. She sleeps cold and I sleep warm. The incubators work well with the BB and the Switchback. Unless you are a cold sleeper, I think the 3 season would be more versatile, especially in the middle of the summer. You could always supplement it with some fleece.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Thanks for the input. When I get my WBBB I'll try the Lost River with the AHE triangle thingies. For the most part I think this UQ will work fine. I'm just concerned about my cooler trips. I'm getting the double layer hammock so I can try a partially inflated thermarest for extra insulation. I've never tried a pad in a hammock before and it seems that most folks aren't to keen on it. I use a down sleeping bag on the river all the time, even when I sleep under the stars and I rarely ever have moisture problems. The Incubator just looks like it fits the Blackbird so well with good footbox coverage.
    MuseJr ...... how small does the New River pack down? I can get the LOst River fairly small in a compression bag. Thanks for the test drive offer. I'll let you know.
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 11-13-2010 at 22:14. Reason: add text.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I put the new river in a 8L sea to summit dry bag. It is a tight fit but you still get a couple rolls to in the top to seal it up. It is about 1.5 of the lost river quilt. I haven't used a compression sack so I don't know how far it would compress beyond the 8L dry bag.
    Last edited by MuseJr; 11-13-2010 at 23:12.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast